Front Mounted Snorkel In Open Water

SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
My Fellow Sharks et al,

Have you ever used a front mounted snorkel while swimming in open water???…….by keeping my head down I was totally absorbed in the moment… I was able to focus on my stroke and actually I think I swim faster??? Swam in and around Aquatic Park for about an hour and one half...I even saw my face before I was born...quite a trip….I think this might be a great tool for stroke balance and focus…but it could be scary for some in the murky waters of the bay looking at who knows what!!!!

[img][/img]GOPR0559-001.JPG

El Sharko....... aka Chris Blakeslee
"I never met a shark I didn't like"

707-495-0522

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2013
    there's @trouble rocking some OW butterfly at the end of the clip...

PS Sharko - who is Lee? A forum member?
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Lee is not a forum member...but is a South End member...@trouble knows him...

Sharko

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2013
    Sharko wrote:
    Lee is not a forum member...but is a South End member...@trouble knows him...
    Oh, that Lee. Yes, I've slept in his bed (he was not present).
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    Maybe a bit of a problem for long swims. As you exhale (unless all the exhaled air is purged through a valve), you will have a tube full of co2 enriched air. This exhaled air becomes the first portion of air you breath in as you inhale. Over time you will have breathed in a lot of co2. You may find your breathing pattern is disrupted as you try to blast breath to clear the snorkel rather than breath normally. Also in salt water, your gums might get friction burns.
  • These have become very popular I see lots of them, I have one and its easy to swim with, but I dont think many events allow them, Whatever aids you train with dont get too used to them.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    I was concerned about the the exhalation and any holding of co2 but didn't experience it for about 1 1/2 hour swim....may in fact limit salt water exposure to the mouth..not sure...but certainly a different experience swimming and much easier to observe the stroke and concentrate and balance....I have just implemented a new rule that all Bubble Cap Channel Swimming Association swims "will allow" the use of the front mounted snorkel and of course bubble caps are mandatory.

• edited April 2013
    B.C.C.S.A. ! Alright! image