Leonore Modell

HaydnHaydn Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
I am looking for this lady who swam the English Channel in 1964. Any clues where to look?

Comments

• HaydnHaydn Member
    Yes, I found that. But I want to speak with her.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    According to the Google News Archives, Leonore hails from Sacramento, California. That's a start, at least.
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    Great reports. Gonna be tough finding her then, she will probably have a different surname. I didn't realise she was only 14.
  • paulmpaulm Senior Member
    Maybe try contactingthe CSA to see if she is still on their email mailing
    list ??
  • AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    @Haydn I think I have her Mom's address and possibly a phone number... I'll PM you what I found... I knew all that military intelligence training I did would pay off eventually :)
  • Hayden or Niek my name is Leonore Modell Messenger what would you like to know?
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited September 2013
    Hey Leonore, @Haydn is sitting here beside me in Dover. He wondered if you were the person who swam off Dungeness as a Channel swim when you were quite young? (To save him heading off to get his own laptop). Thanks.

loneswimmer.com

• Woah. This forum network worked better than LinkedIn.
  • Loneswimmer, I don't know where I swam most of the time, but I landed at the base of Shakespear Cliffs by Dover harbor. I stayed in Folkstone and swam there before my swim from Cape Griznez. I am not sure I answered your question are you attempting a crossing?
    Leonore
  • Thanks Leonore, my coach Tom Watch thought it was you who tried to swim the Channel England to France, starting from Dungeness. The route hasn't been tried again ever since. Last week I tried. It didn't work out.

There are still a lot of firsts out there still to be swum. Anybody fancy it next year?
  • Try Greta Anderson
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @Leonore, it is great to have you on here. I think many of us would love to hear your marathon/channel swimming stories.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• It took me a long time to find this site and it seems that my experience was so long ago it might be a bit out dated. My Tahoe swim was in 1963 fifty years ago. Although I am 1 year younger than Diane Nyad. I will be up at Tahoe in October for my 50th anniversary. My anniversary for the English channel is next year. I hope to go to England and take the Chunnel. I will in the near future relay some of my tails of open water swims. Thanks for the encouragement Mike.
    edited September 2013
    I appreciate it @Leonore. After reading Wind, Waves and Sunburn (a book you're in, btw), I really want to hear stories of marathon swimming from back then. Hell, I am killing myself trying to figure out how to bring back the golden days swims like La Tuque 24-hours. (I'm trying to get an OW organization here in the DC area interested in doing a pairs 24-hour swim around Roosevelt Island. Not much interest...YET!)

Thanks again!

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I second @ironmike's vote- I'd love some stories!
  • Hey Leonore, how about forming a 1960s reunion relay? Have one last EC swim.
  • jvjjvj Charlotte, NCMember
    edited September 2013
    A couple more pictures...

1640x830-Fn43GFdQScJkrvl0.jpg

1640x830-Q1PgZNAWbVMHzgae.jpg
    Well that didn't work. Not sure why I can't embed pictures but here are the links.

http://channeltwentyone.com/zoom/1640x830/2932783.html

http://channeltwentyone.com/zoom/1640x830/2932784.html
    @jvj, did you follow the directions on the New Member Guide?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    I fixed @jvj's embeds.

Method:
    - Right-click on image
    - click "Copy Image URL"
    - insert image URL

As @Niek says, this should end in .jpg, .png, or .gif, NOT .html.
    Thanks @evmo and @Niek. Learning something new everyday...
  • You guys really crack me up, thanks for the photos. You should see the one of me after my Farallon attempt. At least these I look alive. I must say I thought my swims had been forgotten.
  • No, not forgotten - with all the renewed interest in marathon swimming, I think a lot of people would love to hear more about your swims
    @Leonore, still waiting to hear your answer on @Haydn's question about an EC relay anniversary swim. I'm saving money, just in case. ;)

• If you get enough together I would consider it. I am out of shape for swimming but I workout dry all of the time so it would be a matter of getting wet more often. Also I could go along as support? I can repress my silly fears for an hour at a time.
  • We just need a team of 6 swimmers from the 60s. So Leonore, you have to be a swimmer. Do you know 5 others. Maybe a 70s team, maybe an 80s team. Oooops, think I have come up with another great idea for a day in the Channel. Lets get five relay teams , one from each decade. Only one prequisite.......they must have swum a solo Channel swim in the decade their team represents.
  • Where do you come up with this stuff. Is it nightmares that you unleash upon the marathon world. Sounds like fun its 55 degrees out here in the Pacific that should be do able for training. You guys crack me up.
  • Oh Niek, that's it. We reprise the old English Channel races. A relay comprising 6 swimmers, all must have a solo Channel swim in the decade they represent and each team must have a swimmer from each decade. Leonore can captain the USA team and we find 11 other international teams. And get Rolex to sponsor a watch for the winning team.......Maybe gauge some interest in Ireland next couple of weeks?
  • Happy Anniversary, Leonore!!!