Tempo Trainer teething troubles..

robin623robin623 Member
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
Hi everyone. I have just picked up a new Finis Tempo Trainer Pro in an effort to try and develop some consistency in my stroke rate.

I feel that I may be alone in this ( just my bad luck ) but I am having issues in actually hearing the beep it emits. Standing at the pool wall with the tempo set & the actual unit against my outer ear under a silicone swim cap I can hear the beep just fine but as soon as I begin to swim I can no longer hear the beep. I have tried adjusting its position, using it on the opposite ear, even fitted a new battery but all to no avail, as soon as I am horizontal in the water & stroking I cannot hear it. Like any other pool my own local pool gets busy & so therefore noisy but I can still hear the unit beeping when standing, it is when I swim the problem exists.

I have good hearing in general & was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions that may help. After all the good reviews & posts I have read on the benefits of tempo trainers I will be very index.jpgdisappointed if I am unable to make use of it. Help....please....

Comments

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Hi, Robin!
    I've been working with tempo trainers for years. And I say "trainers" rather than "trainer" because they are finicky creatures! The unit quality is inconsistent, so you may have just gotten a quiet one.

If that's not the case, where are you placing it? I think it works on bone conduction, so you actually have to place it *behind* the ear, not on the ear itself.

Hope that helps.
  • GordsGords Syracuse, UTCharter Member
    I've never tried placing it by my ear. I've put it on the very back of my goggles so it rests on the back of my skull, and I "hear" it just fine. That is, when it actually beeps. My trouble has been that it acts like it has a dead battery and stops working after a couple laps, when in fact it has a new battery. I had much better luck with the first gen tempo trainer that didn't have a replaceable battery.
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone who trains using one of these. Someone bought me one, and I'm not sure I get how to use it (i.e. what kind of sets are people doing with it). Always happy to play with a new toy, but sample sets would be helpful so that I can get the idea. Can hear it fine; just not sure what it's trying to tell me.
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    This is everything you need to know:
    http://www.finisinc.com/blog/workouts/one-tool-and-five-sets-that-will-transform-your-swimming

Thanks to Terry Laughlin

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• WaterGirlWaterGirl Scottsdale, AZCharter Member
    I'll bet anything it's a defective unit. Finis has great design, but terrible quality. I had to have my Swimsense watch replaced 5 times. The first five units leaked.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    WaterGirl, I agree completely. Great design ideas, terrible reliability. I was given a Finis t-shirt last week, I wonder how long even it will last?

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    +1 on shoddy FINIS electronics. I'm on my third Swimsense unit.

To be fair, they're usually pretty good with stuff that's simple to manufacture, like fins and paddles...