Salt Water Nose Rinse/Flush

SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
I have been using this for years and it is just good for you sinuses particularly during the pollen season....I use a hypertonic solution (more salt) and mix some baking soda as a buffer....medical say 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt (sea salt with no additives) and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 8 oz of water (my mix has more salt as I have gotten used to it and works better)....I also just suck in salt water in my nostrils when I am swimming in the ocean....really clears and cleans out the sinuses....I fill a bottle with deionized water or distilled water and add the salt and baking soda...use the cap to suck into on nostril at a time all the way up into the sinuses.....you will be amazed what comes out....you will be breathing better in no time...and this is good for swimmers...you can check out medical articles on the web for reference.

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    I use a neti pot most days after I swim in the pool, and it works pretty well for me. I didn't think to add baking soda, what does it do?
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    I just use salt water in a bowl. Just stick your nose in and suck it deep into your nostrils until it drips into the back of your throat. However, I prefer to go to Hawaii and body surf really big waves. Both seem to work very well.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    The baking soda acts as a buffer as the salt can be irritating in higher concentrations.. Do as Bob does and let the water run to the back of the throat. Body surfing in Hawaii the best natural way to do this..."I am working on a plan" to make this happen more regularly...I flush first thing in the morning usually....

• I did the same today as you advise Sharko but did not read the amounts I put at least a teaspoon + of Kosher salt and a teaspoon of baking soda in my Netti pot with about 1 cup water so I tasted it "a while" duh! With the Netti pot it does not seem to be the same as inhaling into the nose, The water just runs out the nose and not down the throat, I did as bobswims said with a mixing bowl with no lip around it and that did go down the throat well, My Netti pot has been sitting and will get much more use Thanks! It was a good tip as most of my swims are in indoor pools.
  • firebahfirebah Charter Member
    I just go out and swim in the ocean 5-6 days a week. Mother Nature's nasal flush (-:
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    edited April 2013
    So it must have been bad karma. I woke up with one this morning. There was one thing I don't think I was clear about in my post above. You don't take a lot of salt water down your throat. Just enough that you are confident the rinse went all of the way through. Then cover the good nostal and blow it out through your bad nostril. Make sure you do this over a sink and not just into a tissue. It can be an ugly affair, and usually is. If they are both bad then do the other nostril. Rinse and repeat as necessary.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited April 2013
    I actually do this outdoors and suck into one nostril at a time...I pour into the cap of a sports bottle (diameter of a silver dollar and 1 inch deep or so) , plug the opposite nostril, and suck in with head down so salt water runs out through the mouth and not into the stomach...do the same on the opposite side...blow it all out and bring a wash cloth or small towel..

• trouttrout Member
    edited April 2013
    As a former professional marathon swimmer I can tell you that it's not unpleasant swimming 8 hours in the ocean but not as enjoyable as clear fresh water. Normal feedings that in fresh water might consist of Gatorade with extra glucose would make you want to vomit in salt water (from the salt in the Gatorade). Although carbonated, I found that Coke or Pepsi "cut" through the salt better than most things I remember. Several posters mentioned peaches and it reminded me that Abou-Heif the great Egyptian distance swimmer who won the 62 mile race across lake Michigan loved to drink canned peaches during races.