Braces and salt water?

Has anyone swum in salt water with braces on their teeth? This past weekend's RobbenIsland swim was my first time in salt water since I got my braces on this winter. My gums are completely raw and I can barely eat or drink. My entire face is swollen! I am ready to have them removed before this summer's open water season. Is this going to be a problem as long as they are on?

Comments

• edited April 2018

Why are your gums raw as your braces are on you teeth not gums? I don't think there'd be a reaction between salt water and metal.

It's understandable your cheeks have rubbed them it doesn't explain your gums.

What is your gut feeling telling you happened?

• Sorry. I will edit. I mean the inside of my cheeks. Rubbed totally raw.

• MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

Would brace wax help?

slknight
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Yes! I swam Key West and MIMS with braces and my mouth was shredded

slknight
  • DocScottDocScott Redwood City, CaliforniaMember

As a marathon swimmer and an orthodontist, my thoughts are your cheeks are getting shredded from the repetitive motion while breathing. Similar to chafing on neck or shoulders. Channel grease on your cheeks wouldn't be so pleasant, so I would recommend overdoing it with the orthodontic wax. Actually the key to helping it stay on braces is to use the smallest amount possible to smooth out the braces. Ask your doc for extra wax at every appointment.

slknightBrostar
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I get abrasions on my tongue and cheek from my teeth rubbing them in salt water. It has to do with the way I breath and from constantly spitting snot and salt water out of my mouth...marathon swimmer problems...

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I wonder if you could get a mouth guard created by your dentist? Upper and lower jaws. Sort of like boxers or hockey players but made with thinner plastic, just to guard against abrasion. Just a thought. I know absolutely nothing about dentistry or braces.

• LouisMLouisM Dublin, IrelandMember

Would you get a gum-shield? Might make breathing a little more tricky but I can imagine it would save the inside of your mouth. Just a thought.

• danswimsdanswims Portland, ORMember

I'm a dentist. What might work as a guard is something made from the thinner, flexible material we make bleaching trays with. I'm not sure about the practicality of forming it over braces, your dentist would have to check with their lab on that. Cost could be an issue.

• BrostarBrostar Member

Has anyone swum in salt water with braces on their teeth? This past weekend's RobbenIsland swim was my first time in salt water since I got my braces on this winter. My gums are completely raw and I can barely eat or drink. My entire face is swollen! I am ready to have them removed before this summer's open water season. Is this> > going to be a problem as long as they are on?

I had them on my lower braces and used loads of wax to cover them and they didn't bother me once. I wouldn't use grease on the cheeks.