I don't like following seas

brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

My last comment on "Thoughts On Kicking?" gave me the idea for this thread. As I said, in following seas (waves coming from behind, or something between 130º and 180º to my heading), I find it hard to keep a right rolling balance, so I feel uncomfortable until I get to synchronize my breathing and my stroke to the waves period (which is not easy!).

Does anyone experience the same? How do you solve it?

I'd rather swim in high frontal waves, which is even funny.

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

@bruno - I used to eat a lot of waves if they were coming directly from behind me. Got a good tip from @loneswimmer - Pay attention to where your feet are going. if you feel them start to rise, there's a wave coming. The further away from straight behind you the waves are, the less applicable I find this advice.

IronMike
  • andissandiss Senior Member

Backwash - in any form - I hate backwash!

rosemarymint
  • caburkecaburke Charter Member

Learn to surf.

Seriously, learn to body surf. A following sea is an open water swimmers best friend. Get comfortable in the currents and you’ll start to learn how to time your stroke and glide with the waves. Let the water dictate your technique and go with the flow. Once you're comfortable gliding in the waves you'll feel like Superman soaring through the water.

And as a bonus, surfing is a lot of fun.

timsrootDanSimonelliwendyv34ssthomasKatieBunBridget
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

My exact thought, Chris @caburke

ssthomas
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

If you don't like following seas, try fallowing seas.

DanSimonelli

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

Body surf and watching my feet rising. Good advices, thank you, I'll try it from now on.

Now I have these things to think about, apart from elbows up, head down, breath, kick, sighting...

SoloBridgetKatieBun
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Try to enjoy the silliness of it. There are times when you can swim fiercely, and then there are the choppy waves that toss you around. I try to hold my kick in a good position even when the wave action means my feet are hovering momentarily over a trough. I do try to remember to stop kicking when I would just be kicking air. ;-)

IronMikewendyv34