Women's Suit Styles

TraceyTracey Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
I did a search and found the thread on suit materials, but I'm looking for advice on women's suit styles. Specifically high-neck, water polo type suits. My problem is that I'm ample up top and most regular suits create a scooping effect at my sternum. I just found a high neck Nike suit that fits a bit better, though still not great. Has anyone used a water polo suit with the super high neck and the zipper up the back? Does the zipper chafe at all? Any other brands or styles that may work?

Comments

• firebahfirebah Charter Member
    My guess is in a marathon swim after many hours that zipper will begin to chafe. Your problem is a problem for many women even if not amply endowed. Everything goes right down the suit through the cleavage and you wind up with lots of kelp and bit and pieces inside your suit.
  • As far as I know Anna Wardley is using this sort of suits during her marathon swims (as you can see here: ). So chafing does not seem to be an issue.
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    Any gals have an opinion on wide straps vs. skinny? I feel more comfortable in wide strap suits, but maybe skinny straps chafe less for marathon swims in the ocean. I'd appreciate some input.

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I'm a thin strap kinda girl. Tho, I think we're all different, so try a few styles and brands before finding what works best on you.
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    Good excuse to order a couple of new suits :-) I'll report back after taking each one for a long swim.

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• Theres a Speedo hydra suit I think its called - comfy with a zipper up the back. Never found the zipper to chaffe, just under my arms needs extra greasing in the sea (that said havent worn it for any seriously long swims).
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    The suits I used for Dover training were Dolfin Uglies V-2 back which have thin straps.

On my Channel swim I wore a Splish thin strap costume with Vaseline and had no problems with chafing. I'm also "ample" up top and never found any of these suits to be a problem.

I did try one of the high necked, zipped back suits once but didn't find it very comfortable and it was really unflattering (I imagined I looked like beach balls squeezed into in a black bin bag!). :))
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Does anyone else swim with a two-piece? I find them more comfortable and less chafing.
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    No one needs to see my white, fat gut hanging out! My mom would be horrified.... :-)
  • I've been using thin straps pretty much my whole life and I've never had a chafing issue. My favorites are speedo endurance with the cross back. And @heart I LOVE training outdoors in two pieces - I too find them much more comfortable! But I'm too afraid to race in one... some of those starts can get a little crazy and I wouldn't want to end up over-exposed hehe
  • Does anyone use a technical suit for ows races? The Tyr tracer light full john (FINA approved for ow) is on sale at a couple of places, and I'm thinking of going for it. I tried one on and I liked the compression, but I'm worried about how tight the straps are across the top of my shoulders (leaving red marks--but so do my poly suits when I first wear them). Do these stretch out a bit when wet or with use? FWIW, the longest ows race on my schedule is 5 miles.