Has anyone done a marathon swim in San Diego?

Hi everyone!

Has anyone here ever done a marathon swim in San Diego? And if so what sort? I have plans for my first marathon swim next year, but am looking ahead for 2020. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep Swimming!
Naji

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2018

Hi Naji

There was a race around Coronado Island in the 1990s. It is about 11.5 miles with some tide assistance. Historical results at https://longswims.com/events/coronado-around-the-island-swim

Scott Zornig swam around Coronado solo in 2016 - documentation at http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/zornig-coronado/

The swim between the mainland and Islas Coronados (Mexico) has been done a few times. It's about 15 miles from San Diego and 8 miles from Mexico. You will need a passport & probably permits from the Mexican coast guard.

Any number of creative coastal routes available in this area too.

JaimieNajiswimsCathyInCA
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

If your looking for something pre-formatted the La Jolla Swim Club has the La Jolla Cove 10-Mile Relay & Solo Swim

JaimieNajiswims
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Tiffany McQueen also swam around Coronado in December 2016. I know she worked with Dan Simonelli on this swim.

NajiswimsCathyInCA
  • SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member

I am also looking for a swim (15-30k) in the San Diego area around the dates of Dec 13, 14, or 15, 2018. Would be happy to work with the locals and attempt something unusual or scenic.

Najiswims
  • Thank you all for your suggestions I will look into Coronado, Mexico to San Diego, and possibly circumnavigate Coronado.**

• CathyInCACathyInCA Martinez, CASenior Member
    edited September 2018

JustSwim said:
    Tiffany McQueen also swam around Coronado in December 2016. I know she worked with Dan Simonelli on this swim.

I was there for her swim. Beautiful on Dec 7th in honor of Pearl Harbor day. It was so patriotic!

TMcQueen
  • WalterWalter Southern CaliforniaMember

Seeing this a bit late, but still well before December. Southbound swims from Cardiff (or other points) along the North County Coast can be nice. They offer coastal views throughout, can be sufficiently supported by a kayaker, and offer the option of terminating earlier than planned, if necessary. I recommend that you consider Cardiff to La Jolla Cove for an adventure or continue around to Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach if you'd like a challenge. Heck, let me know when you're going, I might join you!

FlowSwimmersNajiswims

I'm not very popular around here; but I've heard that I'm huge in Edinburgh!

• Walter said:
    Seeing this a bit late, but still well before December. Southbound swims from Cardiff (or other points) along the North County Coast can be nice. They offer coastal views throughout, can be sufficiently supported by a kayaker, and offer the option of terminating earlier than planned, if necessary. I recommend that you consider Cardiff to La Jolla Cove for an adventure or continue around to Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach if you'd like a challenge. Heck, let me know when you're going, I might join you!

Walter what is the distance from Cardiff to La Jolla Cove? It sounds interesting.

It is about 12 miles if you start at the Cardiff Beach parking lot just North of the Chart House restaurant (it is South of the inlet that is South of San Elijo State Beach) and skirt the coast to Scripps pier, then swim directly to the Cove from the pier. I suppose it would be 11 and change if you went direct - but that would put you really far off shore for much of the swim, which seems gratuitously risky, especially if you intend to use a kayak.

edited September 2020

I heard second hand that there is going to be a group doing the Cardiff to La Jolla Cove swim this month (Sep 2020). If anyone here is part of that group, please let me know - I would like to join. I have my own support. Thanks!