Big surge in Triple Crowns this year?

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
Before the start of this season, there were, if I'm not mistaken, 48 Triple Crown swimmers.

With a couple of month's swimming this year still left, it seems like at least 10 people have already joined the ranks, including a few forum members, ( @ssthomas, @swimforever, @swimjim, not to mention the forum members who are already Triple Crowns). I personally know at least two more people (from Ireland) aiming for it this year. We have a few more of us on the forum with two of the three done.

What has brought this increase in popularity about? Can it continue at the same rate? Is it an arbitrary grouping? Why two US swims and not something like Gibraltar, Rottnest or Cooke, instead of MIMS or Catalina? Any other thoughts about the TC? (No disrespect to any TCers intended)

loneswimmer.com

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Since 2 of the 3 TC swims are in the US, Americans should be required to complete the three in a single calendar year....

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• firebahfirebah Charter Member
    The story I have heard is that a swimmer who had done Catalina and EC proclaimed 'Triple Crown' when he finished MIMS and the term stuck. Steve Munatones has a huge list of 'triple' crown swims so there is something for everyone.
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    I've heard from a good source that the Triple Crown was created by Morty in a plot to take over the marathon swimming world.

Personally, i don't think it's fair to call it that when none of them are in the Southern Hemisphere. I think it should be 3 channels: English, Catalina & Cook. I'd love to do Cook, but I don't think it's feasible for me. Another good reason to include it. It keeps the riff-raff like me out.
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    @bobswims - You're a great swimmer sir; Cook Strait is def within your grasp! If you want it, sign up and make it happen! I know you can do it...
    @loneswimmer - TC is a challenge, and people are always up for a challenge! With the sport blowing up as it is, TC is a great way to see what you are made of.. Now those Oceans Seven competitors, they are just crazy ;)
    bluemermaid9

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Darren. I took a ferry across the channel in 1979. It was spectacular. Swimming across it would be amazing. However, It is a fairly expensive trip. In addition I have fooled my wife into thinking that after EC and Santa Barbara next year I am going to back off the big ones. Leslie Thomas has encouraged me to do it after I mentioned it privately to her, but she almost let it slip out when she was at my house after the Portland Bridge Swim.
  • As Triple Crowns do not seem to have a governing body sanction, one could make up any variety: Triple Crown Classique, Triple Crown Americas, Triple Crown of Asia, Winter Triple Crown, Triple Crown of Devilry. Butterfly-Only Triple Crown. Triple Crown of Lakes. International Border-Crossing Triple Crown. Qintuple Crown. Really Cold Crown.

There's probably an embedded rule requiring jellies or sharks. Decommissioned subs.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Stuff the triple crown, my dream has always been to age up during a swim. No talent required except for knowing my own birthday. Wherever I am, I plan to do this by swimming overnight June 4-5 in 2014 when I move to the 45-49 age group. It will be sanctioned by the sport of swimming and CoCMSA.
    suziedods
  • MunatonesMunatones Charter Member
    ViveBene, regarding your suggestions, there was a proposed list posted a while back:
    http://www.triplecrownofopenwaterswimming.com/2010/08/triple-crown-swims-around-world.html

Steven Munatones
    www.worldopenwaterswimmingassociation.com
    Huntington Beach, California, U.S.A.

http://www.triplecrownofopenwaterswimming.com/

Congrats Ned, Gabor, Roger!
    (big year for Cx3 indeed!)

• Stuff the triple crown, my dream has always been to age up during a swim. No talent required except for knowing my own birthday. Wherever I am, I plan to do this by swimming overnight June 4-5 in 2014 when I move to the 45-49 age group. It will be sanctioned by the sport of swimming and CoCMSA.

Sort of in this vein, I'm training for a marathon (the dry variety) three days after my 50th birthday. I figure I'll be the youngest guy in my age group, so I'll have to win, right?

Jon

Congrats to forum member and director of the second greatest stage swim event in the world: Kent Nicholas on his EC crossing!

Spacemanspiff

• caburkecaburke Charter Member
    Great news! Congratulations Kent.

Big weekend for 3Crowners
    Tori Gorman #115
    Jim Clifford #116
    Yuta Tsuboi #117

Did I miss any?

gregoc

• caburkecaburke Charter Member

Please congratulate Dr. Mark Smiterman. The 55 year old from Clearwater, FL landed in France earlier this afternoon. He is #122 on the list of Triple Crown Swimmers.

Welcome to the club!

david_barraNoelFigart