N66 33' (Arctic Circle)

david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
I'm very excited to be in the early planning stages of a sweet-water scandinavian swim that will be well north of the Arctic Circle. There will be sauna! More details to follow as things develop.
Has anyone here done anything at this latitude?

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Tagged:

Comments

• AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    where in Scandinavia? Kiruna maybe? I never traveled that far north when I lived in Sweden but it was a popular thing to do in summer time to enjoy a little day round sunshine.
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Finland.
    Our proposed route is a 20k+ overnight swim from Uruniemi 68.90263,27.066911 to Koppelopetäjäsaari 68° 56' 14.13", +27° 30' 54.39 via 68.938844,27.293472 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukonkivi

A good 300k north of the arctic circle, it will be relatively bright during the brief night.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    barra_finland1.png
    barra_finland2.png
    7870106.jpg
  • AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    ahhh yes... well I'm hopelessly jealous now :)
    Thanks Evan. Thats why you get the big bucks!
    I believe the route will head east after Ukonkivi... perhaps my coordinates were off.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2012
    Map image #2 corrected (I think). Confusion seems to have arisen from the name of the destination... is it possibly Hoikka Petäjäsaari rather than Koppelo...? If so, coordinates are more like [68.883013, 27.543393]. Here's a pic:

39465292.jpg

I am curious how such an epic, far-flung adventure like this comes to be. Do you have Finnish friends? How did you hear of Lake Inari? Great stuff, DB, and thanks for sharing it with us!
    I owe this one to March's TI Open Water camp at Maho Bay. I had a great group to swim with all week, and in attendance were a couple of scandinavians... Tommi and Lennart (Lennart was also at Maho in '09, and came to NY for Little Red Lighthouse. He's swimming Ederle in August)
    Clare and I decided to go north, and our friends were anxious to share their OW with us. Finland first... then Sweden. I think the Finger Lakes will have to wait

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Very jealous...would love to do that swim.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Pining for the Fjords?