110 miles, 53 hours: Questions for Diana Nyad

Comments

• Not touching the vessel and the other rules of no flotation or forward momentum was made clear to we crew members. We were instructed not to touch her except to attend to the suit or the sting stopper issues. Somewhere up in this thread around Sept 5 there was a rule quoted that allowed for touching a swimmer for safety issues- adjusting a light etc The only touching of the swimmer was precisely this- in safety measures. She put on her own suit we just helped with taping or covering exposed skin.
    My intent here is not to appear to adjudicate your rules of course. My only intent is to openly provide you with the factual details of the crossing.
  • @Evmo. With all that said, and it being recognized as an assisted swim because of the touching, she still swam 110 miles. It seems you guys are reluctant to give her even that.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    @Jimeboy, if you read back in this thread you will see that most of us believe that once DN's swim is fully vetted we are more than willing to recognize this swim as an assisted swim. One of the most amazing assisted swims ever.
  • edited September 2013
    @Evmo with all due respect, I am citing this comment by Gords on Sept 5 "During a swim no physical contact with the swimmer shall be made by any person other than to pass food and drink or secure such items as light sticks for safety reasons." - http://cspf.co.uk/cs-and-pf-rules
    It would seem to me then that since any touching was extremely rare and solely for "safety reasons" even this touching falls within the allowed Channel Swimming and Piloting Association rules. Of course, I am clearly an "outsider" but I raise this issue as a member of the general public interested in advocating for fairness in vetting of this swim and in the process of arriving at appropriate rules going forward for FL Straits crossings.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    @AngelYanagihara on the CSPF site you will fine the rules for an assisted swim.

"An assisted category swim will be to the same rules as a standard swim except for the allowance, by prior arrangement with the Federation, of the minimum additional aids or contact as is deemed necessary for the safety of the swim on medical or other agreed grounds. An assisted category swim will only be accepted after prior agreement with the Federation."

http://cspf.co.uk/cs-and-pf-rules
  • @gregoc Yes I did read that as well. It seems to me that here is the fine hair splitting work for your group. There is the allowance for touching in the unassisted category "for issues of safety" and in the assisted category "for safety of the swim on medical or other agreed grounds". In the interest of open and respectful debate, for what it is worth, I would suggest that medical intervention in an asthma attack or clear "medical' emergency describes the assisted example, while a proactive safety issue allowed for in the unassisted rules describes the application of the stinger suit tape on her booties and sting stopper on her face.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited September 2013
    The difference with both CSA & CS&PF rules (or any others) though, is we all know what they are before the start ... or @ChloeMcCardeldotcom's & @PennyPalfrey's publication here before their swims of the rulesets.

It's been over a year since people starting asking just what were/are/will be the governing rules. I find it impossible very difficult to reconcile being told what the rules were after every swim, only after the questions are asked, only after we'd asked each time. Why do the apparent rules only come in response to our questions? Nothing I have seen or read on the past week has addressed this question, (or some others).

That's kind of a fundamental point of rules isn't it, their publication? Otherwise how to you determine the difference between reality and a Kafka story?

loneswimmer.com

• I see. Sounds like a question "above my pay grade". I defer this question to the leadership of the Nyad team. I have just attempted to do my best to provide the information I am aware of. I think I described the rules as I was briefed of them within the context of a working crew member.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    Upon consideration I think I/we should hold @AngelYanagihara less responsible for the "rules," as were apparently explained to her by DN and her crew chief. My frustration with the tortured post-hoc rule interpretations is best directed at DN & crew chief, not Dr. Yanagihara.

Two of the most senior leaders of the CS&PF are members of this Forum, @Nickthefish11 and @KevinMurphy - and presumably several observers as well. Perhaps one of them can clarify interpretation of the "no physical contact" rule, and whether it justifies repeated, planned physical contact with the swimmer:

During a swim no physical contact with the swimmer shall be made by any person other than to pass food and drink or secure such items as light sticks for safety reasons.

I would also note the "rules" of DN's swim have still not been publicly released. Two weeks after the swim.

• Assisted

adjective - An open water swim is assisted when an open water swimmer wears, uses, or benefits from... or any other equipment, tool, object, material, boat, materials that helps increase the natural buoyancy, heat retention or skin protection during the swim whether for extreme temperatures (water or air) or marine life.

Unassisted Swims

If Unassisted, the swimmer wears only traditional swimwear (as defined by the English Channel swimming community), goggles, and if desired, ear plugs and one swim cap.

• This doesn't make sense, as by definition anyone that has used channel grease or sunscreen has been assisted.
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited September 2013
    Here's a quote I see every time I log in...
    Ask questions (there are no dumb ones). Discuss the latest exploits. Cheer on your friends. Lively discussion is welcome - but please, no personal attacks.
    Niek wrote:
    If you're quoting from a dictionary you certainly don't act as an openwater swimmer. Marathon swimmers quote the rules from the CS&PF or the CSA.

Here I'll quote from the CSA rules for you because apparently you won't bother to look them up yourself. http://www.channelswimmingassociation.com/swim-advice/regulations/
    There are numerous ways you could have gotten your point across w/out being so snitty Niek. C'mon. Would you talk like that to someone if you were face to face?
    I'm thinking, no.
  • paulmpaulm Senior Member
    Well fellow swimmers & supporters.....It appears a number of us are 'very petty "

I’m not waiting for any petty little judgment,” Nyad said from her home in Los Angeles. “To think that the 44 people out there would collude in a fraud is absurd. We’ll keep celebrating

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/17/3633708/diana-nyad-cuba-to-florida-swim.html#storylink=cpy

***** Any update on whether we might actually see photocopies of the observers reports ....Not just updated later typed summaries ?? Or is that Petty of me/others to ask ??
  • I think we should just let Nyad go. Nothing we say is going to affect her perception of her swim. And really.. does it matter to you what anyone thinks of YOUR swim? Whether your swim is 25 yards or 25 hours we all have our own challenges. We are giving her the attention she so obviously craves.
    I agree the repercussions are reverberating outside of the OWS marathon community, for good or for bad but at this point, sheesh.. I have had enough of DN.
    Someone,at some time in the future is going to do this swim clean. DN will fade into the sunset.
    It's sad really because if this had been handled better we would be celebrating what truly is a an amazing amount of time in the water, by anyone, let alone a 64 yr old.
  • More yardwork, so more time to think... blame the Court Without Appeal...
    In thinking about Ms. Nyad's recent Cuba-to-Florida swim and after rereading all 500+ posts on the topic, I am shifting my position slightly. I think that:
    1) If we believe that Ms. Nyad didn't "hitch a ride", but received the benefit of a helpful current, and
    2) If we believe the 7+ hour no-feed log entry was a mistake, and
    3) If nothing else, other than what we already know about in terms of assistance, comes up, then
    Ms. Nyad should be recognized as the first person to legitimately complete an ASSISTED swim of Cuba-to-Florida. However, by saying "ASSISTED" I propose that her accomplishment is NO LESS in stature then a hypothetical UNASSISTED (EC rules) swim of the same route would be.
    I say this after thinking about Hillary & Norgay's first ascent of Everest. It is clear that they had assistance in the form of oxygen, sherpas (in fact, Norgay was a sherpa), a massive supply chain, etc. It was only in about 1978 that Messner & Haebler did Everest with no assitance, but that in no way diminished the first ascent. In marathon swimming we have had, with the EC rules, the equivalent of Messner & Haebler's rules from the get-go. It strikes me as too restrictive for swims that have little or no history of completion. As to the argument of "How much assistance is too much?", I think that it must be decided on a case-by-case basis. For example, if someone were to complete it now with a shark cage, that is outside what is already been done, so it is "too assisted." Once Cuba-to-Florida is done under EC rules (and it WILL be done eventually), then that is the new standard, but doesn't diminish Ms. Nyad's swim.
    Having said that, however, keep in mind that this is predicated on the above three conditions and I have yet to be 100% convinced of those. Also, I do not buy the "first person across makes the rules" argument or anything else that resonates of sophistry. Ex post facto rule disclosure is also, at best, amateurish and, at worst, it is asking for trouble/nonacceptance - witness this thread.
    Ms. Nyad's swim, if it meets the above three points, should be considered a legitimate ASSISTED swim and part of the evolution of swimming the Cuba-To-Florida route. The revolution (EC rules) has yet to occur.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• (Various forum members have messaged me to apologize for the tone used by some members, This thread seems something of a lighting rod for multiple agendas.
    I came as the forum invite offers for information and open non derogatory discussion.)
    Yes LBJ those three points are correct. Where is this "log" you speak of reporting 7 hrs without feeds or water? That is not accurate.
    I have labored to understand the culture here and this "EC" rules viewpoint. Digging into the EC rules myself I find the proviso for touching the swimmer for "safety issues". We did not offer "medical" intervention- according to EC rules an example of "assisted" touching. We made perhaps a dozen brief under 5 sec touches over 52 hours for safety reasons ie "unassisted" rules by the "pure" EC standard itself.
    I find it "tortured" "nonsense" to equate those limited touches equivalent to "assisted" swims such as shark cage and fin swims. You may be prompted to shout this comment down as "amateurish" but I do believe the press is reading this too and common sense and logic will dictate the broader assessment of this swim.
    In my opinion, to denigrate Diana as many here on this long thread have with hundreds of derogatory snipes does not demonstrate objective good sportsmanlike conduct. I do not believe there was any requirement for her to come to any particular board or international body before hand and submit a request for approval of her rules. Steve Munatones was onboard last year so I do believe she has worked hard with the leadership of this community. Encouraging folks to do this swim by "pure EC rules" could lead to loss of life. Chloe could have suffered lethal stings. Most of the Irikandji fatalities have been in healthy fit adults. To carry forward on LBJ's comment, the FL Straits is a t Mt Everest of swimming. Diana spent her whole life dreaming of that mountain and put together repeated improving world class efforts to accomplish it. She did not give up despite 4 failures. I gave my all as many of us did but I frankly thought there were too many moving parts and variables to allow for success. She showed amazing athleticism, discipline, and heroic heart out there to accomplished an historic achievement.
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    Where is this "log" you speak of reporting 7 hrs without feeds or water? That is not accurate.

There was a post on her blog during the swim that indicated that the crew had not stopped Ms. Nyad between midnight and 7am on one of the nights of the swim. I understand that during the phone call, the team actually posting the blog misunderstood something, and, as you state, it was not accurate.

I find it "tortured" "nonsense" to equate those limited touches equivalent to "assisted" swims such as shark cage and fin swims. You may be prompted to shout this comment down as "amateurish" but I do believe the press is reading this too and common sense and logic will dictate the broader assessment of this swim.

I understand your perspective. I agree that the touching provided by you and the crew is less assistance than fins or a shark cage. But anything other than incidental touching is assistance. If my bottle is tethered to the boat and the boat pulls me along via that tether, that would be assistance, and my swim should be denoted as such. As @evmo stated, the rules are written that way to avoid shades of gray, and make it easy for the observer to be objective.
    In my opinion, to denigrate Diana as many here on this long thread have with hundreds of derogatory snipes does not demonstrate objective good sportsmanlike conduct. I do not believe there was any requirement for her to come to any particular board or international body before hand and submit a request for approval of her rules. Steve Munatones was onboard last year so I do believe she has worked hard with the leadership of this community.

I am speaking only for myself, but based on Ms. Nyad's previous attempts, specifically her attempt last year, where she did not report to media until well after the fact that her attempt was turned into a stage swim by boarding the boat, she brought her credibility into doubt. @munatones did nothing to help, as he was the observer, owns and maintains probably the largest open water swimming news outlet, and did not publicize this fact very quickly, either.

I agree that there has been plenty of denigration (a charge I don't claim innocence toward), but I also think that there have been plenty of reasonable questions that were brought forward without malice. A lot of Ms. Nyad's supporters assumed malice (and there was some floating around, I agree), and things escalated from there, I think.

You are correct that there is not a requirement to file a set of rules, but it is a common practice within the marathon swimming community. Many swims are conducted under various sanctioning organizations (Channel Swimming Association, Channel Swimmers and Pilots Federation, Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association, NYC Swim, etc), some are not. If you are under one of these organizations, they have a list of rules that you will comply with if you want your swim to be ratified. Similarly, as @ChloeMcCardeldotcom and @pennypalfrey did before their attempts, they publicized the criteria by which they were going to attempt the swim. It should be noted that @pennypalfrey did not adhere to strict CSA rules, as she wore a stinger suit also, but her attempt was celebrated very highly nonetheless.

I agree that denigrating Ms. Nyad is not the best sportsmanship. However, I also think that her happiness at the lack of success for @ChloeMcCardeldotcom and @pennypalfrey also demonstrates poor sportsmanship. One thing that I love so dearly about the endurance sports community, even beyond marathon swimming, is that competition often comes second for most of the participants. The joy in taking part and completing the task at hand is first for most of the athletes I've met who compete in extreme undertakings such as this. I can understand, to a point, the desire to be the first to accomplish something, but I don't regard Ms. Nyad's attitude towards the other swims in this part of the ocean as positive.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    We made perhaps a dozen brief under 5 sec touches over 52 hours for safety reasons ie "unassisted" rules by the "pure" EC standard itself.
    Yet, in reality, this is nothing like how the CS&PF interprets that rule in practice. Securing a light-stick that has unexpectedly come loose is categorically different than planned, repeated, full-body contact as involved in changing a swim costume. The latter would not be allowed in the EC.

Do you have a video example of one of these suit changeovers, to support your contention of incidental contact? It was my impression based on reports from Diana's crew that this was a 10-15 minute procedure.
  • It was a lengthy procedure because she did all the work of changing herself. There was no "full body contact" involved . We had extremely limited very brief contact - application of tape on ankles and wrist margins and sting stopper to face.
    It was a lengthy procedure because she did all the work of changing herself. There was no "full body contact" involved . We had extremely limited very brief contact - application of tape on ankles and wrist margins and sting stopper to face.

To me, the application of tape around the wrists and ankles would qualify, very clearly, as assistance.

• But bringing the question back to "EC rules" (for the sake of this discussion), the motivation of the contact was seen by the crew as a safety measure- thus by EC rules an "unassisted" contact.
    I do not mean to appear argumentative and I intend no disrespect; I am clearly an outsider here. The reason for me to try to engage thoroughly is really to receive instruction as to the mindset of forum members. I thank you for the civil discussion.
    But bringing the question back to "EC rules" (for the sake of this discussion), the motivation of the contact was seen by the crew as a safety measure- thus by EC rules an "unassisted" contact.

I understand that the stinger suit was used for safety reasons, I'm not arguing that point. But how can contact in helping Ms. Nyad change her suit (pictured above in @Neik's post) be deemed as a safety measure?
  • edited September 2013
    Thank you Niek. I had not read those items. Those blog entries are internally inconsistent:
    First Feeding Since Storm
    2:00am Monday September 2, 2013. Swim time: 41:00
    Reported by: Candace Hogan
    Diana came in for the first time since we've resumed formation, for a feeding.

Diana’s Condition Report, First Light
    Monday, 7:30 a.m., Swim time: 46:31
    reported by: Katie Leigh
    When the whistle blew for Diana’s first feeding stop since before midnight,

I was there for all that. We spent about 90 min in squall formation after midnight with lightning, thunder and swell with Diana swimming through it. As soon as the fleet re-assembled she came in for a feeding as noted in Candace's log at 2 am. I am not sure why Katie reported 715am a "first feeding stop since before midnight". That was not accurate.

The photos show the handlers starting the process of the suit but she put it on. I did not observe the booties. She put on her gloves herself. Crew helped her with the tape.

I respect the importance of good dialog and the care with which you are analyzing this swim. From my perspective these contact points were completely limited and prompted by authentic safety issues. I will leave it to your process though to discuss and or develop Fl Strait rules. I am happy to stand by as a source of first hand observation. My intent here again is to respectfully provide factual contexts. It is unfortunate that errors in reporting exist but clearly they do.
    From my perspective these contact points were completely limited and prompted by authentic safety issues.

I think one thing that is very different is the intent of the rules. While it is dangerous to argue intent and with interpretation, I think the intent of the cited "English Channel Rules" is that touching of the swimmer is "allowable" if there is an immediate danger, such as a shark in the area for Cook Straight, or a hypothermic swimmer, or lightning in the area, or incoherent swimmer wandering away from their escort or something like that.

I agree that the preventative measures employed by Ms. Nyad were for safety reasons, I have not heard any report of any immediate dangers that would have warranted (at least in my opinion) the neccessity for her crew to touch her. I wouldn't have any issue with Ms. Nyad administering her own salve, or putting on and taping her own gloves and booties, but if someone else did that for her, that, to me, would be unneccessary, and she should have done it herself.
  • edited September 2013
    @AngelYanagihara. Glad to see you're back. I was worried you and Capt Duke had been chased away. You both have been very generous with information and first hand accounts of Diana's swim, thank you. I hope the discussion will continue and remain civil.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    It is always our aspiration at least that everyone is civil. I'd really encourage you to use the Flag button to notify comments of concern to us.

Believe it or not, we don't see every comment, there's only two of us. Occasionally by the time one of us sees a comment of concern, someone else has quoted it, and we also in different timezones, sometimes that works out well, in this discussion, well, not so much. Sometimes a couple of people will realise that we have edited or removed a comment, where we've felt it necessary that everyone was aware we have left an edit.

That doesn't mean we approve or vet every comment either, you are all adults. Nor does it mean that if a comment is left untouched that we agree with it or the tone. People say things in different ways and with different tones and with having different primary languages, this being a global sport and topic.

I can say for a fact that both @evmo and I have edited or removed comments that could be taken as being on opposite ends of the spectrum of this discussion.

A friend once said to me: in real life everyone assumes other people are decent, the opposite seems to apply online.

loneswimmer.com

• ScottZornigScottZornig Charter Member
    Not to beat a dead horse, but in addition to the stinger suit and touching, Diana also wore gloves, booties, mask, utilized shark divers, jelly fish displacers, streamers and I even heard they may have used shark bombs (but this has not been confirmed). Our community could forgive some inadvertant contact and possibly look past the jelly suit, but all together this adds up to a full-on assisted swim. I am sorry, but I could argue that Diana had even more assistance than Susan or Walter....she certainly had more support.

I am guessing DN's camp is getting tired of the questions and labeling, but didn't Diana herself in 1978, call Walter Poenisch a ‘cheat’ and a ‘fraud’ from which he won a small monetary sum?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    It was a lengthy procedure because she did all the work of changing herself. There was no "full body contact" involved . We had extremely limited very brief contact - application of tape on ankles and wrist margins and sting stopper to face.
    Again, are you willing to make available a video of one of these procedures? Going back and forth about subjective language such as "limited" and "brief" doesn't really help us understand.
    timsroot wrote:
    I think the intent of the cited "English Channel Rules" is that touching of the swimmer is "allowable" if there is an immediate danger, such as a shark in the area for Cook Straight, or a hypothermic swimmer, or lightning in the area, or incoherent swimmer wandering away from their escort or something like that.
    I don't think this is correct. Touching isn't "allowable" in the case of hypothermia, lightning, or wandering swimmer. When the swimmer is touched, the swim is over.
    In the case of the Cook Strait, again, we're talking about Cook Strait rules, not EC rules.
    "timsroot wrote:
    I agree that the preventative measures employed by Ms. Nyad were for safety reasons, I have not heard any report of any immediate dangers that would have warranted (at least in my opinion) the neccessity for her crew to touch her.
    It is worth remembering that Penny Palfrey did 70% of this swim (and 100% of her Cayman Islands swim), managing to take on & off her own stinger suit, without help from crew.
  • @ ScottZornig There were no "jelly displacers". And that would not be a credible approach in the pelagic gulf stream. It would be like trying to displace mosquitoes from a runner in a jungle. As a diver, I kept eyes on the water column to assess the changing marine hazards. There is no way to actually remove all jelly threats. The stingers at night in fact were mostly deep sea siphonophores with (when extended) yard long spider web diameter stinging tentacles and fireworms (curiously out in droves) . Some were collected to be cataloged. There were no shark bombs (what is that?). There was a lighted streamer, there were divers doing perimeter sweeps, there was the safety prompted suit, tape and sting stopper with respective limited contacts. At the end of the day (actually 52+ hrs), folks, she accomplished a heroic feat. She went out and created a world class team, did the research, paid her dues with multiple failed attempts and then she succeeded! This was a thoroughly ethical professional athletic achievement. Was it an EC swim- no it was not. Should fine athletes be encouraged to attempt this swim using EC rules- in my opinion that would be highly unethical to encourage or suggest. I am sick about the financial losses Chloe suffered due to poor/insufficient knowledge and or advice. I hope this forum, in the effort to spur and encourage the best athletic achievements is open to authentically celebrating Diana's achievement.
  • jvjjvj Charlotte, NCMember
    Thank you Niek. I had not read those items. Those blog entries are internally inconsistent:

snip~

It is unfortunate that errors in reporting exist but clearly they do.

The inconsistencies could have easily been cleared up by releasing the raw notes from the observers. Unfortunately that didn't happen.
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited September 2013
    So would it be correct to report that Diana had a feed at 2:00 am and then her next one was at 7:15?
  • paulmpaulm Senior Member
    @ . I am sick about the financial losses Chloe suffered due to poor/insufficient knowledge and or advice. I hope this forum, in the effort to spur and encourage the best athletic achievements is open to authentically celebrating Diana's achievement.

Sorry Angel- As others have said- Penny got 70 % plus across with only the long suit and with no need to have anyone touch her, Chloe did the research and may or may not have been unlucky (that is up for debate at another time ). DN wore suits, mask, and had people touch her along the way helping with the suits and apparently from the blogs along the way only saw a couple of Jelly's towards the end. maybe DN's advice to have all the extra's was incorrect ??? Maybe she could have saved a lot of money by not having all these extra pieces of equipment ??

Re celebrating the swim as JVJ says above and many others have requested- get the team to release the raw data/reports and we can start to celebrate the swim-believe me there are a lot of people on his site that want to genuinely start to do so...when we get the data.

Thanks

• @Paulm Frankly, I am not sure what Chloe's "research" consisted of. I wrote in to her blog to ask who her "jellyfish biochemist" was. I was very concerned at the bravado being expressed prior to her swim. There was no answer. No one has ever identified who advised her that "box jellies should not be a problem". Obviously, that person was dead wrong. There are multiple species of box jellies to contend with across the FL Straits not just one. I have started to worked out the field ecology for many of these tropical species but there is much work to be done. This has nothing to do with luck. The date that Diana choose to make the jump happened to be "good" from the stand point of the 2012 box jelly culprit behaviour modeling (based on phase of the moon, time of astronomical twilight and high tide, deep sea upwelling, ocean floor bathymetry) but just of one species of box jelly. This did not mean we would not encounter others. My plan was to be eyes on and advise. Fortunately, the jellies encountered during the nights were non-life threatening but again we could not have _known_ that. Penny could have suffered a sting on the face or lips that could have been life threatening. Didn't Penny report some stings that had left her depleted? If so, could she have made it out of the trapping current had she not been previously stung?
    As far as the raw data, that is not under my control. I hope that all will be forthcoming.
    I appreciate this dialog and addressing any of the details that I personally can. I have a great deal of respect for this forum and you all as remarkable athletes.
  • @ Jbirrrd She drank and fed regularly so clearly she must have had other stops between 2 am and 7 am . I think Janet was on board for that full night recording the times. Almost every time they stopped, I was in the water and I know it was many times that night that I dove.
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member

This quickly became this.
    The photos show the handlers starting the process of the suit but she put it on. I did not observe the booties. She put on her gloves herself. Crew helped her with the tape.

This is part of the continuing problem. A source from Diana's camp comes forward and makes a statement. The marathon community proves it to be wrong, so the statement changes. Moreover, if you didn't see the actions depicted in the photo, how can you speak with any authority on what was or wasn't done by DN and her crew? That is exactly why you need neutral observers watching her at all times.

No feedings for 7 1/2 hours becomes a misquote by the community even though the source was her own website. You have to see that the community has good grounds for not completely embracing DN's story without first examining it critically?

One thing that DN said that really bugged me was her statement that she doesn't remember touching the boat in her last attempt. Was it so unimportant (or not a rule) that she didn't pay attention? I'm sure if one of her crew members hadn't unknowingly posted the video to You Tube we would still not know. When your crew doesn't know the rules, and there were plenty of people in the video, how can they step forward and defend her. How is it the observers on that last attempt didn't disqualify her immediately? Was touching the boat one of those things that was allowed by her rules, (which I never saw), or was the rule changed once she touched the boat? If it was allowed in the prior attempt, how did the rule change for her successful, albeit assisted, crossing? If Diana changed it, why did she?

So where are the rules that were provided to the observers at the start of her most recent swim? Where are their logs for the swim documenting that at least one of them had their eyes on DN at all times?

All of these are fair questions. No malice here, just curiosity and concern.
    evmo wrote:
    I don't think this is correct. Touching isn't "allowable" in the case of hypothermia, lightning, or wandering swimmer. When the swimmer is touched, the swim is over.
    In the case of the Cook Strait, again, we're talking about Cook Strait rules, not EC rules.

I understand and don't disagree. I'm also aware that cook straight had different rules, just was trying to illustrate a point. But does a preventative measure mean it's justifiable to touch the swimmer, given that there doesn't seem to be any immediate threat?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    @timsroot - I think we're on the same page.

Cook Strait (sharks) and MIMS (lightning) are the only local exceptions I'm aware of, where physical contact is allowable in the event of an unpredicted, immediate threat to the swimmer - i.e., the swim may continue subsequently. The MIMS rule, I think, mostly derives from the unique multi-participant race situation, where a DQ because of lightning would affect not just one, but many people.

In the case of DN's swim, there was apparently no immediate danger, so the physical contact wouldn't qualify even under those (irrelevant) local exceptions.

Planned, repeated physical contact, however, would never be allowed, under EC rules or any other recognized marathon swim.
  • Yes I understand that these core questions are reasonable and not driven by malice. Katie's blog entry was unfortunately inaccurate. These things happen. The suit process was long and laborious because she was the driver of the process. I was a diver and not sitting still to watch. I has diving and doing my job so you rightly must consider that I could not see every second of the process.
    As far as 2012 goes that was a train wreck on many levels. We we trapped in eddies spinning us around like tops the first night then the sea of box jellies then stopped two nights in a row by "life threatening" storms and we were directed to remove the swimmer from the water by Steve Munatones. Voyager suffered a swamped port outboard, a seal broke and we took on water,listing dangerously in rising seas. We had to get all personnel into life vests off voyager in the midst of rough seas and remaining crew hand pumped the bilge and fixed the seal. I haven't seen the YouTube but it may have been after the point at which it was apparent we were definitely not going to make it-but she still swam on. I remember Steve's looks of grave concern. The point was to learn from 2012, 2011 et al and avoid all that 2013.
    Due to the hard lessons learned, remarkable planning, exceptional professionals and perhaps "providence" itself, 2013 was completely different and with the exception of the squall a remarkably favorable crossing.
    I remain happy to address questions.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    The suit process was long and laborious because she was the driver of the process. I was a diver and not sitting still to watch. I has diving and doing my job so you rightly must consider that I could not see every second of the process.
    I remain happy to address questions.
    A video would help us understand.
  • @evmo. In the context of DN's swim, what would you consider immediate danger; 1. when jellies are seen by crew or the swimmer (DN), 2. in a known jelly area, 3. after a sting?

@BobSwims: Bringing up the DN's previous swim really makes this all more difficult to get our heads around. I would just leave it that you are more skeptical. I'm not sure where you are going with "lengthy procedure" turned into "did not observe the booties". Are you suggesting Angel is inconsistent, misleading, or?

Stuart
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I’m sensing confusion about the “rules” from a few people, which indicates to me that there’s not a clear understanding as to why the rules are so important to us. As a swimmer who follows these pesky "English Channel Rules" in every swim, regardless of the body of water being swum, maybe I can provide some insight into the mentality of most of us on this forum.

I completely understand that the concept of these rules may be foreign to some who are participating in this conversation. I've had to explain the ideas and rules to many people over the years. You guys are definitely normal. It makes sense to me that until you’ve actually swum (or aspire to swim) a channel following English Channel Rules, that some of this might not make a lot of sense.

The thing is, we channel swimmers have to put an awful lot of trust in each other. Not always is someone’s word enough to prove that they did something that they say they did. Before there was the CSA and CS&PF, if someone claimed they had swum the English Channel, how did we know they had done so, legitimately? It makes sense that over time, norms and rules and organizations were put into place so that the swimmer can say “I swam the English Channel” and as a community, we know what that means. There are observers, logs, and usually pictures/videos and GPS tracking.

If you swim a race, the rules are published, so everyone knows what to expect in preparation and from results. Am I racing in the same category as someone in a wetsuit, or are they divided? Are there age groups? What swim suits are allowed/not allowed? How many caps can I wear? Etc.

As a group, for many, many years, rule setting and following has been essential to building trust among members of our community.

When each of us braved our very first channel swim, I can guarantee that we all checked the rules, read the rules, memorized the rules, made sure the rules were read to us and explained in clarity. Double checked the rules. We made sure we had someone to observe and to record their observations. And we do that every time. It’s normal to us- just part of the procedure.

I understand that the avid channel swimmers are maybe a bit rigid and stubborn, but that's just what it takes to do what we do. You don't swim extraordinary distances in extreme conditions and not be particular about the rules. We don’t cheat and we’re honest about our failures. (In fact, sometimes the failures are just as celebrated as the successes.) We want to be able to go to sleep at night, knowing we accomplished something fairly and legitimately. Most of us don’t strive for recognition or publicity. We just want to be able to say “I did something great today” to the few friends who understand what that means.

When something comes along that seems to dilute what we hold dear to our hearts- our personal integrity and the trust we’ve built among our community- I think it makes sense that we get a little feisty.

There may be some obscure rule out there that says my crew can touch me for safety issues. However, I can assure you- If anyone on my crew actually did touch me, for any reason, I would disqualify myself. If I need a light or glow stick adjusted during the swim, I'll do it myself. If I need more sunscreen or lube or desitin smeared on my face during a swim- I'll do it. Throw me what I need and let me take care of myself.

Whether or not there is a rule out there that says it's ok to be touched for safety reasons is irrelevant to me. I’m not going to even go close to it. I’d rather risk a jelly sting or a bad sunburn or chaffing than to have someone question whether or not my swim was assisted. It doesn’t matter if there’s a rule that says I can draft- I’m not going to draft. I’m not going to follow a streamer. I think 99% of people here would agree with me on that point. It may seem weird to someone of you, but that’s how a lot of us feel. Regardless of what a “rule” says, our principles are pretty basic:
    1. Put on your regular textile training swim suit, latex or silicone cap, goggles, and ear plugs.
    2. Enter the water at point A and exit the water at point B.
    3. Don’t touch the boat or another person until you have exited at point B.

Simple.

So, when someone says to me, "Who cares if I put some extra lanolin on your back for you. No one will know." You know what my answer is? “ME. I will know. Don’t touch me.”

And at the end of the day, my integrity is all I have left. My integrity is what allows me to come on this forum, among peers, and allows them to respect me and for me to respect them. We’re all coming from the same place, the same understanding.

When someone comes and claims to be the greatest swimmer of them all or claims to have done something ultra incredible, but can’t back it up with a past relationship of trust or data, observer reports, GPS tracking, etc., well, I think it makes sense we’d get a little curious and start asking questions. It’s not just their integrity; it’s the integrity of our entire community.

Diana Nyad isn’t the first person to be questioned, and I doubt she’ll be the last. Thing is, until she understands the above sentiments, I don't think there's any point in us asking for more clarification. If you don't get it, you don't get it. What else can we do?
    Doc2dockWillMBogdanZ
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @evmo. In the context of DN's swim, what would you consider immediate danger; 1. when jellies are seen by crew or the swimmer (DN), 2. in a known jelly area, 3. after a sting?
    In my opinion, on a solo, nonstop, long-distance open-water swim, an immediate danger to the swimmer is cause to end the swim (DQ) - not to allow it to continue after some unspecified period of time as if it never happened. I realize it doesn't feel fair, because it's not the swimmer's fault, but that's the nature of marathon swimming, and almost all of us accept that.

I understand why NYC Swim has their lightning policy - it doesn't make economic sense to DQ 40 swimmers in one fell swoop.

I guess Phil Rush has his reasons for the Cook Strait shark break, though I haven't discussed them with him.
    @evmo. In the context of DN's swim, what would you consider immediate danger; 1. when jellies are seen by crew or the swimmer (DN), 2. in a known jelly area, 3. after a sting?

My opinion: After the sting, if the swimmer or observer feels their is a threat to the swimmer's health. If first aid beyond what the swimmer can do for themselves is needed, the swim is over.
  • BernieBernie Member
    edited September 2013
    @ Jbirrrd She drank and fed regularly so clearly she must have had other stops between 2 am and 7 am . I think Janet was on board for that full night recording the times. Almost every time they stopped, I was in the water and I know it was many times that night that I dove.

I have been trying to put together some numbers about the swin, but basing that on "regularly" and "must have had" kind of data is making it real hard.

Factual data about that night is critical. If she fed regularly (15 min every hour), If the reported currents are correct and If the GPS data is reliable, she must explain how she got a 50% boost on her previous speed relative to the water.

My numbers may be wrong (that's the reason they are not yet going public), but how should we find out without any reliable data?

It is like Diane got to the moon and back, but she won't show the photos.

• sylmarinosylmarino San FranciscoMember
    @ssthomas - I bow down to thee. Thank you for so eloquently stating to those who seem to question our intent, the importance of rules and the overall integrity of the sport that we all hold dear.
  • edited September 2013
    @ssthomas. I do appreciate the rules and they are very clear as you point out. Given other swims that deviate for safety reason, but still hold the swim. I think the Florida Straight is unknown territory, or at least not as know as the EC. The confusion is there is no set of rules yet for Florida Straight - although I recognize that won't fly with those that have done EC, Catalina, SB under same or very similar rules.

@evmo. Lightening and jellies are two very different things. The swimmer is grounded in water lightening can strike the water a great distance (not sure how far) conduct and electrocute swimmer. Jelly has to come in immediate direct contact. When jellies are seen or in area, I don't think the swimmer has to bail out of the swim even given the amount of time to put on the suit. This is where it can be subjective "when". I haven't found the rules or criteria for the Cook Straight when swimmers have to get out of the water and how long before the swim is called off on shark sightings. It's difficult to put a rule with clean edges around this since every situation can be very different.

@timsroot. What if the first sting is fatal?
  • @ssthomas thank you for that excellent post.

@AngelYanagihara thank you for your wonderful contributions to this discussion.

I'm wondering (if anyone can answer) how Ms. Nyad believes her swim should be recorded for posterity (specific wording)? It certainly must be clear in her own mind, but has she made any statements?
  • I must say I am fascinated by your collective process here. I think I have contributed all I possibly can based on my limited experimce and knowledge. The monolithic EC rules definitely "rule" here. I do hope that no athlete losses his or her life due to this hard position. I will sign off now.
    edited September 2013
    @timsroot. What if the first sting is fatal?

Is it common for stings to be fatal before there is chance to render first aid on the boat?

If the swimmer feels in danger for whatever reason, they should have the good sense to call the swim. It sucks, but I've done it before.

If the swimmer feels that the danger is unavoidable, they should either question the wisdom of swimming there, or have some form of assistance, such as the stinger suit.
This discussion has been closed.