Batches' 50+ Mile Lake Powell Butterfly Swim 2018

batchesbatches Littleton, COMember
edited September 2018 in General Discussion

The week of September 23-29, I am planning an epic 50+ mile butterfly swim in Lake Powell. This will be more than double my longest lake swim to date, and I expect it to take somewhere around 40 hours. A bunch of possible routes have been identified, though nothing has been determined quite yet. I'll be spending August looking at the water levels to decide a route and work out the details.

At the moment, I'm in need for some volunteer crew members. I am in particular dire need of at least two experienced observers to help make this an MSF documented swim. I may also need general help for feed management and kayak support, pending on what I hear back from my initial feelers. If anyone is interested in helping me out, please let me know.

Tagged:
SoloFlowSwimmerssosophiaphiajendutJustSwimpavlicovssthomasLynnkubKarl_KingeryPasqualeevmorlmdpm50flystormsStephen

Comments

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I wish! I'll be back teaching then, but bumping this with the hope you get responses!

• BridgetBridget New York StateMember

I'm far away, but will be following your progress! You picked an auspicious lake- maybe there is some residual wake to follow! :)

• AzskiAzski ArizonaMember

I'll be returning from a Channel Islands adventure of my own on Sept. 18-19. I live in Prescott, Arizona, about a 3 hour drive from Lake Powell. I am very familiar with the Lake and I own 2, 16 ft. Zodiac inflatable boats w/ 40hp outboard motors. I can't take anymore time off work because of my swimming the week prior to your dates but could be available to help you on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Or, I could help with local contacts and info.

evmorlmdpm50LynnkubthelittlemerwookieJaimieswimrn62ssthomasFlowSwimmersMoCo
  • batchesbatches Littleton, COMember

@Azski thanks for responding. At the moment I'm just looking for bodies to help out on the houseboat I'm renting. The swim itself is going to be sometime during the week to avoid the increased activity over the weekends. I'm aiming for starting on Monday, September 24 or Tuesday, September 25, so unfortunately not over the weekends when you could help out.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Nearing halfway! https://track.rs/batches

IronMikethelittlemerwookieJSwimCopelj26
  • Go Batches Go!!

JSwimCopelj26
  • AzskiAzski ArizonaMember
    edited September 2018

batches said:
    @Azski thanks for responding. At the moment I'm just looking for bodies to help out on the houseboat I'm renting. The swim itself is going to be sometime during the week to avoid the increased activity over the weekends. I'm aiming for starting on Monday, September 24 or Tuesday, September 25, so unfortunately not over the weekends when you could help out.

Awesome John, and team. Great to see Marathon swims in Arizona!

wendyv34
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2018

According to crew reports, John exited the water late last night after swimming approx. 37-38 miles in 28 hours. Joining a veeeerrrrry short list of people who have swum more than a full day of nonstop 'fly.

flystormsthelittlemerwookieJustSwimSara_WolfslknightabbygirlrosejendutStephenJSwimdpm50wendyv34lakesprayCopelj26curlyViveBeneRob
  • I can swim (legally) 50 meters fly....maybe 70 on a good day. ANY distance measured in miles? No way. I can't even imagine. What an accomplishment!

flystormsBridgetwendyv34lakesprayIronMikedpm50
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I would love to see some video of that. Butterfly is the most beautiful stroke and I love doing it for short distances in the pool. When everything is clicking, it is the most wonderful feeling of flying over and through the water. I would love to see the technique and pacing that is used to cover these incredible distances. Personally, I can't imagine what it takes to bring your fly up to this level.

ViveBeneSolodpm50
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

@curly if your on Facebook go to Batches page, several video's have been posted there https://www.facebook.com/John-Batches-Batchelder-Open-Water-Marathon-Swimmer-476157009556506/

dpm50
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

@lakespray Thanks for that link. I'm not a face booker, but I was still able to see the vids. Gosh. I'm sitting on my couch kind of breathing hard and feeling like I just did a workout. Weird feeling. I am completely overwhelmed just watching that.

On a strange note as I was thinking about how I felt. I'm reminded that my dad used to love to watch golf on tv. I can't think of anything more boring. But I realized long ago that the reason he loved to watch it was that he loved to play golf. He was a student of the game. So when he was watching some pro do a beautiful drive and land the ball exactly where he wanted it, my dad absolutely understood the skill and the feeling of what it took to do that. I think that is the same feeling I just felt watching that butterfly.

flystorms
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

John has updated his blog with his Lake Powell experience https://openwaterbutterfly.wordpress.com/

wendyv34
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Beyond impressed also! Mine deteriorates into caterpillar after ~50 yds. :) But I finally reached a goal of swimming fly for 100 meters during a swim practice. It wasn't pretty, but I eked it out. Swimming, what, 37 miles fly?! :o

Sara_Wolf said:
    I can swim (legally) 50 meters fly....maybe 70 on a good day. ANY distance measured in miles? No way. I can't even imagine. What an accomplishment!

SoloBridgetflystorms