Swim the Suck 2018-2019

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
edited October 2019 in Swim Reports

How in the world did we not already start a discussion for Swim the Suck 2018? I searched but found nothing specific, except the excellent thread from @DavidZak. (Saw your name on the buoy list David, so how'd the swim go?)

Therefore, here's a thread so we can all discuss how StS 2018 went. I'll start...

I got lucky about a month prior to the race to get a slot that had come available. By that point I had thought my season was over and I was ramping down the swimming (more details on this to come on my blog in the next few days). I was crazy excited to get the slot and immediately set about to swim more and find a kayaker.

Luck came my way again when my uncle, who had kayaked for me in 2012, became available, and this time with my aunt. Logistics pretty much figured.

The weeks prior I was not a very good boy, as far as swimming went. Or anything physical beyond walking a lot. I've never been one for tapering (except once) as I've never been the one to swim dozens of miles or hours a week; more like ramp up to the actual big swim and then taper after the event. It's actually embarrassing how little I swam prior to last Saturday.

One thing this swim is is forgiving to those who might not have put in all the work. That's not to say you should come here on little to no prep. Certainly not. You're still swimming for a long time and whether the dam releases a lot or a little flow, you still have a long way to swim (longer now than in year's past! but that extra third of a mile is worth it).

I was not properly prepared, except mentally. Despite that, this was the best I'd felt ever in a swim that I had no business participating in. And with recent elbow and shoulder issues, I was simply amazed I felt so good till about the last hour.

Everyone here knows @KarahNazor and if you don't, you should. She ran a perfect event yet again. I like the new finish area, despite that resulting in earlier logistics; well worth it to be able to get out of the water and immediately to the keg of beer.

And of course, the best part of a swim like this are the swim-family reunions. So great to see familiar faces and put faces to online friends I've known for years. I'll be on this particular swim-high for quite a while.

I'm putting my thoughts together now and analyzing my swim track so later please check out my blog. I'll also have lots of pictures!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Tagged:
FrancoevmoJustSwimCopelj26rlmMaryStella

Comments

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Oh man! I wish there had been a thread about it this year to see who was going. I'd have love to have met you in person, Mike. Yes, it was a good event and the finish spot is well worth it. I paddled for a lady last year when they did the switch. This year, it was even better logistically.

What a fun race. I enjoyed it as well. Lots of lessons learned, but woudnt change much.

IronMike
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I just noticed that @evmo has updated the long swims db with this year's StS 2018 results. Thanks Evan!

flystorms

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2019

Live tracking of Swim the Suck 2019 tomorrow at https://track.rs/swimthesuck

Good luck swimmers!

timsrootCathyInCArlm
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Still the best race of the year! Thanks @KarahNazor for another wonderful swim!

abbygirlrosetimsrootruthSpacemanspiffflystormsCathyInCA

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Best t-shirt ever

evmoIronMikeflystormsCathyInCA

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

@Spacemanspiff - the poster is hanging on wall at work. I love it.

CathyInCA