Special needs bag

stevenc616stevenc616 Member
edited May 2013 in Beginner Questions
Attempting the Swim to the Moon 10k in Michigan this year for my first "marathon" swim. Has anyone here ever done this swim? More to the point, what do I put in my special needs bag for the turn around? They have aid stations along the way with nutrition and hydration...what else would I or anyone else need? Fishing pole?

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    I've thought about doing that swim. I grew up in North Central Ohio, and that would be a good excuse to visit home some year.

What I use to feed is a rope, with caribeaners at either end (one end to attach to a kayak, the other end to attach to a bottle), with a pull buoy for the water bottle end. Kayaker throws the bottle to me, I feed, and keep swimming. You could attach to a dock, especially if there are cleats on the dock.

For a special needs bag, I don't know, maybe another pair of goggles in case your primary pair runs into issues? Some kind of treat that's different from your normal feeds?

For a 10k, it's a short enough swim that conditions shouldn't change too drastically, so my prime concern would be nutrition.
  • JonMLJonML Member
    I've never done the swim--it has always occurred at a time when I'm out of town--but I live in the area and know the waters a bit. One things to be aware of is that it's likely you'll be walking through some of the shallower areas and that it's possible to step on something you'll wish you hadn't stepped on. :( . I'd recommend a couple of large band-aids in your turnaround bag.
  • Bandages, check. Great idea...along with a towel and antiseptic. Am I to worry about broken glass, trash or clam shells? Those clams will open up a pretty wide gash. Maybe some GU and anit-fog spray. Extra goggles are on the list but going in my shorts for the whole ride. Strategically placed of course. I'll post a race review afterwards for everyone. Any other suggestions will be welcomed with great apprecitation!
    stevenc616 wrote:
    ...anit-fog spray. Extra goggles are on the list but going in my shorts for the whole ride.

If you were close to getting a new pair, using them for the first or second time on race day would mean you probably wouldn't need the anti-fog or the new pair of goggles. I used a pair for the first time the day before my 25k, and then the whole 8.5 hours I didn't have any issues with them fogging up.

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    timsroot wrote:
    If you were close to getting a new pair, using them for the first or second time on race day would mean you probably wouldn't need the anti-fog or the new pair of goggles. I used a pair for the first time the day before my 25k, and then the whole 8.5 hours I didn't have any issues with them fogging up.

I'm a firm believer in cracking open a new pair of goggles for any big event.

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

dc_in_sf wrote:
    I'm a firm believer in cracking open a new pair of goggles for any big event.

To be fair, I wear the Sporti Swedish goggles, which are, for the tinted kind, maybe $8 per pair. If you wore more expensive goggles, I could understand why someone might hesitate to break in a new pair.
  • JonMLJonML Member
    stevenc616 wrote:
    Bandages, check. Great idea...along with a towel and antiseptic. Am I to worry about broken glass, trash or clam shells?

Glass and fish hooks. :(
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Ugh yeah I did the 5k a few years ago and didn't dare stand up. Fun, quirky swim though, and great prizes!!!
  • Definitely new goggles, clear and tinted (Barracuda Hydrobats BTW, love 'em). Never even considered fish hooks though, yikes!. I think that I'll just keep swimming until I run out of water and stand up on the grass.