Good Luck to Anna Wardley!

ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
edited September 2013 in Cheering Section
I think this is another upcoming swim worthy of its own thread.

Anna Wardley from Hampshire in England will soon be taking on the final island in her Five Island Challenge. And what an island! She is planning to swim around the Isle of Wight later this month (56 miles). I believe that this swim has only been completed three times in history.

I recently visited the Isle of Wight for a short break. It is massive!

I understand that she completed a 13 hour training swim in the sea today.

Anna was my roomie at the Swimtrek Long Distance Training Camp in Gozo in 2012. I wish her the very best of luck with her swim and will be keenly following her.

Comments

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    edited September 2013
    Niek wrote:
    Good luck to Anna.
    Hope she'll get weather than Lucy Roper. September 5th, Lucy got pulled from the water because dense fog made it all unsafe to continue.
    Lucy was attempting the Round Jersey swim - it looks like she will get another go next year.

Bumping this thread because Anna started her Round the Isle of Wight swim this morning a couple of hours ago. Good luck Anna! She is attempting to become the fourth person to swim around the island. Live tracker is here http://yb.tl/fiveislandswim2013

:)
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Go Anna!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Any word from the crew? Looks like she's making fantastic progress on the tracker.

Keep moving forward.

• Her Twitter feed is posting on her homepage http://www.annawardley.com/
    or here: https://twitter.com/annawardley In the water 20 hours now!
    She's ahead of her own schedule and looks to be on the home straight now. Fingers crossed but it's looking very good for her. There appear to have been some tricky points on the swim where they had to move into the really shallow water to avoid the spring tide against her - some clever piloting going on there.

The water temp has been averaging around 18C and she's now coming up on 24 hours.

She has two observers on board, one of whom is none other than the King of the English Channel, Mr Kevin Murphy. Assuming she completes the swim I don't think there will be any questions regarding the authenticity of this swim!

Keep on going Anna!
    Looks like she's practically done!

The tracker makes it look like she's done. Congrats!

• ViveBeneViveBene Member
    edited September 2013
    Anna Wardley ‏@annawardley 1h
    On touching the ladder, Anna swore, and called the experience "horrendous". #RoundIOW

From her Twitter acct.

Congratulations! And she joins the exclusive "24-hour Club" as the 9th British person to have swum 24+ hours!
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Not 100% sure, but I think this is the first successful circumnavigation in several decades.

Keep moving forward.

• Huge respect! Many congratulations to Anna!
  • Wow! Huge congratulations to Anna!
    I was just on the Isle of Wight recently visiting friends after crewing for Bob Needham's first attempt at the English Channel. It took my friends and I an hour to drive from one side of the island to the other. That is one big island. Amazing, Anna! I hope you are enjoying your accomplishment!
    smith wrote:
    Not 100% sure, but I think this is the first successful circumnavigation in several decades.
    That's true, it was last swum in 1984. The three previous successes were by Kevin Murphy, Michael Read and Alison Streeter.

Her unofficial time was 26 hour 33 minutes 28 seconds.

Well done Anna! :)
  • Congrats, Anna! :)