Anyone use those open water buoy bags to carry nutrition?

allanl16allanl16 Miami, FloridaMember

I plan on ramping up my open water swims and want to avoid walking to shore to hydrate. I was thinking of getting one of those swim buoy bags to squeeze a bottle or two. Anyone do this?

Comments

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

You will get many "yes" responses to this. I have used the ISHOF safe swim bag. Not sure if you already have one, but they have two compartments: one for air/buoyancy and the other for storage. It will work great for gels, bars and sandwiches, keys, phone, etc. But they do have limits. The more you carry, the less air capacity. If I try to carry enough for more than 4 hours, the bag starts to drag low in the water. I used to bring a carabiner and clip a bottle or two to a buoy in the lake (below the surface of the water!) on the way out and then retrieve/consume on the way back.

But I've upgraded. Now I drag this:

IMG_2996

It can carry a "boatload" and is highly visible.

SoloIronMikeallanl16swimrn62gregocbluemermaid9SydneD

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

I use the one with the top-accessible compartment. It fits 2 gatorade bottles plus 2 narrow water bottles and a few gels. The extra weight/drag is great training. I use it every time I swim.
    ishof buoy

• SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

I always use mine soloing. I like visibility. Carry a towel and flip flops as well as sunglasses and nutrition if I am doing a long one-way route.

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

I use one as well, for visibility (the one without top compartment). For long swims I clip a bottle with a carabiner and a short line (and my camera, too). But I want to buy the one with top compartment, easier to access during swim.

As I'm a naval architect, I dream of buying a ship-shaped tow float, like the one pictured by @Spacemanspiff (though smaller; but I think it would be less expensive to directly buy it).

• allanl16allanl16 Miami, FloridaMember

Spacemanspiff said:
    You will get many "yes" responses to this. I have used the ISHOF safe swim bag. Not sure if you already have one, but they have two compartments: one for air/buoyancy and the other for storage. It will work great for gels, bars and sandwiches, keys, phone, etc. But they do have limits. The more you carry, the less air capacity. If I try to carry enough for more than 4 hours, the bag starts to drag low in the water. I used to bring a carabiner and clip a bottle or two to a buoy in the lake (below the surface of the water!) on the way out and then retrieve/consume on the way back.

But I've upgraded. Now I drag this:

IMG_2996

It can carry a "boatload" and is highly visible.

Jeez that thing looks amazing! Do you have any pictures of you swimming with it?

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

A lowbrow alternative to that very cool mini-feed-kayak. This big float works well, bottles stay firmly in place even in rough water. And it comes with a neat cooler (I never used the cooler on a swim but it keeps things cold and its great for pool season storage for extra bottles). Thanks Paula!

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 7.10.23 PM

Kate_Alexander
  • allanl16allanl16 Miami, FloridaMember

Do you guys think adding waterproof velcro to the top of the buoy and a bottle would be a good idea? If I'm not mistaken the air bladder is on top so if I add something on top it would definitely push it down on me. I could easily swim to somewhere shallow where I could stand, unroll the buoy, drink, and continue but I rather simulate racing.

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

I have tried to attach things to the top of the bouy with no luck. It just kinda rolls over and then feels really awkward. I attach a bottle to the belt part with a Caribiner and some rope. Then you can drink while treading water.

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

I used to stuff Power Gels in my suit and/or cap during training swims. From 1998-2002, I swam solo training swims on Ft Lauderdale Beach. There was a shower at the turnaround where I come out of the water and take a drink.

allanl16
  • TomDockTomDock Bradenton, FLMember

I gone on swims with a powerbar, 2 gels, a 5 oz water bottle and a pair of sunglasses jammed in my jammers, that's why they call them jammers right! I have those swim buoys and they are great but don't feel like opening them up, digging inside and then closing them. This donut thing looks pretty awesome but they are sold out.

http://www.swimsecure.co.uk/swimsecureshop/tow-donut

Solo