What's your next swim?

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Many marathon swimmers don't like to talk about their next swim outside a trusted group. But if you do feel like sharing, here's the place. You might get some insight, advice or just some good old Best of Lucks.

Though I haven't mentioned it on my site, my friends know MIMS is next for me at end of June. Being used to swimming in a pretty quiet location in Southern Ireland, the idea of swimming surrounded by a big city appeals strongly to me, at least before I do it...

Edit: Crewing at least one EC & Jersey to France also. I love crewing.

loneswimmer.com

Tagged:

Comments

• lcolettelcolette Charter Member
    The only thing I have signed up for so far this season is Boston Light. I'm still vacillating...
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    The only thing I have signed up for so far this season is Boston Light. I'm still vacillating...
    Has Boston Light closed out registration yet?
  • mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member
    I have a few lined up BLDSA swims. Neds camp (part of) then EC August hopefully.
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I'm signed up for Tampa Bay in April, and then I'm attempting THE Channel in July.
    Brianparramore
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    I'm floating down rivers this year. One leg (maybe more) of 8 Bridges in July and Swim the Suck in October. Hopefully will get to the Pacific at some stage...
  • lcolettelcolette Charter Member
    Evan,
    they sold out yesterday...
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2012
    @ssthomas- Ron has been secretive about the TBMS entries this year. It was sort of fun last year when we'd get updates every other week or so.

@chickenosea - And SuckTheSwim just sold out too apparently! Happy news for Karah.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I'll also be swimming the Suck in October. Not sure what else as I'll be returning to the states in mid-July.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    I'll be returning to the states in mid-July.
    And probably not a day too soon?
    Yeah, don't want to jinx it. The Russians do, after all, control my visa!

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    The Suck will be a lot of fun! Make sure you visit Rock City when you're there. Think Picnic At Hanging Rock meets Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Strange place :)
    And SuckTheSwim just sold out too apparently! Happy news for Karah.
    Just noticed your metathesis in the above. Funny!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2012
    I think I may have stolen the idea from @chickenosea, actually. She is the queen of linguistic humor.
  • NedNed Charter Member
    Jersey > France in September
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Hope everyone is doing great! 2012 will be another awesome year for the sport... Cannot wait to follow everyone... Supporting swims in Tampa, Gibraltar and Tahoe. Hope to attend Jamie's Swim camp as well!
    Gibraltar, MIMS, Tsugaru, Red River, Tahoe for me...

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    @evmo- Just saw your response. Ron emailed the list to us last week. It's looking like a good race!

@foreverswim- can't wait to see you in April! You have a fun year ahead of you!
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Ned. Again? I know you said you liked it...

ForeverSwim, what will that leave in the Ocean's 7 for you if everything goes well? North Channel & ...?

loneswimmer.com

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Working a Swim Vacation March 25 - 31 in the BVIs

Got a weekend of back to back 10 milers in May (I'm not sure that the organizer wants to go public yet)

Co-directing (with Rondi) a 2.5K and 5K event in Poughkeepsie... 200 swimmers max

Co-directing (with Rondi) 8 Bridges June 25 - July 2, but plan to swim Stage 5 (unfinished business)

Finger Lakes mid - July (looks like I'll only have time for 1 or 2)

Looking at a 21K swim in Sweden on Aug 4 (and another 20 something K lake)

Crewing for Ederle

Plymouth to P-town Late Aug (20 miles across the Cape Cod Bay)

A few ideas for September... still planning.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    @ssthomas - Yes, cannot wait to crew/swim/rock out Tampa Bay with you, and your team! Always look forward to returning to Florida for some fun in the sun!
    @loneswimmer - Gibraltar will be #4, and Tsugaru #5, so that leaves the Cook Strait, and the North Channel next year in March and August. Looking forward to coming to Ireland! I have heard nothing but positive feedback on how nice the countryside is, and how beautiful the town of Belfast is to visit!

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• jenschumacherjenschumacher Los Angeles, CAMember
    Early May - Gibraltar tandem with @ForeverSwim, Jamie, and Oliver.
    Late May - Jamie's swim camp.
    June - @Ned's swim camp...eek!
    July - English Channel.
  • unsure why some swimmers are shy about declaring swims, but as a novice my 2012 is:
    general river and sea swimming April
    Coniston lake May
    Dover harbour channel training June
    English channel attempt 10-18 July2012 with Neil Streeter/SUVA
  • SylleSylle SwedenMember
    Looking at a 21K swim in Sweden on Aug 4 (and another 20 something K lake)
    I'm very tempted by that one too ... especially since I'm now living in Sweden! Need to find a job first though ...

Otherwise Vansbrosimningen, a 3k swim with about 7000+ swimmers in July, which I'll do butterfly this year and hopefully some undetermined 15k+ at some stage during summer.
  • Very similar to Mark above, Ned's swim week (Ireland) June, plenty of O/W training and EC August 2012. Happy swimming all
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    Not much for me this year - maybe the BLDSA 8 mile Torbay swim, and possibly the Champion of Champions, just to keep things ticking over. This year is all about saving money, working on technique, and writing up the swimming project. But I'm cooking up plans for 2013...
  • GordsGords Syracuse, UTCharter Member
    May - Jamie's Swim Camp
    June - Pace swimming for Goody Tyler's Catalina Crossing
    July - Directing Great Salt Lake Open Water marathon, Fremont Lake crossing
    August - English Channel
  • nemonemo Member
    April - Swimtrek Long Distance Training Camp, Gozo.
    May - Dover Harbour Training.
    June - Ned's Learn to Swim Week + EC Solo.
  • courtneypaulkcourtneypaulk Richmond, VirginiaMember
    June - MIMS and Chesapeake Bay Swim
    August - EC
    Unfortunately, EC window falls during Ederle and Boston Light...
  • Now to May - cranking up, but water temp is at moment only 7C. An hour at a time at 8, then 2 and more from 10 up.
    June - Ned's torture camp
    July - 10K Brighton sea
    August - coastal and rivers diverse
  • Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member
    Will be attempting my first marathon swim - 54k stage swim (27k x 2 consecutive days) for my 54th birthday in April. Have picked up some great training tips and other ideas from this new forum already. Thanks Donal and Evan for this wonderful new forum!
  • May - Jim McDonnell Lake Swims
    June - Chesapeake Bay and MIMS (first real marathon swim!!)
    July - Chris Greene Lake Swims
    Then the Bank of Mom and Dad runs out...
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2012
    @swimmergirl23 Can't wait to follow your GPS dot around Manhattan. My money's on you to continue the traditional female domination of MIMS!

@Theodore That is one beastly sounding swim. I looked up your website and loved that one of your goals is "highlighting shark awareness." LOL. It's an honor to have you here, sir!

@Kate_Alexander You're welcome! Where is the stage swim taking place, or can you reveal that?
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    I have a short season this year that ends in July with an eye to EC in 2013.

Jamie's Swim Camp
    Hagg Lake 4K
    MIMS
    USMS 10K National Championship
    Secret Swim (25K) (not confirmed)
    11 mile Portland Bridge Swim
    Cascade lakes 3K & 5K
  • CliffCliff Member
    Tahoe crossing on August 4th. Thought since I live at elevation I may as well try swimming a big one at elevation and make a family vacation out of it while I'm at it. Should get back to Colorado just in time for the Horsetooth 10K.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited March 2012
    Nemo, love the description of Ned's week as Learn To Swim week. I won't be swimming during it except the first two days, but I will see you there, I'm on Torturer Duty with Lisa for the TBBC. Be afraid. See you and Carl over here!

loneswimmer.com

• English Channel July 10-18th 2012
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    1st leg of 8 Bridges, 25 June. This is a steel-cage deathmatch revenge swim to make up for last year's DNF within spitting distance of the finish after about 7 hours in the water.

Other than that, I have nothing specific planned. Money is very tight this year.

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member
    edited March 2012
    @evmo said: @Kate_Alexander You're welcome! Where is the stage swim taking place, or can you reveal that?

The swim is in Grand Cayman - nothing tidy, like halfway around, to make a nice record - just want to do the distance.

• njoynjoy Member
    Kingdom 10 miler in Vermont and the Swim Across the Sound (from Long Island to Connecticut), both in July.

I very much appreciate all the great information on this forum.
  • MunatonesMunatones Charter Member
    The replica of the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim course in Marine Stadium in Long Beach, California, USA on September 23, 2012. The Olympic marathon swimming course used at the 2012 London Olympic Games will be replicated in Marine Stadium which was the site of the rowing competition of the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics. I look forward to swimming 6 loops in a compact course. People are free to swim 1 loop (1.66 km), 3 loops (5 km) or 6 loops (10 km).

Steven Munatones
    www.worldopenwaterswimmingassociation.com
    Huntington Beach, California, U.S.A.

• BillBill Member
    kingdom - 10 mile... It'll be my first open water race in nearly 15 years. Great motivation to get me back training hard.
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    Arizona S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge (four lakes dam to dam - Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt). - May

MIMS, New York, in June.
    Kingdom Swim, Vermont, July.
    English Channel, July 2013.
  • WaterGirlWaterGirl Scottsdale, AZCharter Member
    Arizona S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge (four lakes dam to dam - Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt). - May
    I've never heard of that. Is it a solo event? Do you need volunteers for your crew?
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    I have a kayak with your name on it. Shoot me an email and I'll fill you in: kent@kmnlaw.com.
  • nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    @swimmergirl23: I am also doing the Jim McDonnell Lake swim, the Chris Green Lake swim, the Chesapeake Bay swim (just the one miler, I did not make it into the lottery) and also, the Smith Mountain Lake 5K in September, and the 5 mile Bridge swim in Richmond Va. in October - maybe you could check out those last 2 swims as well...
  • LOSTswimmerLOSTswimmer Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMember
    I'm doing Tampa Bay Marathon Swim (38k) in about a month... then the FKCC Swim Around Key West (20k) in June... and a Lake Ontario Crossing (42.2k) in August. Starting to get a bit nervous for TBMS... tough to get the long swims in this time of year in Canada! Should be good though...

Cheers,
    Rob

• @nvr2late: I haven't heard of those other two but I'm always down for more OW swimming (assuming the entry fee is reasonably affordable)! Do you know the dates of those swims/could you possibly point me in the direction of race info? I'm starting med school in August so I need to make sure I don't overbook!
  • LOSTswimmerLOSTswimmer Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMember
    Sure Abby, you can find the info on our site, with links to those races... http://lostswimming.com/?page_id=3224 . We are also hosting the 3.8k LOST race and the 10k Cdn National Championship this summer (Aug 11).

Cheers,
    Rob

• nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    @swimmergirl23 - I don't know the specific sites - so, for the Smith Mountain Lake 5k in September, just google that - it is something like"summit group" .. Registration is not yet open for that one - and the 5 mile swim in Richmond is in October - it is called "To the Bridge and Back" and to find it, google "Peluso Open Water" - congratulations on your entrance into Med School! Would love to know your name to look for you at all these swims - is this blog intended to be anonymous i quess?
  • GarbageBargeGarbageBarge NY (Hudson Valley)Mem​ber
    Co-directing (with Rondi) a 2.5K and 5K event in Poughkeepsie... 200 swimmers max
    Date/ web site for registration? I'd be interested in the 5K.
  • TinkerBellTinkerBell Teesside UKMember
    edited March 2012
    My first post on here......not sure these class as marathon swims, but they are marathon swims to me..........
    5k Wykeham (BLDSA)
    5mile Coniston and Derwentwater (BLDSA)
    7.5mile Ullswater (BLDSA)

Possibly one way Windermere after than.....if not this year then definitely next year. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it! :)
    MLamby