Pool problems - face redness

So basically I've increased mileage in the pool and my face - specially cheek, nose bridge and between eyes gets red/dry and itchy. Just looking at tips to prevent it - preventive cream before, sauna and cream after?

Any tips of cream name brands would be helpful.

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

Cheap Aldi or lidl nivea cream type stuff, no idea what they're called, work fine, typically night before a very long session, if you remember.

Unless you feel the need to spend more on a overpriced brand "because you're worth it".

andiss

loneswimmer.com

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Maybe try one of the excema creams?

andiss
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

A&D?? The clear version of diaper cream. ;-) I've used it for chafing when I didn't need the sunscreen power of desitin. If it is supposed to keep pee from bothering skin, it should hold its own against pool water. (This is NOT a commentary about the content of the water. . . )

andissMaryStelladpm50
  • andissandiss Senior Member

Thanks!!!! - my wife was suggesting I should wear a one type of cream before I go in as a shield and then use a another post swim cream afterwards.

I have been trying Aveeno and Sudacream as post swim cream with mixed results.

MaryStella

I don't remember the pre swim cream but it was like in a jar, looked like vaseline but wasn't!

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I used to use this stuff when I taught a ton of swimming lessons:
    http://www.dermaswimpro.com/

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• Are you sure you don't have a bit of Rosacea that's being triggered by the pool? For years the chlorine of pools had no effect on me, then a few years back I developed Rosacea and then pool chlorine began irritating my skin and causing redness.

andiss

I think you are bang on Mike - what did you do to resolve it?

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Please do NOT put cream on before getting into a pool! The best thing to do is to take a lukewarm shower before getting in the water, wet your skin and hair thoroughly with freshwater first, swim, and then rinse off again with warm water, not hot, and put any cream on after swimming. One of the biggest causes of skin irritation and even breathing problems is all the things people carry into the pool by not showering beforehand. A hot sauna can also exacerbate dry skin and redness.

evmoKatieBunIronMikecurly
  • MikeHMikeH Member
    edited January 2018

I think you are bang on Mike - what did you do to resolve it?

I usually get out of the pool and go run on an elliptical for 20 minutes before I shower as that helps sweat the lingering chlorine out of my skin / pores. This approach seems to work best, and there are also some prescription creams that you can use but...I learned to live with a bit of Rosacea.