Global Marathon Swimming Awards 2017 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited January 2018 in Admin Communications

The votes have been tallied in the sixth annual MSF Global Marathon Swimming Awards. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Jaimie Monahan ( @Jaimie) is the winner of the Yudovin Award for Most Adventurous Swim, for her 24-hour, 37-mile (60 km) unprecedented swim across the length of Lago Maggiore, straddling Switzerland and Italy. Jaimie's team compiled beautiful documentation of the feat, see: marathonswimmers.org/swims/2017/monahan-maggiore.

Congratulations, as well, to the other finalists for the Yudovin Award: Sydne Didier, Karl Kingery, and Brian Lanahan.

The results of the Streeter Award, Barra Award, and Solo Swim of the Year will be announced in the coming days.

Tagged:
loneswimmerJSwimj9swimAnthonyMcCarleyssthomaswendyv34JustSwimForeverSwimSoloArikcurlythelittlemerwookiegregocrlmJanetStephenCopelj26lakesprayKatieBuncold_water_zenrosemarymintswimrn62pavlicovAlex_ArevaloWebstem67orcaericphodgeszohojbsDanSimonelliSydneD

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 2018

The winner of the Streeter Award for Service to Marathon Swimming is Andrew Malinak ( @malinaka ) - for co-founding and leading the Northwest Open Water Swimming Association, and for piloting Sarah Thomas’s world-record Lake Champlain swim.

Andrew (and co-pilot Craig Lenning) navigated a 51-foot sailing yacht for more than 70 continuous hours and 125 miles (including the hours before the swim start). He kept his cool even as mother nature offered Force 5 winds, 48 hours into the swim.

The Pacific Northwest is a region with a rich marathon swimming history but which until recently has lacked a true sanctioning body. Andrew had the vision to create and develop NOWSA, which now advises, supports, sanctions, and documents solo swims in Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and organizes a brand-new 20km event, the Mercer Island Marathon Swim.

Congratulations and big respect, Andrew.

andrew

Congratulations, as well, to the other finalists for the Streeter Award: Scott Zornig, Mark Sheridan, Greg O'Connor, Elaine Howley, Tom Linthicum, and Dave Van Mouwerik.

gregoccurlyrlmKate_AlexanderJanetKarenTSoloStephenAnthonyMcCarleydavid_barraloneswimmerkejoyceCopelj26lakespraywendyv34KatieBunJustSwimsuziedodscold_water_zenMaryStellarosemarymintswimrn62pavlicovMpolSwimUpStreamAlex_ArevaloedwardJSwimorcaericphodgeszohojbsDanSimonelliCathyInCASpacemanspiffSydneD
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    edited January 2018

While I am flattered to be recognized for my efforts, I'd like to be sure that the efforts of the other nominees do not go unheeded. I had a difficult time selecting between two different nominees this year, wholly because of the inspiration and guidance they gave me over the past few years.

Scott, who I've never met in person, was happy to spend some time and share stories, advice, and pro tips with me on what a sanctioning body should look like. It was the SBCSA I first looked to in 2012 on how the organization should work.

Elaine and Greg rounded out my knowledge of small sanctioning bodies during the early days. Our by laws are eerily similar. Their approach to Boston Light was in mind as we prepared for our first, soon to be second, MIMS. And their enthusiasm and willingness to take on big and little swims gave me something to strive for.

Add to that the inspiration from the 2016 winners, and you'll see I'm really just copying everyone else. If you think I'm at all organized and okay at figuring out currents, its because I watched Rondi. If you think I'm good at piloting and being really tan, you can blame Dave.

So thank you to everyone who has shown me how to do what I do, and thank you for letting me drive the boat. And if this helps anyone else get inspired to pitch in and help, then it'll all be worth it.

a

evmosuziedodscurlySolossthomasMaryStellarlmswimrn62JanetKate_AlexanderSwimUpStreamKarenT[Deleted User]IronMikeAlex_ArevaloedwardpavlicovJSwimwendyv34AnthonyMcCarleyemkhowleyDanSimonelliCathyInCABridget

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• God dammit.. stop being so well spoken. :)

ssthomas[Deleted User]Copelj26emkhowleyDanSimonelli
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 2018

The Barra Awards for Most Prolific Year of Marathon Swimming go to Abigail Fairman and Stephen Rouch.

Abby and Steve both did an incredible amount of swimming this year, anchored by performances at S.C.A.R. and 8 Bridges where they finished every single stage. For the full list of their swims and other contributions, see this page.

fairman
    Abby with kayaker Alex Arevalo
    rouch

Congratulations, as well, to the other Barra Award finalists: Amy Appelhans Gubser, Sandra Frimerman-Bergquist, Courtney Paulk, Jaimie Monahan, John Batchelder, and Lynton Mortensen.

marathonswimmers.org/awards/2017

KatieBunAlex_ArevaloJustSwimedwardlakespraygregocSoloSwimUpStreamCopelj26JayJanetMaryStellaJSwimMpolswimrn62IronMikecold_water_zenwendyv34rlmcurlyAnthonyMcCarleyorcaericphodgeszohoDanSimonelliSpacemanspiffForeverSwim
  • Copelj26Copelj26 ChicagoSenior Member

I had the pleasure of being in the water at the same time as Stephen on a few occasions this year (basically every event I turned up to he was there), well deserved

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 2018

The most outstanding solo marathon swim of 2017, as voted by the international membership of the Marathon Swimmers Forum, is the 104.6-mile (168.3 km) swim in Lake Champlain by Sarah Thomas @ssthomas

This was the furthest any human has ever swum, unassisted by equipment or currents, as documented here: http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2017/sarah-thomas-lake-champlain

Congratulations, as well, to the other finalists for Solo Swim of the Year: Catherine Breed, Daniel Abel, and Caroline Block.

This rounds out the 2017 MSF Awards. Thanks to all who nominated and voted.

http://marathonswimmers.org/awards/2017

sarah

wendyv34rlmKatieBuncurlyJustSwimSoloJaimielakesprayJSwimJanetsuziedodsDoc2dockswimrn62SwimUpStreamIronMikeorcaericedwardcold_water_zenthelittlemerwookiephodgeszohogregocemkhowleyDanSimonelliCathyInCAAnthonyMcCarleySpacemanspiffBridgetForeverSwimSydneD
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Woooohoooo! What a way to finish off the awards announcements. Congratulations to all the nominees and award winners and big thanks to @evmo for coordinating all this every year. It's nice to have this reminder of warmer waters during the northern hemisphere's shortest days!

evmosuziedodsAnthonyMcCarleyrosemarymintgregocemkhowleyDanSimonelli
  • I love the smile @ssthomas and seeing your arms up above your shoulders tells me that you have more in you.
    Although from a technique point of view it's also proof that it's not necessarily the shoulders that do all the swimming right? Love ya.

ssthomasDanSimonelliBridget
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I have to say that there were some really tough choices this year. What an amazing group of swimmers and supporters. I put off voting until the last day because I couldn't make up my mind on some of these. And yes, thanks to @evmo for doing this. One day the write in campaign is going to over rule your efforts to not be duly recognized for all you do.

ssthomasrlmSolothelittlemerwookieDanSimonelliAnthonyMcCarley
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

@curly said: And yes, thanks to @evmo for doing this. One day the write in campaign is going to over rule your efforts to not be duly recognized for all you do.

cheers - i appreciate it. and thanks also to @slknight for the nomination and @Fil for the write-in campaign.

this is just one of those things that, until i can figure out how to transfer the work to someone else, is not open to a democratic vote :)

we had a bounty crop in the Streeter category this year, including two individuals who have been centrally involved in the development of MSF, and two other individuals I've worked closely with on the SBCSA. I couldn't have been happier with (or more challenged by) the choice.

It's such a tough category, because "Service to Marathon Swimming" is never a one-year deal, and in practice this award has turned into a de facto lifetime achievement recognition anyway.

Maybe next year instead of taking new nominations we should just pool the previous years' finalists?

IronMikeslknightrlmsuziedodsSolorosemarymintssthomasthelittlemerwookiemalinakaDanSimonelliCathyInCAAnthonyMcCarleySydneD