The pool rules!

a bit tongue in cheek as usual! These are some rules for pool swimming - feel free to add!

1. Fingers nails should be trimmed.

2. You are allowed to chat with your lane buddy, about the set you are doing, work, upcoming events, baking etc anything goes!

3. Wrist watch is not allowed! No Exceptions!

4. You should always swim by the pool swim clock.

5. Always leave on red.

6. Male swimmers should avoid using jammers (not to be confused as a triathlete)

7. Try to keep the gear at a minimum, dragging big net bags with an array stuff should be frowned upon!

8. All five(!) (Dolphin kick is a stroke?!) swimming strokes should be executed at some stage during your pool swim.

;)

Feel free to add!

Kelliekejoyce

Comments

1. Wear a swim cap if you have hair. Basic human decency requires it.
    2. Don't wear bandaids in the pool.
    SoloevmoJaimie
  • kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member
    1. Don't. Pee. In. The. Pool.
    JaimieBridgetKatieBunwendyv34
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

andiss said:

1. You are allowed to chat with your lane buddy, about the set you are doing, work, upcoming events, baking etc anything goes!

Sure, chat all you want, but for the love of all that's holy, don't block the cross if your chat is happening in the middle of a set. The other swimmers in the lane shouldn't have to dodge you. And you probably don't want me flip turning right on your sternum.

slknightssthomasJaimiethelittlemerwookieKatieBungregocwendyv34IronMike

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

take a freaking shower before you get in the pool. especially if you apply scented things with a heavy hand.

JaimieKatieBunBridgetSolo
  • JayJay Outside Boston, MAMember

Pick up after yourself...can't tell you how many empty water bottles I've seen at the end of a pool. And equipment that belongs to the pool (kickboards, etc) - put them away!

• Your swim cap should match your togs, which should be as outrageously colourful as is possible.

dpm50kejoyceandiss
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

You should be allowed a wrist watch when you're in a pool that doesn't have a pace clock. Happens to me more frequently than not if I'm trying to find a pool to swim in if I'm out of town.

I'm also opposed to talking during a set- tho I suppose if you want to do so, I won't stop you, but I'll second Elaine's note that you better not stand in the middle of the lane, cuz I will flip on you.

Karl_KingerySara_Wolfdpm50rosemarymintwendyv34
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

kejoyce said:
    1. Don't. Pee. In. The. Pool.

Very true-- even if you have to unlearn holding it for open water. ;-)

The thing that must be considered by the designers of facilities is the wisdom of having the rest room be either down long cold halls, or into the cold locker room then past the showers then past the dressing area with CARPET, and then stalls.

dpm50kejoyceSydneD
  • MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

ssthomas said:
    You should be allowed a wrist watch when you're in a pool that doesn't have a pace clock. Happens to me more frequently than not if I'm trying to find a pool to swim in if I'm out of town.

or if you can't actually see the single pace clock from the pool.

oh, and speaking of pace clocks, DO NOT STAND IN FRONT OF IT.

slknightssthomasgregocwendyv34flystorms
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member

MoCo said:

ssthomas said:

or if you can't actually see the single pace clock from the pool.

oh, and speaking of pace clocks, DO NOT STAND IN FRONT OF IT.

Unless you want me to punch you in the sternum!

Sara_WolfKellie
  • ColmBreathnachColmBreathnach Charter Member

sorry @andiss, but sets always start on black top ;-)
    Always have someone in the lane who can count further than 4.

ssthomasandiss
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

ColmBreathnach said:

Or who can at least use a clock to deduce how many repeats you've done by telling time. I hate doing things on an even 1:00, 2:00, etc....I always lose count if I forget to take note of the minute I started on. Put it on :55 or 1:05 and I can go for days.

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

ssthomas said:
    ... Put it on :55 or 1:05 and I can go for days.

yes, but please @ssthomas ,not everyone here can do two mile repeats on the fifty five minute mark for days...
    :P

• andissandiss Senior Member
    edited November 2017

Kellie said:
    Your swim cap should match your togs, which should be as outrageously colourful as is possible.

nice - I need to get a pink pair of briefs now!

I have another one

** Google straps should go under the swim cap!**

Kellie
  • andissandiss Senior Member

ColmBreathnach said:
    sorry @andiss, but sets always start on black top ;-)

My world is destroyed - been starting off red for years!!!