Manhattan/NYC hotel recommendations for MIMS

This discussion was created from comments split from: MIMS Application Questions.

Comments

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    edited April 2012
    Does anyone have any good recommendations on where to stay for MIMS (other than at David Barra's home)
    Leadhyena
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    You are of course most welcome here... but I must warn you that the 93+ miles between my little bomb shelter and south cove will take all of 2 hours (without traffic).
    Choice of fold out, air mattress or hammock!

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Can we sleep on your 22' Zodiac? I'm sure Bob and I would have plenty of room! Just shuttle us down to the start in the morning if you would please...

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Can we sleep on your 22' Zodiac? I'm sure Bob and I would have plenty of room! Just shuttle us down to the start in the morning if you would please...

Now that sounds like a plan!

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited April 2012
    Dave, do you take Irish? There might only be 6 of us.

loneswimmer.com

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    edited April 2012
    Try the Club Quarters near Albany St. I stayed at the Marriott that's right near the North Cove - a good place, but you have to have hit the lottery to afford it or, like me, have a brother who flies to China all the time and has 8 zillion Marriott points.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I stayed at the Club Quarters in Wall Street last year- walking distance (if you want) and reasonable. It was nicely in the middle between my starting place and where I needed to drop off my crew. Good subway access, too.
    I just checked out Club Quarters and it looks very good. It is not available the first night so I would have to arrive a day later on Thursday. I have a hard time adjusting to time zone changes (coming from the west) but that might still be enough time.
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Thanks in advance.
  • jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Jersey City or Harrison, NJ. Both short train trips via PATH to Manhattan. Of course you may need to take a taxi or car depending on how early check in is.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    The Wall Street Inn in lower Manhattan is reasonable on the weekend and there is great food on Stone St right behind it.
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    We stayed at the Club Quarters in Wall Street. Nearly walking distance to the swim start/finish and good Subway access.

http://clubquarters.com/new-york/wall-street
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    We got a great deal on a studio apartment through airbnb. Nice to have space to prepare food and more personal than hotel.
  • Priceline.com can be a good source for a relatively cheap room and if you do the express deals you can find a hotel in a specific neighborhood. The closer to your travel dates the better the prices usually.

How long are you planning on staying in NYC?
    frnkdeb wrote:
    How long are you planning on staying in NYC?
    Planning on coming in on June 12th and leaving June 16th or 17th. I'm familiar with Priceline and Hotwire and generally I travel solo and don't mind last minute bookings via those services however in this case I have crew and the crew's friends etc., that are more nervous about that.

edited March 2014
    I found a great place near the start/finish on Airbnb.com
    So I thought I'd update this post with a link to my TripAdvisor review of the lodging my crew and I stayed at. We did not stay in Manhattan but in Jersey City where I was able to get a much larger place for the $. Ultimately, I think this is a good option to those traveling with a crew/entourage which is likely for a MIMS attempt. Additionally a good option for an out of town group looking to do Little Red Light house swim but also plan a couple days of being tourist. http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g46531-d4522862-Sky_City_at_Regent_3_Bedroom_Duplex-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html

Of couple of things I learned, thoroughly check schedules on a regular PC, for example my Android based smartphone didn't show the entire water ferry schedule from Paulus Hook to the Financial District so I thought ferry service ended at 7:30 PM even though in reality it went until almost 10:00 PM, but a PC did.

Finally my crew @ssthomas, my brother (a triathlete) and myself wanted to get in a swim as I wanted to loosen up before the big day and Sarah didn't want to miss a workout as she was stepping up her mileage. After an extensive internet search we found a reasonably (this is NYC metropolitan area) priced 25-yard pool to swim at Stevens Institute of Technology (SIT) in Hoboken, it was $25 for all three of us. http://www.stevens.edu/sit/

It was a fairly easy light rail ride from are apartment. Additionally we ate at an excellent pizzeria just few blocks from SIT http://mariosclassicpizza.com/
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member
    I stay at the Jane up West Street in the Meatpacking Disctrict. It is rather funky and microscopic rooms. I love it there. It is $105 a night put tax this weekend for a single, shared bath. It is about a $10 cab ride to the MIMS start.
  • nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    Any suggestions on hotels in Manhattan for MIMS?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2014
    Merged several threads for one big MIMS hotel recommendation super-thread!

In 2011 (the year I swam), I stayed at the Aloft in downtown Brooklyn. It had a really nice shower.

2011 for the Ederle Swim was the new W near the WTC site (airline miles, otherwise probably not worth the expense).

In 2013 I stayed at an airbnb in Chelsea with the swim smooth guys.

This year was the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge... nice, sizeable room by Manhattan standards, and also quite affordable. We were on the special-rate "tenement view" wing.

All else being equal, there is definite value in staying near the race start/finish.
    Leadhyena