Jaimie Monahan - 6 marathon swims, 6 continents, 16 days

Comments

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Very cool! I wish her success!

BridgetJaimie
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

That is a fun article. I like that Arik is going to use an Oru kayak. We've been really happy with ours. It will fit the bill as they travel from one location to the next. It sure beats rustling up a kayak on all six locations. Go Jamie Go...!

BridgetIronMikeJaimie
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Thanks @evmo and everyone - really appreciate the well wishes. And @curly yes - we are excited about the Oru - I still love your narrative about doing the 10k with your wife on the Oru and then taking a ride share home. So smart!

Solo

Jaimie said:
    Thanks @evmo and everyone - really appreciate the well wishes. And @curly yes - we are excited about the Oru - I still love your narrative about doing the 10k with your wife on the Oru and then taking a ride share home. So smart!

@Jaimie We made two little modifications to our boat. I mounted a little plastic holder in front of the cockpit to hold our "swimmer in the water" flag. We can also substitute a pirate flag for intimidation purposes, or a cocktail flag if we want to make friends... But most important, it allows the kayaker to paddle without having to hold onto the flag. We tuck the flag away when there are not threats present. It's also a great way for my wife to warn me that I should tuck a little closer to the kayak.

Second modification is that I made padding for the paddlers knees against the coaming. This will save you from sore knees if you brace against the coaming. I bought a piece of pipe insulation from Home Depot. Look up Armacell 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Rubber Self-Seal Pipe Wrap Insulation and you will see what it is. It has an adhesive edge that has a plastic covering on it. I left the covering on so it doesn't stick together. I cut the foam to go from the straps on the side to almost the front of the coaming. We tuck the one end under the straps to hold it in place. This piece ultimately gets worn out or torn up, so I wouldn't use the adhesive to stick it to the coaming. We replaced the original set of pads once already and the second set will probably be worn out by the end of the summer. You can get two sets out of one piece.

If this is too undescriptive, I'll take a picture next time we're out.

IronMikedpm50JaimieKatieBun
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

I'm so in awe of you, @Jaimie! What an amazing adventure! I wish you and Arik all the best. Be safe and enjoy every minute of your incredible swims. Goooooooooo Jaimie!

rlmJaimie

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• Best of luck, Jamie - it's an awesome challenge; inspiring :)!

IronMikewendyv34Jaimie
  • kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member

Looks like Jaimie has begun her trek... her tracker was live for >10k in Colombia yesterday!

https://track.rs/jaimie/

thelittlemerwookieJSwimslknightJustSwimIronMikessthomasSydneDJaimie
  • Yay Jaimie!!! Very exciting to watch this challenge unfold!

Jaimie
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2018

The Oceania stage of Jaimie's adventure takes place Aug 17 in Sydney (mid-day Aug 16th NYC time).

https://track.rs/jaimie

IronMikessthomaskejoycebluemermaid9Jaimie
  • SwimSydneySwimSydney SydneyMember

We had fabulous weather in Sydney today for Jaimie's Australian leg.

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 3.10.48 pm

And good job it was today looking at the swell forecast for the next few days!

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 5.45.33 pm

IronMikekejoyceJustSwimthelittlemerwookieSydneDwendyv34dpm50Jaimie
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

10km+ done in Singapore, the length of East Coast Park:

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 9.40.40 AM

ssthomasrlmJustSwimdpm50jendutthelittlemerwookiekejoyceSydneDJaimiemolly1205
  • kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member

Is Jaimie finishing this with a bang by swimming 20 bridges right now? Tracker has her in the Harlem river...

Jaimie

Wow! Thanks for your interest @kejoyce and thank you @SwimSydney for a lovely chat and breakfast in your beautiful Coogee Beach. Yes, we finished the project today with a Manhattan Circumnavigation Swim, observed by @j9swim Kayaker, the Oru Kayak, and swimmer all held up well. Around the world in 15 days. Back to office tomorrow.

evmothelittlemerwookieIronMikeKatieBunrosemarymintSara_WolfcurlySydneDViveBenemolly1205BridgetStLucia_Channel

And thank you @evmo for all your patience with our constantly changing courses, shifting dates, questions, etc. I truly appreciate it.

evmoIronMikeJSwimKatieBunrosemarymintJustSwimViveBeneBridgetStLucia_Channel
  • @Jaimie -- How do you even know what day it is, let alone what time????
    Awesome job making it back to the office so soon after the last swim. I think I'd still be eating my way through Mexican food!
    Well done!

Jaimiemolly1205

hehe thanks @Sara_Wolf no Mexican food this trip but I did fall asleep eating pizza on my first night home. Now craving guacamole though - excellent suggestion!

IronMikeJustSwim
  • Guacamole solves all manner of ills!

Jaimie said:
    hehe thanks @Sara_Wolf no Mexican food this trip but I did fall asleep eating pizza on my first night home. Now craving guacamole though - excellent suggestion!

molly1205
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

@Jaimie Maybe this is silly, but if you have time I'd really, really love to read a write-up of the adventure. :-)

Kate_AlexanderkejoycerlmIronMikecurlyBridget
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Sara_Wolf said:
    Guacamole solves all manner of ills!

Yes, avocados make everything better! Congratulations on another epic swimming adventure @Jaimie! It's so fun to follow your trackers all over the globe!

StLucia_ChannelJaimie

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• I concur....especially the logistics of it all......flying, fueling, etc.

ssthomas said:
    @Jaimie Maybe this is silly, but if you have time I'd really, really love to read a write-up of the adventure. :-)

ssthomas

Hey, check it out! My wife is an avid Oru Kayaker and on their mailing list. She just sent me the link about Jamie's swim using the Oru Kayak. It's a nice article and has some good pics as well. Yay Jamie and Arik!

Link to article

thelittlemerwookieswimrn62JustSwimArikJaimie