Changes at ACNEG?

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2017 in General Discussion

Anyone know what's going on with ACNEG (Gibraltar Strait Swimming Assoc.)?

Due to a problem (we have lost a big part of the last years emails) and also a change in management and leadership of this association, we inform you that during the month of September we'll accept applications for the 2018 crossings. Thereby we call for those swimmers who had contacted us during the last year , do it again and send (as a voucher) the first email.

source: http://acneg.com/acneg publicidad.html

Tagged:

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

There was something on their facebook late last year saying the same thing and asking everyone to resend their emails about requested crossings. I wrote to Rafael on Oct 2nd and on Oct 3 last year he wrote me back telling me I'm still good for my Aug 2018 attempt.

I went back to their FB page and couldn't find the notice from last year. The one you've linked, I guess that's new? I'm going to write to Rafael again and make sure I'm still good.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    edited March 2017

@Karl_Kingery: do you know anything different/additional? I feel like you got a similar email last year?

• Karl_KingeryKarl_Kingery Denver, COSenior Member

nothing substantial that @evmo And @IronMike havn't mentioned. I'm honestly surprised (although I probably shouldn't be) that they haven't updated the website. That same page and text has been there since at least November.

• angel55angel55 Granada (Spain)Member

Does anybody know if the "new acneg" respects the applies done before?

• AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

The daughter has taken over from the father, so they should. However, they function a little differently than other organizations. I would suggest that you consider contacting them frequently. If you have a lot of trouble, please private message me. I have a friend in Madrid who arranged this swim for me. He now knows the daughter pretty well.

ssthomasangel55MvG
  • angel55angel55 Granada (Spain)Member

AnthonyMcCarley said:
    The daughter has taken over from the father, so they should. However, they function a little differently than other organizations. I would suggest that you consider contacting them frequently. If you have a lot of trouble, please private message me. I have a friend in Madrid who arranged this swim for me. He now knows the daughter pretty well.

Thank you very much. In a few days I will be in Tarifa on holidays and I will ask

AnthonyMcCarley
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member

I just received an email from ACNEG (sent to all their contacts I think) presenting their new website, still at www.acneg.com. The new site has a registration button and a clear list of required documents, and also offers, it seems (?),the possibility of swimming in groups. I have just sent them a question via email, and hope the response time will be a little quicker than in the past.

Kate_AlexanderIronMike
  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

Besides the new website, nothing has changed in ACNEG (https://www.acneg.com/en/). There is the possibility of tandem swimming (up to 4 swimmers) to keep costs down, arranged by you or by them, and also of two-way swims, although the waitlist for that is way longer.

Beware of a new association (http://gibraltarswimming.com/) chaired by David Meca, who claims it can assist with crossings too - but as far as I am aware, only ACNEG can do that so far.

MvG