Need an ocean swim buddy

molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
edited January 2013 in Locations & Networking
Hi, all- I'm very new to marathon swimming and have only swum a 10K distance in a pool. The beaches and ocean swimming in Nebraska are not the best. I'd like to get in a couple of days of ocean swimming to test the waters, so to speak. Is there anyone in south Florida or coastal California who would be willing to show me the ropes for a weekend?

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

Comments

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    I notice Ann Cleveland from the La Jolla area is putting on a clinic and she might want to just show you the warm Southern California waters (too warm for Sharko) at probably 54f...

http://annecleveland.com/open-water-swim-coaching/open-water-clinics/

or you could try the South End Rowing Club in San Francisco and we can introduce you to real coastal swimming...water at about 49f and starting to rise....just let me know your preference....http://www.south-end.org/

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 2013
    Hi Molly -- I lived in the Midwest for several years and actually found quite a lot of good options for OWS (especially if near the Great Lakes, which I know you're not exactly...).

Perhaps it would be helpful to know what you're seeking out of your ocean swimming experience? Are you training for anything in particular? Looking for rough-water experience? Just want to visit Florida or Cali?
  • WalterWalter Southern CaliforniaMember
    @molly1205: If you decide on San Diego, you will have no trouble lining up a weekend's worth of swim buddies, any weekend of the year. You can post on La Jolla Cove Swim Club's fb page or just give me a shout before you arrive and I'll be happy to help (including by joining you for a swim or two, of course).

I'm not very popular around here; but I've heard that I'm huge in Edinburgh!

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    Thank you all for the excellent advice! I have the kernal of a dream to swim the English Channel, so swimming in cold, choppy salt water for several hours is the kind of practice I'm looking for. I will follow-up on your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Molly, here are some of your "best bets" for finding group ocean swims in California:
    If anyone has any other good bets for California, let me know and I'll add them to the list I've been compiling on the SBCSA website.
  • firebahfirebah Charter Member
    edited January 2013
    La Jolla Cove is a mecca for open water swimming. Every ability level can be found in those waters. Come on down, it is free to swim with us. Currently our water temp is hovering around 55F which is fantastic training for the English Channel but a bit much if you have not been in anything but warm to hot pool water. We also have the La Jolla Athletic Club which has a guest price of only $5. A nice hot jacuzzi and a shower are a nice bonus after a swim in the ocean!
  • oxooxo Guest
    edited January 2013
    @evmo - http://www.triclubsandiego.org

Calendar on page 5 in the Jan 2013 edition of their public newsletter shows 10 weekly swims (out of 22 weekly workouts), 6 of which are ow.
    This is all so helpful! I sent an email to Anne Cleveland for her spring ocean swimming camp at Manhattan Beach. As a newbie, I'll appreciate her coaching and having others to learn from. But, I'll definitely take you up on a visit to the La Jolla Cove group another time. I'd like to get in at least 3 ocean swims this year. Thank goodness for travel points on my credit card.

• Hi Molly ... this may not be what you're interested in, but I have a relay that I'm putting together for the Tampa Bay 24 Mile Marathon Swim (Saturday, April 20th). We have one position still open if you might be interested. Our swim levels on the relay vary and we are in it more for the experience and camaraderie. Contact me here or at pattydh@aol.com if you're interested.
    Hey, Patty- Thank you very much for the offer, but I just registered for Anne Cleveland's open water swimming clinic. I hope you fill your open relay spot. I'd definitely be interested - and more experienced - next year!