Bay area near Union Square?

JonMLJonML Member
edited April 2013 in Locations & Networking
Hi all,

I'll be in the SF Bay area next week. Is there OW swimming to be had anywhere near Union Square?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2013
    1. Aquatic Park.
    2. Aquatic Park.
    3. Aquatic Park.
    4. Private chartered swim in the bay with Gary Emich or Swim Art.
    5. Baker Beach / China Beach (NW edge of the city, outside the Golden Gate).
    6. Ocean Beach
    7. Swim to Farallons.

Just kidding on #7.

Seriously, though, unless you're experienced with the SF Bay, just go to Aquatic Park, or charter a private swim.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2013
    @Niek, how do you plan on getting to Alcatraz and back? It's a major shipping channel. See #4 above.

As for Gashouse Cove, yes, that's part of the general Aquatic Park vicinity. Wouldn't recommend it unless already familiar with AP swimming. Keep in mind the OP.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2013
    @Niek, good luck with that. I'm sure the Coast Guard will be sympathetic to your efforts.

Where are you from again? The Netherlands? Thanks for the helpful info.
  • JonMLJonML Member
    Aquatic Park it is. :) Looks a bit cold, but do-able.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    You'll love it!!! You can laugh at the people on Segway tours while you swim
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Jon, if you want to come out to Aquatic Park over the weekend for a few loops, message me.
  • trouttrout Member
    edited April 2013
    If you're going outside the marked swimming area, get a boat to follow beside you. I had a friend, a former professional marathon swimmer, who trained alone in the bay and lost both of his legs when a power boat ran him over. It also ended his swimming career.
  • JonMLJonML Member
    I ended up swimming briefly (1,000 yards, about 20 minutes) at Aquatic Park. Water temp, 53. A bit chilly for a boy who hasn't been in open water since October. But fun and thanks for the advice, everyone.