8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - 2018

rondirondi Member
edited June 2019 in Event Announcements

The eighth annual NYOW seven-day, seven-stage 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim with take place from June 19th through June 26, 2018.

Tuesday June 19, 2018. Stage 1. The Islands.
Rip Van Winkle Br. to Kingston Rhinecliff Br.

Wednesday June 20, 2018. Stage 2. The Lighthouses.
Kingston Rhinecliff Br. to Mid-Hudson Br.

Thursday June 21, 2018. Stage 3. The Hudson Valley.
Mid-Hudson Br. to Newburgh Beacon Br.

Friday June 22, 2018. Stage 4. The Highlands.
Newburgh Beacon Br. to Bear Mountain Br.

Sunday June 24, 2018. Stage 5. The Great Bays.
Bear Mountain Br. to Tappan Zee Br.

Monday June 25, 2018. Stage 6. The Palisades.
Tappan Zee Br. to George Washington Br.

Tuesday June 26 , 2018. Stage 7. Liberty.
George Washington Br. to Verrazano Narrows Br.

Only fifteen swimmers have completed all 120 miles and seven stages in one week.

Entry for 7-Stage entrants opens on November 1, 2017 at www.nyopenwater.org. Entry for single and multi-stage entrants opens on December 1, 2017.

Tagged:
evmopavlicovdavid_barraIronMikeKarenTmalinakaFilSpacemanspiffphodgeszohodpm50MaryStellaJustSwimKatieBunsteffieCopelj26

Comments

• BridgetBridget New York StateMember

I'm very curious about that swim series-- I tend to camp when I go to swims, since I never sleep well anyway, the cost of a hotel is wasted on me. How does it work between stages? The logistics must be staggering.

phodgeszoho
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Still top of my bucket list - one day :-)

KatieBun
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Trying to decide between a stage of this or Swim the Suck.

Both sound great! I was on a wait list for this year's. ... decisions, decisions!

ssthomas
  • Bridget, the seven-stage kayakers camp all the way down the river near each bridge. While it's never been done, should you choose to swim 8B, you'd be welcome to camp with us! You'd wake right at the start of the day's swim.

BridgetMaryStellaCopelj26
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Alex_Arevalo said:
    Bridget, the seven-stage kayakers camp all the way down the river near each bridge. While it's never been done, should you choose to swim 8B, you'd be welcome to camp with us! You'd wake right at the start of the day's swim.

That sounds great! Oh, the temptation. I'm contemplating another crack at Lake George, using what I learned this summer, but 8B sounds like a great adventure, and honestly, I think I could do it.

So, when you say camp, are you doing sleeping bags on the ground or setting up tents? I travel light, and have been known to just pop up a cot next to my car rather than take the time for the tent-- but I have two to share, if needed. On a cooler night, I've slept in the car, but I'm figuring the car won't be progressing south- although it if would be useful to anyone in the support capacity, it would be available.

Things to think about!!!

• rondirondi Member
    edited June 2018

8 Bridges starts next Tuesday (6/19). We have 8 swimmers signed up to swim the full 120 miles:

• Janice Burton of Frostburg, MD
    • Devon Clifford of Mamaroneck, NY
    • Patrick McDermott of Salem, NH
    • Steven Minaglia of Kanohe, HI
    • Greg O’Connor of Natick, MA
    • Katrin Walter of Buttikon, Switzerland
    • Joe Zematis of Phoenix, AZ
    • John Zematis of Phoenix, AZ

46 other swimmers will be tackling between one and four stages. There are over 115 participants including swimmers, kayakers, safety boaters, volunteers and observers. Water temps are currently in the low 70's and the weather outlook looks good.

Follow the adventures here:

thelittlemerwookieorcaericSydneDphodgeszohoLori_kKarenTswimrn62david_barrarlmevmogregocwendyv34ssthomasIronMikeViveBene
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2018
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

So annoying... the track.rs domain is blocked at work :-(

ssthomas
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

phodgeszoho said:

definitely time for a new job then! ;-)

gregocphodgeszoho

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

phodgeszoho said:

It's blocked at mine, too. Works just fine on my cell phone tho!

gregoc
  • I'm enjoying the 8B blog posts, which have moved right along from thoughts on training and Ubering from the airport ("We have to swim all the way back!") through individual stages to today's most recent posts, fighting debris and dead fish in the Hudson.

http://www.8bridges.org/2018/06/

And the swimmers rock on!

MaryStellaAlex_Arevalo