Steamboat Springs

SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
edited July 2017 in General Discussion

Can anyone point me to a place to swim (open water) in or near Steamboat Springs? I have a 5-day long destination wedding there the week before 20 Bridges and I don't think I can afford to be out of the water that long so close to an event of that magnitude. I see Stagecoach Reservoir is only 15 miles to the south, but I don't know how swimmer friendly that might be.

I'll be arriving on July 13 and leaving on July 18.

Thanks!!

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
Have brought be down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

Comments

• Karl_KingeryKarl_Kingery Denver, COSenior Member

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Stagecoach/Pages/Activities.aspx

Lake Catamount might be an option http://www.catamountranchclub.com/Home.aspx ; never been there.

You could go to Green Mountain Reservoir (up near where the blue river comes in) or Lake Granby (on the East side). Both have boats, but there are fewer in those areas.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I swam around Lake Granby last year- lots of boats and jetskis. You'll want a kayaker with you. I was there in late August and water temps were like 62ish. Grand Lake is right next to it- more boats there. I wouldn't try that one. Otherwise, us Denver folks don't get that way too often, so I'm not sure what else is up there. I've heard Stagecoach is swimmable, but I don't know for sure. Good luck and tell us what you find out! :-)

• Sarah4140Sarah4140 DenverMember

If it isn't too late: Steamboat Lake, but you will also want a kayaker there.

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

I just finished Stagecoach. It was beautiful. Air temp 49(!!) but water was a balmy 67. 2.5 miles from end-to-end. Only 2 ski boats on the entire lake (but I was out by 9:30)

ssthomasSarah4140wendyv34lakespray

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."