Cork Distance Week

nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
edited February 2020 in General Discussion
I have been trying to find out if there will be a Ned Denison swimming camp in Cork, Ireland in 2013. And I would enjoy any reports from previous participants.
Tagged:

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited October 2012
    It will definitely be held. It's scheduled for July. I'll post the Active Link form later when I have a chance. I've either swam or been a volunteer torturer, at a few. It's a tough week of open water swimming and highly recommended. What do you want to know?

Edit: Ok, it's July 6th to 13th. The Active.com registration link isn't up yet that I can see.

loneswimmer.com

• nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    I thought that it was a sort of boot camp for Channel Aspirants or other crazed swimmers. I will be heading to Dover on July 21st, so it would not work for me this year.
    It is, if you can survive Distance Week, you are ready for the Channel. It was held in early June this year and last year, but since it's run by Ned and a whole bunch of volunteers, particularly the second weekend with the TBBC on Saturday and Qualification swims on Sunday and involves swims all over the south of the country during the week, it has to fit with their/our schedules also.

loneswimmer.com

Yes, I have been in communication with a woman who did Ned's camp last spring and also was a successful Channel Swimmer this summer - that is why I was inquiring - so my next question will be - who may be going to Mallorca with Swim Trek in April? (It has been changed from Gozo - due to jellyfish)
    Putting this here for future searches.:

Active.com link for Cork Distance Week 2013:

http://www.activeglobal.com/ie/swimming/kinsale-ireland/cork-open-water-distance-week-2013

loneswimmer.com

• nvr2late - I'll be at Swimtrek's distance training in April - 20th to 25th April event. I did Ned's camp in 2009; and went last year, but only participated marginally because of an injury. I can highly recommend it for cold water acclimatisation, distance covered, variety of swim conditions, and the wonderfully friendly co-participants and local swimmers.
    @Carlse6 - I will also be in Mallorca the same week, April 20th - 25th!
  • owenswims93owenswims93 Fermoy, IrelandSenior Member
    I think the 2013 Camp starts with one of the best events around, the "Vibes & Scribes" Lee Swim. A real treat for the Campers!

http://fermoyfish.com – Owen O'Keefe (Fermoy, Ireland)

• Thanks Loneswimmer for the link. I just signed up.
    I do really dig your blog.
    Be gentle with me.

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• firebahfirebah Charter Member
    I went to Ned's camp last year and it was fantastic! Good fun and loads of swimming.
    Dawn_Treader, I am one of the friendlier of the torturers for the TBBC. I'm usually only there at the weekend, though I hope to run a swim for the camp attendees. The day my swim was due this year, conditions were so bad the camp swimmers had to swim in a lake.

loneswimmer.com

• so what, are they doing, throwing molotov cocktails at the swimmers?

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    so what, are they doing, throwing molotov cocktails at the swimmers?

shhh, you're giving them ideas ....

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    There's an article in the latest issue (#14) of H2Open magazine on Ned Denison. It discusses his distance week. Perhaps 2014 for me.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• NedNed Charter Member
    so what, are they doing, throwing molotov cocktails at the swimmers?

That's an idea...we haven't tried fire yet on the torture swim ! It would be so cool....the torturee swimming between two lines of flames....only to find the way blocked by more fire..yeah !

Thanks for the idea Dawn...

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    But fire is so warm...
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    edited February 2020
    Cork Distance Week.
    Are you going? Where are you staying? Where is the nearest place to the training water?
    edited March 2013
    Kinsale is the nearest town, very pretty coastal tourist town, about 10 minutes cycle away (some travelling swimmers might consider renting a bike, but a lot of people will car pool). You could get a B&B there which most people will probably do, or you could stay in Cork City, but that's about 30 minutes drive away. Alternatively there's Garrylucas village on the other side of the peninsula, or Ballyporeen, a little bigger, about the same distance away.

Kinsale has plenty of good restaurants (it markets itself as Ireland's gourmet capital). Some people prefer to get self-catering accommodation and may be looking for people to share since B&Bs won't usually provide breakfast before the 6am swims, though people work around this fairly easily. Ned would have the details if anyone is looking to share..

I may be down on the first Friday (fun) night just to say hello to a few people who are coming, possibly also for the Monday night swim if it's a repeat of last year's, and I hope to be hosting a swim during the week over on the Copper Coast (which got blown out last year). I'll be down for the final weekend volunteering for the Torture Swim, I haven't decided about the qualification swim day yet.

loneswimmer.com

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    I'd so love to do this one day!!!!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Me too! Agus mé féin!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    There's a campsite near-ish to Sandy Cove (Garrettstown House Holiday Park) - I stayed there in my campervan, but they have tent camping too. I thought the site was a bit bland, but it has great views and did the job.
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    I think a holiday home would be best. Can get a decent sleep and stay warm between sessions .
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    I booked a holiday apartment. Who else is going?
  • SylleSylle SwedenMember
    See you there :)

1kykj.gif

(Practicing my out-of-water stroke ... in case the water is still too cold then ...)

• No one said anything about getting choked.
    Email from Ned:

***For all of those who signed up for the torture swim...some good news! Gabor will be out of prison in time to be on one of the "helper boats" again. It was a bum rap anyways - the other guy had it coming.

Also, the torture swim is a bit like the experiments with the lab rats for cancer...the rats always die: even tender loving care will kill them. You WILL suffer...of this their is no doubt...even if Gabor needs to get in and choke you

edited June 2013
    Assume anything & everything can happen to you! BTW, Gabor has been known to swim in a thong shaped like a rat. He might wear it while choking you. It's a disturbing sight, but not as bad as Ned's tendency to completely disrobe during your feeds.

loneswimmer.com

• gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Expect to get shat on. Literally!
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    Molly1205 in another thread referred to a great article on the Cork camp: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/water-activities/swimming/Give-Us-Your-Tired-Your-Sore-Your-Shriveled-Masses.html

It seems all of the above comments, and worse, are true... 8-X
  • Dawn_TreaderDawn_Treader Member
    edited June 2013
    What are we going swimming in the sewer? Good that I can swim with an umbrella.

I noticed a few searches coming into my blog for "rat thong". I guess it was you guys wanting to check out Gabor. It was filed under a different name though Here's the image you were looking for! ;) (NSFW!)

I can say that no-one has yet been pooped on. I wasn't aware we drew a line anywhere, but you've made me realise we do. I really wasn't joking though about Ned's tendency to disrobe for feeds. The rest of us wonder about him...!

loneswimmer.com

• mmeadmmead Charter Member
    @loneswimmer I popped in for my monthly visit to the forum just in time to click on your link to Gabor's rat thong. No amount of brain bleach will erase that image in my head..........I may not be back again for a few months.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    [The horror] * 2
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    As unsettling as "Two Girls, One Cup"...

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    I should not have done it. I should not have clicked on the rat thong link. And wasn't there a Cadyshack inspired defecation simulation referenced in that recent Outdoor Magazine article? It appears there are no lines…
    Something I've been meaning to do for a long time: An introductory guide to swimming Sandycove, should be helpful for those of you coming for the first time (not @Sylle, he's a hardcore Sandycover already). I'll have the second (final) part up next Monday or Tuesday.

I had fun trawling back through a lot of photos for this, even a couple of pics from last year's camp.

I have no doubt I'll get some (what we Irish call) slagging (ribbing/teasing/out-and-out abuse) for this, but I've held back the secrets, those you have to learn the hard way!

loneswimmer.com

I am going. Staying in an apartment with 3 other participants. Looking forward to the experience.
  • SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    edited July 2013
    Is the first rule of Distance Week that you don't talk about Distance Week???? :)

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• HaydnHaydn Member
    Best swimming I have ever had. Thanks to great locations, great swimmers and fantastic weather. Too scared to go next year in case the weather is normal. Tough luck, going to apply anyway...........................................Definately recommend every English Channel aspirant to go.
  • The genre of Cork Distance Week narratives is among my favorites. Really enjoyed your write-up, @BrendanOBrien.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Dangerous words creeping into my mind: "I wonder if I could do that." Well done and absorbing read!

BrendanOBrien said:
    I did it this year, here's how I got on:

http://bobsboggyblobblog.blogspot.ie/2016/10/sandy-capped-2-torture-week-diary.html

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member
    edited September 2017

I do love the video shared above... but like many videos about marathon swimming, I feel it concentrates too much on the "bigging it up" aspects and not enough on the pure fun and enjoyment that comes from spending a week in beautiful swimming locations surrounded by a bunch of like minded nutters :-)

If you want a better representation of the fun times then check out Vanessa's videos -

Cork Distance Week 2014

Cork Distance Week 2013

KarenTdpm50KatieBunswimfreeordie
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member

I agree with @phodgeszoho - I joined the camp in 2010 as prep for my EC swim, and it was one of the best weeks of swimming I've ever had. It's challenging, but so much fun, and there are some beautiful locations. My advice - don't get bogged down in the 'torture' talk. Just get in good swimming shape and enjoy.

dpm50JSwimphodgeszohothelittlemerwookieKatieBun