Fishpeople (Netflix documentary)

SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Last weekend, "Fishpeople" showed up on my Netflix "recommended for you" list. Here's the trailer. It is a documentary with 6 vignettes of people who share a transformational/spiritual connection to the ocean. I was immediately intrigued. "They better have an open water swimmer," I thought to myself. But then I shuddered, "It will probably be some some self-promoting poser like Ben Hooper or [she whose name shall not be mentioned]."

I was very delighted when the third story was, in fact, an open water swimmer, and even better, it was none other than the lovely Lynne Cox. A fine choice and a great representative of our beloved sport.

The movie won't appeal to a mass audience, but I loved it. If you are on this site, you likely enjoy a strong bond with the ocean and will likely also enjoy this film.

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
Have brought be down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

bluemermaid9IronMikeflystormsevmowendyv34lotechnotechphodgeszohoCKswimsdanslos

Comments

• andissandiss Senior Member

Nice tip! When I saw Keith Malloy directed it I will probably have to watch it asap!

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Oh yay! I know what I'm going to do on Sunday night after I drop my parents off at the airport. Thanks for the tip.

• sosophiaphiasosophiaphia Colorado USAMember

I just watched it as well! Very new to this world, I knew precious little about Lynne Cox. Her cold war era Bering Strait swim is especially amazing; I found myself tearing up a little.

I am personally still terrified of the ocean. Maybe someday that can change...

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Just checked. It is on Netflix UK too :-)

• LouisMLouisM Dublin, IrelandMember

Ditto in Ireland (probably same Netflix as UK). I look forward to watching that later

• Wonderful, beautiful just watched it. Summed up the lure of the ocean perfectly.

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Watched. Lovely. Thanks @Spacemanspiff :-)

• LynneLynne Member

Way too short! :)

• The first story of the diving girl was the best for me, what a great story.....

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I turned this on the other night. My husband likes documentaries, but he wasn't really interested when I told him what this was about. Two minutes in and he was totally hooked. We loved the free diving girl, too. And he didn't know all the stuff about Lynne Cox, even though I've told him. He's in awe of her now. Visually, it was just pretty to look at the ocean.

• KLowKLow AustraliaMember

My husband and I watched this for the first time a little over a week ago. Very good documentary and loved learning more about Lynne. I had to add it to 'my list'.

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Just watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I think most of us can understand the draw the water has on us... it's spellbinding. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Solo
  • Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

Superb!

• CKswimsCKswims Washington, DCMember

Excellent documentary! I just watched it tonight after seeing it suggested here. My only wish is that it was longer.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2018

I watched this with my spouse (also an OW swimmer), and am glad I did, and I hope Patagonia will keep producing/supporting water themed docs.

The film is gorgeously shot, and Keith Malloy has clearly mastered the art of filming a breaking wave from underwater.

The first vignette, about the spearfishing girl, was perfect - visually breathtaking, narratively surprising, with the right mix of interview, setting, and arty underwater footage.

The next one (Tahitian surfer kid) was pretty good, too.

And then..... four more 8-minute segments.

Honestly, the Lynne Cox bit was tough, because I know her story (as do most of us here), and it deserves a full-length documentary by itself. Of the 8 minutes she was given, a full minute was literally Lynne pointing at a globe - the locations of her various swims.

But I agree, great that they chose Lynne as opposed to certain other options. For this project I might have preferred someone less famous, whose story is less well publicized already. Who is our equivalent of the spearfishing girl?

phodgeszohossthomasKarl_Kingeryrlmdanslos