Swim Videos

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
Videos about marathon swimming. Post 'em here!

(To embed a YouTube or Vimeo video, simply cut and paste the link - the embedding will happen automatically.)

We'll start with a personal favorite of mine: Stephen Lewis' stunning documentary of his brother Marc's pioneering 28-mile swim from Santa Rosa Island to Goleta, California (incidentally, my hometown). With cameos from a few well known Californian marathon swimmers.

Here is The Crossing:

Tagged:

Comments

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    edited March 2017
    Here's mine:

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

Spoiler Alert.......................I did finish.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the vid again. I hope you didn't edit out the part where that guy asks you something in french... and you answer him in gatorade.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2017
    Things I liked about swimmer25k's video:

- The music selection.
    - "I still want to race against kids who are half my age, and beat them…beat them hard.”
    - Peeing off the cliff in Dover.
    - Running into the water at the start.
    - Ridiculously efficient feeding technique.
    - "Racing" Masters swimmers at Chris Greene Lake :)
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Love the music and the incredible feeds. I believe I will practice that style. Can anyone figure out (or hell, @swimmer25k can just tell me): is the string tied around the cup, or poked through a hole in the top of the cup?
    Definitely looking forward to part II.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

The string was poked through a hole in the side of the cup and tied off. The entire feed stick cost about $3 in PVC from a Home Depot. I had to cut it in half and have threaded fittings glued on because it wouldn't fit in my suitcase.

Always keep moving towards the finish line. I see lots of people wasting precious time talking to their crews and taking in food/drink. I fed every 15 minutes with moderate amounts. When I got a drowsy from fumes, I ate M&Ms and kept moving on my back.

As Dave mentioned, I barfed up the last of the M&Ms and some of my Fierce Berry Gatorade on the beach in France. I was probably the only person to ever end up on the beach instead of the rocks, so I didn't even get a stone to bring back. An Australian relay swimmer gave me one of his.

Part 2 should be up soon. Fellow Channel swimmer Lynne Driscoll (Smith) is working on it for me.
    Things I liked about swimmer25k's video:

- The music selection.
    - "I still want to race against kids who are half my age, and beat them…beat them hard.”
    - Peeing off the cliff in Dover.
    - Running into the water at the start.
    - Ridiculously efficient feeding technique.
    - "Racing" Masters swimmers at Chris Greene Lake :)

Can't wait for Part 2.
    My mom is pretty mortified that the peeing scene made the final cut. But, when you have to go, you stain the cliffs with red Gatorade.
    Um, I'm no doctor, but if your pee is red, might want to get that checked. ;)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2013
    Here's my Catalina video. No fun soundtrack, cliff peeing, or interviews like @swimmer25k's video, but it does include cameos by @AquaRob, @markwarkentin, @Anne, @firebah, and some masterful cinematography by @ChickenOSea!

klassman
    Wow @evmo, 8 minutes to swim 20 miles. That's got to be a record. ;)

• FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member

Kingdom Swim 2010
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Here is my 2010 Catalina swim.

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited April 2012

The South End has a tradition of swimming on the statistically coldest day of the year...this was a couple of years ago from Pt Bonita.

Sharko
    CathyInCA

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Here's an Emmy-winning local news segment on Scott Zornig's Anacapa Island crossing in 2001:

A couple observations:
    - The Channel 4 correspondent looks remarkably like Bob Saget.
    - I really dig their use of Titanic soundtrack music as Scott approaches the finish (see 3:35-45). His heart will go on...
    LynnkubCherieedborg
  • SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    light relief with Channel Swimming Confessions

when you put it like that .....
    CKswims

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Just wanted to remind folks that this thread exists! This is from my recent crossing of the Auau Channel between Maui and Lanai:

• gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Salvatore Cimmino completed his 25K Boston Harbor swim in 7:25!

• GordsGords Syracuse, UTCharter Member
    Here's highlights of my English Channel crossing this summer.

• TheoTheo Oxnard, CAMember
    I just couldn't wait for Lynn to post her video of Fiona Goh's swim here so I am jumping the gun and providing the link. Fiona Goh completed the Anacapa Island to Oxnard Channel swim on Sunday September 23, 2012. At 13 years of age she is the youngest female to ever swim one of the California Channel Islands. She was unable to complete the swim on her first attempt approximately 6 weeks ago due to poor conditions but came back and met her goal this past weekend. I hope you enjoy Lynn's video chronicle of her amazing swim.

Lynnkub
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Here's my quick video of Trent Grimsey's World Record English Channel swim. For those who've seen my writeup on my blog, you'll know I took far more photos than video. This was just clipped together from some of the short videos.

loneswimmer.com

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    Arizona S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge: coming May 1 - 4, 2013.
  • courtneypaulkcourtneypaulk Richmond, VirginiaMember
  • SteveSteve Member
    edited October 2012
    Here's the link to my recent October English Channel swim. Hope you enjoy

• LOSTswimmerLOSTswimmer Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMember
    edited October 2012
    My English Channel swim, 2006

Cheers,
    Rob

• LOSTswimmerLOSTswimmer Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMember
    edited October 2012
    My Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, 2010

Cheers,
    Rob

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Not really a swim vid, but just a bit on the Dover night life.

This is the Chinese Buffet near the pedestrian tunnel to the harbor. With @ssthomas.

Good times, thanks Chuck ;-)
  • JbetleyJbetley UKMember
    edited October 2012
    @lakespray Hilarious! Makes you proud to be British!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2012
    From an Anacapa Island swim I observed this morning for the SBCSA.

Watch as dolphins cruise very close to the swimmer - twice in half an hour! Select the HD video option if possible.

Leslie
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Since this is a "Swim Videos" thread, it is preferable to embed the trailer directly:

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Not quite sure how to embed this particular one. It is a short news video about the END-WET race done by the University of North Dakota. Forum member Mandai, aka Tobias is interviewed. Click on the "Serious Swimming" link.

http://www2.und.edu/dept/studio1/videopages/09-27-12/stories09-27-12.html

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

edited November 2012
    Great video about a fun-sounding swim. Thanks LBJ.

My friend Alan Clack's (USA & Canada) English Channel Solo.

loneswimmer.com

• oxooxo Guest
    edited November 2012
    490 This first is a favorite EC video (i do not know the swimmer).

others of his swim:

and

• HaydnHaydn Member
    edited January 2013
    Haydn Welch Jan 2013 training for an Ice Mile: on behalf of www.coppafeel.org Knowing your B(.)(.)Bs may save your life. See also www.haydnwelch.co.uk

• nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    Haydn, It looks like you melted some ice in your courageous swim-hard to imagine! I I am also interested in your use of a tether to swim in a small area. I remember seeing a video of an airline pilot who did most of his training for the Channel in hotel pools, using a tether. Could you be one in the same?
  • I smashed the ice and pulled the broken bits out. It didn't work too well as more ice kept breaking away. The tether is an elastic rope tied to my waste with a rubber divers weight belt. This takes up the tugging that a normal rope causes. The swimming is a little heavier pulling through the water but you get used to it within a couple of sessions. I am not an airline pilot although I would agree that you can train for hours this way. You save substantial travelling time which I now spend swimming and when the session is done, I am already at home. It makes you add time to your swim, knowing you don't even have twenty minutes to get home from the public pool or an hour from the nearest beach. It can get tedious though, but that is just part of the training process anyway.
  • Here is a fun video from a swim I did with 3 amazing people last spring - Strait of Gibraltar
    Jamie, I really enjoyed your video. Most of all, I think that it is so great to share the experience with friends - how cool that the 4 of you made the journey together - What is the distance? What time of year was your swim? What was your grease - Desitin? Thanks for sharing!
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    edited February 2013
    Another Winter swimming clip. German Bruno Dobelmann in 1.7C (~35F) cold water for
    about 37min.
    @Mandai, that's a fab video!

loneswimmer.com

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

Nice 5+ minutes kayak-eye view of the start of 2012 8 Bridges Stage 6
    swimrn62

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    edited February 2013
    Love the soundtrack DB! Very Fitting but feel I should be sipping a mint julep and eating foie gras!
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited February 2013
    http://www.cargoculte.fr/fr/nos-realisations/50/les-fous-de-la-baie

A French film crew were at the South End and Dolphin Club a couple of years ago and got some good footage...and sounds like a good story....

Sharko

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2013

vimeo.com/60538341
  • A fun part of Ice Mile training:
  • Full report of my Ice Mile swim at www.haydnwelch.co.uk. The above clip was just training but no room to swim in the ice covered Lake Bled, Slovenia. Having dived in I remembered I hadn't tied on my float or my mascot Deepest Bear, so went back for them. I then cut my face on the ice as I was swimming through it, so got out.
    edited March 2013
    From @bethfrench: merged from another new thread.

I managed to slide in to an extended stay in Hawaii a swim across the Kaiwi- and got it filmed. I hope it serves to promote open water swimming.

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2013

vimeo.com/61392328
  • swimmergirl23swimmergirl23 Member
    edited March 2013
    My dad just put together a short video of "highlights" of my MIMS swim last summer! I'll try to get some more of the video up when I go home this summer - pretty sure he has about 6 hours of riveting footage total:

Great video Abby! What a adventure for you and everyone on your team! You are a beautiful swimmer, a treat to see you power along leading the pack!