Driven: the Marathon Swimming Documentary

http://www.indiegogo.com/driventhemovie?c=home

Driven, documents the experiences of three individuals as they attempted marathon swims across the Santa Barbara Channel in 2012.

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    starring @evmo

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2012
    31 donors and over $3000 USD raised so far. The filmmakers need $20,000 to make this movie a reality.

Marathon swimmers often wonder how our sport can reach a wider audience - how our friends can better understand what it is that we do. Marathon swimmers often despair about how to do this without selling out to the wetsuit companies or engaging in circus-like P.R. tactics. In other words - how to promote our sport with integrity.

This film is one answer.

Will you help?

http://www.indiegogo.com/driventhemovie

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    bump.

I donated, and upped my post on this subj in my blog. They still need donations!!! Come on guys, donate whatever you can afford! Donate in your favorite swimmer's name as a Christmas gift!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Someone mentioned the word "driven" in another thread and I thought, Hey, how's the movie coming?

Anyone in here know? I cannot wait to see it!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for asking, Mike. They are back to work on post-production after a holiday hiatus. I ran into Brian (cinematographer) at the SBCSA board meeting this past weekend; he was getting some extra footage of Cherie. I'm doing my post swim interview next week.
    Awesome. Thanks Evan.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2013
    An update from Ben (via Indiegogo):

Greetings fans and supporters!

I just wanted to provide an update on the film. After a somewhat extended holiday hiatus, we are up and running again and making progress on the project. In January we did some follow-up filming with Cherie, and we’ll be doing the same next week with Evan. The big news is that after a fair amount of anticipation (and procrastination) we’ve taken the plunge into the monumental and ominous process that is editing. With countless hours of footage and an eight page outline we developed at the outset, we’re now putting together the puzzle pieces that will assemble into the film Driven. Instead, in this case it’s kind of like the puzzle pieces are buried in hours and hours of footage that we must sift through, like needles in a digital haystack… and instead of building a puzzle, its more like sculpting or molding clay into a shape we find appealing… with puzzle pieces poking out of it. And, we can’t actually access the haystack, to search for the pieces, until my three year old son goes to bed. It’s pretty much exactly like that, or something.

Once this initial editing process is complete, we’ll be able to make a list of gaps we need to fill. Once we have that list, we’ll be able to completely panic, remind ourselves how far we’ve come already, regain our composure, and carry on with incrementally greater confidence and determination. By then we’ll be knee deep in developing music… but #@&;!, lets not worry about music just yet. One step at a time.

In any case, please rest assured that we are moving forward, and I will try to be much better about posting updates as we continue to make progress. Hopefully next time I’ll have some new screenshots for you or something more fun.

Hope everyone is well, and stay tuned!
    -ben
  • mauprietomauprieto New Orleans, LAMember
    evmo wrote:
    Thanks for asking, Mike. They are back to work on post-production after a holiday hiatus. I ran into Brian (cinematographer) at the SBCSA board meeting this past weekend; he was getting some extra footage of Cherie. I'm doing my post swim interview next week.

Hi Evan. This is a great project, congrats. The fact that they are in post-production means that the fund raising phase is finished or is it still ongoing? I'd like to donate if it's still relevant.
  • Hey all,
    I saw this thread and wanted to let people know that contributions can still be made to post-production expenses at www.marathonswimmovie.com. There is a PayPal button that accepts credit cards at the bottom of the page.

We raised a good bit of money through our Indiegogo campaign, but there is no doubt that we'll need to continue fundraising as we fell short of our budget goal. In the meantime, we're moving forward with the project as best we can. Our bigger expenses shouldn't come into play until later down the line.

In any case, thanks for the continued interest and support! I can't tell you how encouraging its been getting support from so many people.
    -ben
  • mauprietomauprieto New Orleans, LAMember
    Thanks Ben. I just chipped in to the cause. It would be good if you can extend the expiration date of the http://www.indiegogo.com/driventhemovie?c=home campaign. I spent some time there unsuccessfully looking for the donations link. I then saw that there is no donations link because the campaign had expired. I then saw in your message that I could donate in www.marathonswimmovie.com. Some people might be ending up in Indiegogo and not realizing that the contribution effort is still active in another page. Looking forward to seeing the movie. All the best.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Had a great interview filming session last night with the guys at @e8productions. They brought along a DVD with 21 minutes of footage from my swim. What a treat! It looked almost as gnarly as I remember it.

This project is very much alive.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    Bumping this for an important update. The movie is done. They did it!

World premiere scheduled for next month in Carpinteria, California.

How cool would it be to set up a double-feature, alongside The Other Shore ?? haha
    Can't wait to get my copy. I'll stage a movie premiere here in the DC area.

• vvisevvise Member
    edited September 2013
    evmo wrote:
    World premiere scheduled for next month in Carpinteria, California.
    Nice! Do you know the date?
  • ScottZornigScottZornig Charter Member
    There are two dates for when you can see the Movie Driven. The World Premier is tenatively scheduled to be on October 19th at a movie theater in Carpenteria. The SBCSA will also have a private showing of the film on November 2nd at 5:30pm at our annual awards banquet in San Pedro. The film is 1 hour and 15 minutes long. The timing of the film could not be any better due to all the confusion DN's swim has caused.

On another note, I understand the producers are still about $2,000 short of their $30K goal. If anyone has an extra $25, $50 or $100 they would like to donate, I know the producers would be very grateful. Their website is http://www.marathonswimmovie.com

Thank you.
    Scott Zornig
    SBCSA
  • Thanks, Scott. I have friends and family in Carp and SB, we're going to do our best to make the October 19th date!
    And thanks for the info regarding donations, I'll visit and pass the word!
  • I live in Morro Bay and would love to come down. Where in Carpenteria is it showing and is it open to the public?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Hi Jon, As soon as I get confirmation of the date, I'll post it here. It will be open to the public, at least to some extent.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    From the writer/director:

Big News!

We are pleased to announce that we have an official release date!!

Driven will premier on October 19th at the Plaza Playhouse Theater in Carpinteria, CA. The event will be a not-for-profit fundraiser to benefit a local swimming related program (details still to be determined).

We are thrilled to be completing this project and to be at a point where we can share this film with the world! We've poured our heart and souls into this film and have strived to make it something that the open water swimming community can be proud of. I daresay, I think we succeeded. This film actually isn't half bad.

What does this premier date mean exactly?
    We'll it means we are inviting EVERYONE who cares to travel to Carpinteria, CA to join us for a fantastic evening to watch the film and celebrate it's release.
    It also means that (fingers-crossed) we PLAN to have our website updated, upgraded, and running by then for people to purchase DVDs or digital downloads of the film.

If you are a fundraising campaign contributor and we owe you a digital download or DVD copy of the film we will work to get these to you as soon as possible, following the premier. We are hoping to provide a coupon code that people can use to redeem their digital download online immediately. DVDs will likely take 1 - 2 weeks to package and ship.

More details regarding the release will be coming soon. Tickets will be available for pre-purchase and we HIGHLY recommend anyone interested in attending to do so. We will provide you with a way to pre-purchase online AS SOON as its available.

Thank you, Thank you to everyone for your patience and support!
  • ScottZornigScottZornig Charter Member
    edited October 2013
    The 2013 SBCSA awards banquet and private screening of the marathon swim movie “Driven” is Saturday, November 2nd

As in past years, the SBCSA is holding our annual awards and recognition banquet on the same day as the CCSF which allows marathon swimmers to attend both banquets. The CCSF banquet will be in the morning while the SBCSA will have an evening dinner. There will be a fun, social swim between the two banquets.

CCSF banquet - 10am to 2pm
    Open Water Social Swim (Cabrillo Beach) – 3pm to 4pm
    SBCSA banquet 5:30pm – 8pm (includes private screening of the marathon swim movie called “Driven”)

The SBCSA is pleased to provide a private screening of the marathon swim movie called “Driven.” If you are a marathon, open water or pool swimmer, you will want to see this independent documentary film by Element 8 Productions. The movie chronicles the experiences of three individuals, each with their own goals and motivations, as they test their mental and physical limits by attempting to swim across the Santa Barbara Channel.

The SBCSA banquet and movie screening will be held at Raffaello Ristorante in San Pedro, California. The cost for both is only $25.00 per person (no host bar) or $18.75 for SBCSA lifetime members. If you plan to attend, please includes the names of the guests in your party and send a check made payable to the SBCSA by October 31st to:

Please mail checks to:
    SBCSA % Scott Zornig
    1 Rockrose Court
    Coto de Caza, CA 92679

Restaurant address:
    Raffaello Ristorante
    400 S. Pacific Avenue
    San Pedro, CA 90731
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Tickets to the world premiere in Carpinteria are now on sale.

http://www.plazatheatercarpinteria.com/#/calendar/1019-driven

As Scott said, there will be another showing at the SBCSA banquet in November.

Can't wait to get my DVD. Gonna host a party!

• I'll be driving down to Carpinteria from Morro Bay for the showing on the 19th. Anyone in the area who wants to carpool is welcome.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2013
    I want to publicly recognize the following Forum members & other fellow marathon swimmers who contributed financially to the making of DRIVEN. This was an independent project and it wouldn't have made it to the screen without your support.

Dan Boyle
    Patrick Brundage
    Kimberley Chambers
    Bart Cobb
    David Conners
    Cathy Delneo
    Suzie Dods
    Cherie Edborg
    Gary Emich
    Marta Gaughen
    Joshua Green
    Gordon Gridley
    Niek Kloots
    Lynn Kubasek
    Michael Leake
    Tony Lillios
    Paul Lundgren
    Tanya MacLean
    Glenn Mills
    Jim Neitz
    Kent Nicholas
    Jamie Patrick
    Courtney Paulk
    Julian Rusinek
    Paul Saab
    Charlotte Samuels
    Sir Sharko
    Brandon Sullivan
    David Yudovin
    Scott Zornig
    Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association

NOTE: I got these names from the Indiegogo page. If I somehow missed your name or failed to recognize you, I apologize - please let me know so I can add it here. Thanks also to the many anonymous contributors.
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    What can I do to bring Driven to the SERC clubhouse? There are lot of people there who would love it.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    This Saturday! Will I see you there?

3JO0KoG.png
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited October 2013
    Evan,

Sorry I won't make this first curtain call for "Driven" in my hometown of Carpinteria...many fond memories in Carp where I graduated from the original High School on Carpinteria Avenue (now the jr high) in 1967...and can you believe it El Sharko was a reefer smoking student body president!!! and local beach lifeguard at Carp State beach...please express my love for Carp and friends in the audience as there are probably going to be a few or my former classmates at the showing. Looking forward to seeing "it" soon...congratualtions on being driven and getting to the other side!!!

Sharko

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Thank you, Sharko! :) We'll make something happen at SERC one of these days soon.

I appreciate your comment about "getting to the other side." I didn't truly understand what this meant until the swim documented in this film. Nothing else mattered!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2013
    So cool :)

Po16X9s.jpg?1
    Looking forward to the review!

• IronMike wrote:
    Looking forward to the review!

It was excellent. :) The premier sold out, the movie was inspirational, portrayed marathon swimming in an accurate and positive light, and contained no puking or swearing (so I guess it wasn't completely accurate). A good time was had by all.
    Really looking forward to getting my download code and DVD!

• The theater was packed! Film makers, crew, swimmers, friends, families, and the local community at large, including the high school swim team and, most likely, a few future Channel swimmers.

Beautifully filmed, the movie does an excellent job of documenting the physical, mental, and emotional challenges of marathon swimming. Ben's narrative, interviews with the swimmers, and footage of their swims create an experience both intense and inspirational ~ there was more than one instance of spontaneous applause, cheering, and shout-outs from the audience!

Additional commentary by Scott Zornig, Ned Denison, and David Yudovin, serve to complete the picture of what a Channel swimmer encounters on their journey.

Last night I watched the DVD with a group of friends and family...mostly non-swimmers. They were as impressed with the movie as was the audience at the premiere.
    This is a documentary you and your friends (yes, even non-swimming friends) can look forward to seeing!
    @vvise, you got your DVD already? Where's mine? ;)

• IronMike wrote:
    @vvise, you got your DVD already? Where's mine? ;)
    Good news IronMike ~ looks like it's on the way! Just posted (3 PM PDT) on the Driven fb page:
    First batch of DVDs shipping today to fundraising contributors. My goal is to get all of them out by the end of the weekend. Thanks for your patience! And when you get a chance to watch the film, let us know what you think!!
    (I was able to get my DVD in Carpinteria when I drove down for the premiere ;) )
  • rxleakemrxleakem Southwestern Vermont, USAMember
    The Driven DVD just landed in Vermont! Can't wait to check it out, thinking of hosting a little party to watch it with my other aqueous friends!

<))><

@Niek, me too. :(

@rxleakem, Vermont? But that's farther than CA to VA, certainly! I hope mine is in the mailbox when I get home!

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited October 2013
    I watched Driven tonight and really enjoyed it!!!! Brought back memories of the intense feelings I had before (when the decision to do it was made) , during (all of the training) and especially after my channel swim & some of the other more challenging swims I have accomplished....this is a strange and beautiful sport...the swim/event is something channel/marathon swimmers can all ponder for a long time afterward and then use this experience, in a positive way, in all aspects of life...If we are crazy as a group...then it is a good crazy in my book...I feel fortunate to have been Driven and made it to the other side!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited October 2013
    My new favorite movie! Loved all of it. Cherie, starting and meeting a goal while a mom& working full time. Fiona, sooo young! ( gawd what a tough call for Scott)back . Evan, wow , that flop on the beach.... And alllll the mental stuff.
    And the sections w/ Ned, Scott, and my guardian swim angel David.
    These are my people. Sooo glad this got made.
    Spoilers!!!!

Got mine last night but can't watch it till this weekend.

• Sorry, written immediately after. I'll edit later I hope to alert:(. Think of it as a Siskel& Ebert commentary??
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    How does one order a copy of the DVD?

And, when are we doing a screening at SERC?
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    I ordered my copy a few days ago...
    Can't wait for it to arrive :-)
  • rxleakemrxleakem Southwestern Vermont, USAMember
    edited October 2013
    Glad you got it, @ironmike.
    I watched it today, a great look into our sport and the unique aspects of it. Wonderful storyline for the three main swimmers, with excellent additional material from the guests. Just awesome!

<))><

• Just finished watching my DVD and wanted to say thanks to the swimmers, their support crews, and those that put the movie together. Everyone did an exemplary job of representing our sport. I'm so proud to know Evan, proud to know many more in the open water community, and proud of our sport. The movie was very inspirational and I can't wait to share it - especially with my sons who are just taking to swimming. Congrats to all!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2013
    Thanks Sully :)

Speaking of support crews... did anyone notice the unsung hero of the entire movie? @AquaRob! The bearded gentleman was everywhere, even some of the secondary scenes. It could be a drinking game...

If there's one niggling criticism I have, it's the lack of emphasis on support crew. Rob was on 2/3 of the crossings... would have been interesting to hear his perspective. One of my other crew was the first American Olympic open water swimmer... would have been interesting to hear his perspective.

But I know there's always great stuff left on the cutting room floor, and that's how this game works. All considered I was pretty blown away with the finished product.
    DanSimonelli
  • AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    Thanks @evmo! I think it's kind of funny that I show up in the movie so frequently but who this random bearded man is never addressed. I think I cut myself most of the way out of the film though.... they didn't use any footage of me puking or swearing on your swim and all they had left was shots of my beard flowing in the wind occasionally :) Seriously though the guys could probably put together a decent little movie on just your swim!

Btw, I've been showing the movie to friends and family and they all dig it. I think it helps them understand what I'm up to all summer a little better
    DanSimonelli
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member
    Hi. If I order this DVD, and I very much want to see the film, can you confirm it will play in the UK?

Thanks
  • Hi all,
    Checked in here recently and very much appreciating the feedback on the film.
    A couple notes about DVDs and downloads:
    DVDs are currently formatted to NTSC Region 0 (worldwide/unformatted) and should play worldwide on NTSC compatible DVD players. We recommend, however, that you confirm that your DVD player is NTSC compatible before purchasing. My understanding is that most modern (European) DVD players come NTSC/PAL/SECAM compatible.

Also, apologies for not having digital downloading up and running yet. What can I say... excuses excuses. But I'll be working on it this week, and hope to have something up for everyone by next weekend.

Thanks everyone!
    ben