St Lucia Channel 34 km Swim/July 2018

StLucia_ChannelStLucia_Channel Saint Lucia Member
edited March 2018 in Event Announcements

We are hosting the first annual St Lucia Channel Swim Challenge which will take place on July 7 and 8, 2018 and will be a yearly event.

The channel crossing is 34 km of beautiful Caribbean sea with gorgeous landscapes ahead and behind of the high volcanic islands of St Lucia and Martinique. This swim has only been a done a few times so this event will be sure to attract attention.

Registration is open and the interest form is available on our FB page here:

https://www.facebook.com/SLUChannelSwim/

There are a solo swimmer category and a 2 or 4 person relay.
There will also be a 1k, 3k, and 5k swim meet on July 8th for those participants who are looking shorter distances.

Swimmers need to be able to complete a minimum of 3,000 meters per hour over varied open water conditions for the 34 km crossing. Wetsuits are not allowed and water temps don’t call for them anyway!

As I am sure that you know most of the iconic ‘marathon’ distance swims in the word involve cold water swim such as the English Channel, Cook’s Strait, Gibraltar, Catalina Island, etc….

Our goal is to be the pre-eminent warm water epic swim globally. We have the participation for this event of the St Lucia Tourism and Sports Ministries as well as many local organizations. The event will involve open water swim clinics (as of now potentially hosted by a 3 time Olympic gold medalist distance swimmer), crossings by solo and relay swimmers, and media events pre and post the swim. The swim is set for July 7 with a backup weather date of July 9. Included in the registration is a social dinner/briefing the day before and a post-race social event and an opportunity to interact with local media covering the event.

For more details, you can contact us via email at sluchannelswim@publicist. com or via social media:

Facebook Page: @SLUChannelSwim
Instagram: @SLU_Channel_Swim
Twitter: @StLuciaChannel

evmoCamilleKate_Alexanderphodgeszohorlm

Comments

• @SydneD , this has your name all over it!

SydneD
  • A warm water swim sounds amazing!

StLucia_Channel
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member

slknight said:
    @SydneD , this has your name all over it!

I KNOW!! I want to do this so badly. Not in the budget for this summer, since I'm taking the kid back to Japan in a week, but I am hoping for next summer. John and I have already been discussing it.

slknightStLucia_Channel
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

This looks amazing, but it's really late notice. I'm seriously interested for next year. Good luck with your first annual, I hope there are many more to come.

StLucia_Channel
  • StLucia_ChannelStLucia_Channel Saint Lucia Member

swimrn62 said:
    This looks amazing, but it's really late notice. I'm seriously interested for next year. Good luck with your first annual, I hope there are many more to come.

We realize it might be late for some swimmers this year, but hoping more and more hear about it for next year!

IronMike

Camille said:
    A warm water swim sounds amazing!

We hope you consider taking part!

edited April 2018

We have just under 90 days until our event and just over 30 days until registration packets are due. Anyone else interested?

IronMike
  • LouisMLouisM Dublin, IrelandMember

Camille said:

What is this "warm water" of which you speak??

• LOL- I am a for sure tropical fish!

StLucia_Channel
  • edited April 2018

LouisM said:

Camille said:

I am Warm Water.... haha!!

LouisM said:

Camille said:

How about 25 - 27 celsius year round? Not much hotter or cooler! Come join us.. Only 60 days left!

Deadline for applications for this years event is May 23rd, 2018. Please contact us for more details.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2018

FW&FS to @molly1205 who will be swimming St Lucia to Martinique this week.

Local news coverage: http://thevoiceslu.com/2018/05/saint-lucia-martinique-channel-swim-molly-nance-to-chance-the-course-next-week

Track her on https://track.rs/molly

IronMikesuziedodsJaimiethelittlemerwookieStLucia_ChannelKatieBunSydneD
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

@molly1205 ! You can do this!! I'm pulling for you and Paul.
    Can't wait!!

JustSwimthelittlemerwookieStLucia_Channel
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Go @molly1205 go! Way to start off the northern hemisphere marathon swim season! Hope it's a safe, successful, and beautiful swim.

thelittlemerwookieStLucia_Channel

We are so excited to have been part of @molly1205 swim from St Lucia to Martinique this week!

KatieBunSydneD