Kotlin Race, 25KM, St. Petersburg, Russia, to Kronstadt Island in the Gulf of Finland

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Ladies & Gentlemen, wanted to make you aware of a marathon swim in Russia!

The Kotlin Swim is a 25K swim from St. Petersburg to Kronstadt Island in the Gulf of Finland.

The date of the swim is anytime, coordinated between the swimmer and the organizers. Most rules are what you'd expect, except maybe that the swimmer and his/her coach/assistant on the boat must be able to speak English and/or Russian.

The organizers help arrange all the support. For more information, here's the English version of their website. The main point of contact is Dmitriy Egorov at Meverick@mail.ru

If all goes well, my family and I should be in Moscow starting in August of this year. We should be there for about two years. While I cannot promise I can get away from work at a moment's notice, with enough time, I could probably arrange to join an MSF swimmer in St. Petersburg to help you with your swim.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Tagged:
AnthonyMcCarleyrosemarymintKellielakespraycthoroldTMcQueenjnewton116

Comments

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

This looks like a super-challenging but exciting one!

• cthoroldcthorold TorontoMember

Thanks for this IronMike. I am working a lot in Russia at the moment and was interested to find out more about this swim. Is it still happening? The website link is not working. Cheers! CT

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited June 2017

cthorold said:
    Thanks for this IronMike. I am working a lot in Russia at the moment and was interested to find out more about this swim. Is it still happening? The website link is not working. Cheers! CT

Wow, not sure. The organizer dropped off my FB feed a few months ago, and my plans changed re: doing this swim. I'll see what I can find out. It is still listed at the Global Swim Series.

In other news, there are lots of Russian open water swims happening. Go to my blog and see my entry from about two weeks ago, I list them all. I just did one this past Sunday so I've worked out all the kinks. PM me, @cthorold, on the next time you'll be in country.

cthorold

@cthorold, I found the following about a supposed 29 July crossing from St. Pete to Kronstadt.

Can't find an English version, so I'll slog through the site and see what the deal is. On the list of events that I have, it lists this "race" as happening 29 July and costing 1000 rubles plus boat rental. I'll let you know what I learn.

cthorold

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

@cthorold looks like the Kotlin's website is back online - I believe you can choose any date you like in advance and then the organizers would work to help you get a support boat, etc.

IronMikecthorold
  • cthoroldcthorold TorontoMember
    edited June 2017

Thanks @IronMike and @Jaimie - much appreciated. @IronMike will check out the list of OW swims in Russia. Will PM, next visit August but probably only to Kazan. Would be great to meet up at some stage. Cheers.

IronMike
  • @IronMike. Thanks for the update. I am currently living in St-Petersburg for the year and I'd be interested to participate, but I have to say I am slightly worried of the pollution level in Neva Bay... I heard that all swimming was prohibited in St-Pete's because of the high level of pollution of the Neva river. Is there any health risk related to this race?

Hello @Sara08! Not sure about Neva Bay. But there are many other OW swims in and around St. Pete. I have a list at my blog here.