Swim the Suck 2017

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited October 2017 in Cheering Section

Good luck to all the Suckers tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.

Prior years' results:
http://www.swimthesuck.org/results
or
http://longswims.com/events/swim-the-suck

Tagged:
ForeverSwimdpm50thelittlemerwookiebluemermaid9IronMikeCopelj26

Comments

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Go, swimmers, go! :)

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

I paddled for one of the swimmers and it was so much fun. I definitely need to mark Feb 1st on the calendar and do this one next year since it's a 1/2 day drive to get there. It was very well run and just gorgeous. Plus we got a treat visit from Sarah T. I felt like a groupie listening to her.

Solodpm50ssthomasMaryStellaKatieBun

Congrats to all the swimmers! I'm considering this one for 2018....newbie at double digit miles.... would love to hear the stories of those who swam. What was the most helpful advice you received and what do you wish someone had told you?

Rich_Beliveau
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

It's a great event- so much more than just swimming. If you go, don't just show up on Friday for the meeting- spend some time there. The current was really fast this year and the water was very warm. It's a good test swim for people trying to go to the next level. It definitely swims shorter than 10 miles with the current, it's beautiful and just all around enjoyable. I've wanted to do this swim for years and I'm so glad I finally made it there!

Copelj26MaryStellaflystormsBridgetKatieBunlakespraydpm50IronMikeJustSwimthelittlemerwookie
  • MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

It was super wonderful. One of my favorite race experiences of all time (and while I'm new to marathon swimming, I'm not new to endurance racing).

Great to meet a couple of you - wish I'd been a little more social Friday night but I was having some pretty big pre-race nerves.

dpm50
  • Copelj26Copelj26 ChicagoSenior Member

It was a fun day out, really liked the new end point too, people were able to stay closer together versus the food station etc being further away in prior years. Plus no rocks as I was getting out this year :)

IronMikedpm50
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

taco. bar.

IronMikekejoyceCopelj26flystormsdpm50
  • Copelj26Copelj26 ChicagoSenior Member

@ssthomas for the win

flystormsdpm50ssthomas
  • We had 103 swimmers, 103 finishers and it was 10.3 miles long. I guess I should have played loto that day.

Had a great time, first long distance swim for me.

JustSwimdpm50
  • amkonetamkonet Columbus, Ohio, USAMember

I'm very seriously considering trying to get in for 2018. I've done Big Shoulders 5k twice, and this year finished my first 10k at Swim to the Moon. I'm definitely looking for something in the 8-10 mile range to tackle next. Eek. I'm backing off of triathlon for a while and getting back to my roots in the water.

I've started building a calendar of possibilities, but really like the look of Swim the Suck. Does it close out quickly the way Big Shoulders does? Any suggestions for things I need to know or should be thinking about as I consider this jump would be welcome!

dpm50

I think it closed out this year in under 30 minutes although @KarahNazor would have the exact number.

It's always current dependent but I think most years it's not a huge jump from a 10K to this race because of the current assist. I think I read somewhere that it usually "swims like a long 10K". Either way, highly recommend. Super well organized, tons of fun, really pretty.

dpm50
  • Swim the Suck is awesome! STS (2015) was my first long swim, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Chattanooga is a great place to spend a weekend, and @KarahNazor is a super organized and especially welcoming race director!

Jaimieflystormsdpm50IronMike
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Swim the Suck closes out in minutes. Best be ready to go the moment registration is open. Have a photo ready to upload. Also have a list of 3 or 4 swimming accomplishments to load in for your swimmer profile.

• Getting set to sign up for this year (or at least try). I see some advise on being prepared with photo and swimming accomplishments. Any other tid bits of knowledge to give me an edge on getting in for 2018?

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

@Toad, be on the website at exactly noon est. The site will let the first 100 people start registering but will only hold the place for 20 minutes. Any entries not completed in that time will open up at exactly 12:20. Not sure about the details but if you have a kayaker (or are pretty sure you do) you need their name and contact info also. (And if they need to borrow also kayak/pfd/paddle). Emergency contact info and estimated pace at zero current also.

http://www.swimthesuck.org/register/ has a list of everything you should have together in advance. I put it all in a word doc (even the stuff I knew, like my name/address) so I could cut/paste it right into the registration form.

JustSwimminaIronMike

I already have an account set up with the registration portal bu I had to update my biographical details. Helps to have an account setup in the portal in advance of Thursday or use you Facebook profile to sign in.

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Success!

MoCoJustSwimChrisgreene

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• Me too!!!!

MoCoJustSwim

Me three

• minamina Newton, MAMember

I'm in! So excited!!!!

such a fun race! you guys are going to love it!

(plenty of airbnb/vrbo cute places to stay in Chatt, btw)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Fun fact (which Karah will confirm):

I was the first person to ever register for Swim the Suck.

slknightssthomasIronMikeSpacemanspiffJustSwimdpm50
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

I’m psyched to get in, too. I paddled for a swimmer last year to get a first feel for this race and learned from her.

Not this year.. . Price tag over budget--family wedding trip in November, so a happy reason. But looking at this for next year!

• I'm in this year! It will be 8 long months of anticipation.

JustSwim