Swim Ocean City 2018

FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member

The nine mile Swim Ocean City event will take place July 21, 2018. This is a charity event but still very reasonable for a nine mile ocean swim. You swim the length of Ocean City, MD parallel to shore so it is a great swim for those who don't like being too far from land. It has been easy some years and much harder others depending on the currents.

The Race Director @Corey puts countless hours into the event to raise funds to help those who have suffered traumatic brain injury like himself. His passion is evident throughout the event. His volunteers and the Beach Patrol all get behind this to make it a safe and enjoyable event.

We recently lost one swim in that area and I would hate to see us lose another due to lack of participation. Please consider signing up if you are looking for a challenging swim that also helps others.

I have participated in the event several times and will be back this year. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or post here for general questions. I may be able to help with transportation from BWI if you fly in Friday morning and leave early afternoon Sunday.

Save $30 with code EARLY2018 for next few sign ups.
https://www.active.com/ocean-city-md/water-sports/swimming/ocean-games-swim-ocean-city-2018?int=

IronMikeJaimieJSwimbluemermaid9

Comments

• JSwimJSwim western Maryland, USSenior Member

This is a great event with cool water (70 F, sometimes a bit lower) . I don't understand why the 9 miler has been so sparsely populated. It's been every bit a rollicking ocean swim for the 3 years I've been there. And @Corey and his volunteers are superb.

FrancoJaimie

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

• AksilcoxAksilcox South Central PennsylvaniaMember

Are you swimming with the current or against the current for this race?

• FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member

They try to get you to swim with the current but it does not always work out right. I did the swim the first three years and two years we seemed to have some current helping. The other year it was against us a little. From what I understand the last two years have been tough and swimmers were going against.

I believe the Beach Patrol makes the call with the safety crew. My general feeling is that when you swim from South to North that the currents are more favorable. Hopefully that will be the call this year.

Thank you!

My pleasure. If you have any more questions that you think may benefit all please ask here. Feel free to PM me if you have anything specific. The swim is up to 15 registrants and has room for some more.

There are only 15 spots left open for registration?

No. There are currently 15 signed up. There are more spots available. It will probably end up at around twenty swimmers but I don't believe there is a hard cap or that there will be many more than twenty based on prior years.

Aksilcox
  • JSwimJSwim western Maryland, USSenior Member

Last year we swam North to South. We started against the current (frustrating when that was confirmed by how slow my 1st mile was!) but it slowly changed direction, so we ended with it helping by the end. Mostly it was neutral.

Aksilcox

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

Unfortunately the swim has been cancelled due to small craft advisory and expected thunderstorms throughout the day. I am going to head over to 59th st beach and try and get in a quick swim before the weather gets here if anyone wants to join me. On a positive note, the post-race party for this evening is still on.

IronMikeJSwimthelittlemerwookie

Just a follow up here. The RD @Corey felt terrible about having to cancel although it was completely outside of his control. Due to having to obtain permit from the Town and having to line up OCBP staff, a make up date wasn't feasible. He sent all participants a code for next year's swim at 50% off. I thought that was pretty generous.

I was bummed we couldn't go because this was the only swim I was signed up for other than GCBS and I was looking forward to it. Next year's swim will be 7/20/19 and I am already signed up. Hope some of you can make it back.

evmodpm50JSwimIronMikethelittlemerwookie