Nutrition / Feeding Mega-Thread

Comments

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    briefly resurrecting this thread..I'm almost out of Maxim and can't remember where I ordered my last batch from because it was so long ago..(shows how little I've been swimming!)

I think it was a place in England
    Where's a good place to order it?
    thanks,
    A
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Maxim became impossible to find last year. Those of us out of stock mostly switched to Vyomax Maxi, which is the same thing in different packaging which now includes the huge 5kg bucket.

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2013
    In the US, Carbo Pro is very easy to find, and I swear to you, is exactly the same stuff as Maxim.
    HollyTrxleakem
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    I just can't bring myself to buy Vyomax because of the ridiculous, testosterone-y branding, the sexist website and their insistence on equating women's nutrition with pink bottles and weight loss products. I'm going to stick with PSP22 (now rebranded as GO) for now.
    Oh groovy, thanks. I'm mostly powered by Metamucil these days,....
    Not a fan of the pink marketing concept either....
    Steak sounds fabulous right now
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    My wife has me on this low carb high protein and fat diet. I intend on swimming a la Webb. Beef broth feedings for me from here on out.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• RonCollinsRonCollins Clearwater, Florida, USAMember
    If you go with 30 minute feeds, you can easily keep track of the time in your head. Drink on the :30, and drink + solids on the hour.

Ron Collins
    Clearwater, Florida
    DistanceMatters.com

• Thought I'd post it here and @loneswimmer can scrape it to put wherever he is collecting these.
    FYI - I am not one of the stud-muffins here. Just a slow, fat, 58 year old.

My schedule is pretty simple:
    1) Night before: 2 capsules of ginger. (I am very prone to motion sickness)
    2) 2-2.5 hours before swim, 1 or 2 PowerBar or Clif PROTEIN (not energy) bars - the idea is to keep blood sugar levels stable & protein is good for that. If I eat any "real" food, it's probably oatmeal w/ raisins; no sugar or milk. Oatmeal is about the longest burning of the complex carbs, plus I like it.
    3) 1 hour before swim: 2 Aleve (I can't do this now because of stomach ulcer issues)
    3) 45 min before swim: 3 ginger capsules.
    4) 10-15 min before swim, 150 calories in 12 oz water.
    2) Starting at 30 min into the swim and then every 30 min thereafter, 150 calories in 12 oz of water.

Current "recipe" for 1 serving of drink: 100 calories pure maltodextrin, 50 calories from a strawberry Clif Shot w/caffeine. (50 cals = 1/2 of a Clif Shot.), 1/2 scoop of Endurolytes (a Hammer Nutrition product). Clif Shots are basically maltodextrin and cane sugar (sucrose) with some electrolytes.

No solids, although I have been known to beg for a small piece of a Snickers bar.

I also have a number of Clif Shots on hand in case I feel like I need more calories, something that seems to happen often after 4-5 hours.

If I am swimming in the ocean, I might have 2 capsules of ginger added at about 3 hours. Fair warning: It burns going down.

BTW, I am convinced that the standard wisdom of a max of 300 calories/hour is wrong and believe that more can be done. I am currently working on a protocall to test this systematically during my training for next year's swims.

-LBJ
    tortuga

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• JenAJenA Charter Member
    My feed strategy is pretty simple: koolaid, with a rotation of gatorade every 4-6 hours. I dilute 50 grams of koolaid (or gatorade) powder into 750 ml of water to give a 6.7% solution (carbohydrate solutions are supposed to absorb best at 6-8%.)

I am for 60 grams of carbohydrate (240 calories) an hour. I usually feed every 30 minutes, but go to more frequent feeds if the volume of liquid (900ml/hr or 30 oz/hr) is making me a bit nauseous.

When nauseas strikes, I take ginger. (I read a study somewhere that said that people undergoing chemotherapy who took ginger for three days before treatment experienced less nausea after chemotherapy. I keep thinking it would be a good idea to have ginger pre-swim, but haven't tried it yet.)

After I've vomited, I have my crew open up some Canada Dry Ginger Ale (it's made from real ginger, though I'm not sure how much). They flatten it out a bit by capping the bottle, then gently shaking, then opening the bottle a couple times. They fill a tiny bottle (like the 1.25 oz GoToob bottles), and toss it to me. I have a tiny sip, and tuck it down my suit, and then try to count off strokes (say, 250) before I stop and have another tiny swig. Doing this for about an hour seems to reset my stomach.

@Leonard_Jansen: In diabetes land, we are taught "The Rule of 15": It takes 15 grams of pure carbohydrate 15 minutes to absorb. (Proteins and fats would slow that down). I'm sure there's individual variation on that, though. I'm comfortable with 60 grams of carbs (240 calories) an hour, and haven't really tried to push it. I know you absorb faster when your blood glucose level is low, and can do some fancy stuff by using fructose (I think?) to enhance absorption, but I think fructose is supposed to cause GI distress when consumed in large quantities.

This may be good reading:

COMBINED EFFECTS OF GLUCOSE AND FRUCTOSE ON FLUID ABSORPTION FROM HYPERTONIC CARBOHYDRATE-ELECTROLYTE BEVERAGES
    http://faculty.css.edu/tboone2/asep/LambertGP08AprilJEP.pdf
    steffie
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    edited September 2013
    I like to keep my feeds pretty simple as well. I don't use solids or gels at all, ever. (Well, I tried one once, and it was nasty....)

In a 24 ounce water bottle, I mix 4 scoops of Carbo Pro (400 calories) with about 1/4 a scoop of unflavored whey protein. I add water and a splash of apple juice for flavor. Mix.

*Note, I used to use only 3 scoops and would get hungry. The addition of the 4th scoop eliminated that entirely. I've also tried Powerade, instead of apple juice, always resulting in stomach issues.

I take a feed every 30 minutes. A 24 ounce bottle typically lasts me 3-4 feeds. (I try for 3 feeds/bottle, but often it takes 4 to get it all down. And sometimes, I can down a whole bottle in one stop...) I'm not real religous about how much liquid I'm consuming- As long as 24 ounces doesn't take me 5 feeds, I know I'm ok. I listen to my body- if I'm hungry, I drink more. If I'm not, I put down as much as I can handle.

In some swims, where I've been hot, I will take a feed and then supplement with straight water. I don't use electrolytes.

I usually pee a little at least every half an hour. If I'm not peeing at least every hour, I increase my water intake.

And when my shoulders hurt, I add infant liquid Advil to my feeds.

On my doubles, at the turnaround, I consumed 32 ounces of water with a powdered Gu Recovery mix. And carrots.
    Bridget
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited September 2013
    Thank you, Thank you. This is very helpful. Keep posting here. I am still trying to figure out what works for my body. 2013 was a pukey year for me. @Leonard_Jansen I too use the ginger caps pre-swim w/ a little candied ginger. Used to think it helped, but this year, not so much. I might try @JenA 's ginger ale during the swim.
    @ssthomas Yes...That liquid Advil is gold for my shoulders. I use high-test children's formula, not infant.
    I don't want to say what doesn't work for me, but I can tell you that I must have my 5 Hr. Energy shots on anything over a 4 hr. swim. Liquid happiness & a legal PED.
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    JBirrrd wrote:
    I say what doesn't work for me, but I can tell you that I must have my 5 Hr. Energy shots on anything over a 4 hr. swim. Liquid happiness & a legal PED.

I may or may not steal that idea for my next long swim...
    As with anything, test it out first on a training swim or two....but you knew that. :)
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    edited September 2013
    Note: I'm slow, so this may not be a strategy for record breaking.

I feed ever 40 mins. The food is always the same: Half apple juice and half water in a 24oz bottle, with three scoops of Vitergo and half a teaspoon of ginger powder in every bottle. I down 1/4 of a bottle every time.

Once, in Portland, I tried solid foods. Only diluted Gatorade on the half hour, a small scoop of mashed potatoes or mashed fruit on the hour. It worked out well calorie-wise, but chewing and swimming are not compatible for me, and the Vitergo/diluted juice strategy works much better.

In Tampa, I started adding liquid Advil from Hour Four, which I think was too late in the game. Given that Tampa ended with a myofascial shoulder injury that kept me out of the water for many weeks, from now on I'll take liquid Advil from the very first feeding (I also tweaked my breathing, which I think was to blame for the shoulder injury, but that's for a different thread).
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    heart wrote:
    In Tampa, I started adding liquid Advil from Hour Four, which I think was too late in the game. Given that Tampa ended with a myofascial shoulder injury that kept me out of the water for many weeks, from now on I'll take liquid Advil from the very first feeding (I also tweaked my breathing, which I think was to blame for the shoulder injury, but that's for a different thread).

Wouldn't the pain killers mask the symptoms? I'm usually hesitant to add pain killers in my feeds.
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    JenA wrote:
    I think fructose is supposed to cause GI distress when consumed in large quantities.

The last time I researched all of this, I came up with the idea that absorption rates have to do with concentration (molality). It all boils down to this: if your GI sees a very low concentration, it will absorb the compounds quickly, otherwise, it will decrease the concentration by adding water. In the case of fructose, you're loading up on small molecules which result in a high molality. Switching to a complex carb like maltodextrin (essentially a long chain of glucose) allows faster absorption and you'll end up with roughly the same energy yield at the end. The GI distress is caused by your body diluting the concentrated mixture with water.

In conclusion: I stick with maltodextrin and away from simple sugars.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

edited September 2013
    @heart, et al: how do you all measure how much liquid meds you take? For Swim the Suck last year I put a full 'serving' of Kid's ibuprofen (I think 30ml) in a 12oz bottle of water mixed with crystal lite. I drank thru that at 2 feeds (I think 2:00 and 2:30 feeds).
    But I was worried of preparing a 2nd bottle. How much can one take? With loss from spillage and time going by, lack of solid food in belly, etc.
    I'll tell you tho, I did need that ibuprofen during StS!

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    Does anyone have any experience altering their feeds to account for cold water? What are easy ways to add some fat and protein to a water bottle that don't involve steak and a blender? I've heard whale blubber is a great way to heat up fast, but try finding that on Amazon...

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

@malinaka, AK Air flights 101 (SEA to ANC) and 152 (ANC to OME), get off the plane, buy whale blubber, then return. ;)

• I like feeding every 30 minutes as well. I mix 300 cals of Malto and cytomax (50% each) and add in 70 mg of caffeine to 24 oz. of water. Half the bottle every 30 minutes and a piece of granola bar on the hour. My purple (on request only) "pain" bottle gets 200 mg of ibuprofen as a little extra.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

My Fellow Sharko et al,

I have been using whey protein powder with my Malto and Cyto for a long time and it has worked well and is easier on the stomach....I have heard that flax seed oil is a good fat to add...I have been drinking it in the morning with my steel cut oats before a big swim....I am thinking I will add to the carbo/whey protein drink and report back....I am a big believer in a large bowl of warm steel cut oats about 1 1/2 hours before the swim as it relases heat and energy early on in the swim...

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

I feed every 30 minutes. Also when I swim
    KatieBun
  • Thanks everyone for their input. Do you ever heat up your liquids? I am trying to get into this sport, obviously have never done a channel swim, but I used Generation Ucan every 30 minutes with 8 oz of water for the SCAR swim (think it ended up being 195 calories/hour took in). Used the raspberry the entire time and suprisingly did not get sick of it, but tomorrow could be a different story.
  • In a recent 6 hour I made up 2x feed, and asked my support to dilute to 1x from a thermos of hot water immediately before drinking. Worked pretty well, but you have to test to make sure it isn't TOO hot before passing to the swimmerl. The warming effect is probably only minimal (300 g fluid in a 100 kg body), and it was 18C in the water, so not cold, but it was nice psychologically.....
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    I have simplified my feeds over time. I now feed every 30 minutes. Liquids only. maltodextrin flavored with a little apple juice. 450 calories/hour (it's a lot, but my system can handle it without any distress). 800mg of ibuprofen when the muscle pain starts slowing me down (usually around 5 or 6 hours in).

I buy the cheapest bulk maltodextrin that will go into solution quickly.
    SydneD
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    I use 1 packet of Gu Roctane powder in 21 oz bottles (240 calories per packet), start feeding after the first hour (I like to get into my "groove" before taking a break) and then every 30 minutes thereafter.

Roctane has a moderate amount of electrolytes in it so in a salt water swim after 5 hours or so I will occasionally do straight water and a regular gu or something else solid like a banana. I really like using Roctane since it makes the mixing really simple (no need to add anything but water) but suspect that for swims over 10 hours I might need to look at something with a lower electrolyte content.

I tried using kids ibuprofen on a couple of swims but not sure it helps that much. I now tend to use shoulder pain as an incentive to concentrate on proper technique.

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

@IronMike, that's a great question. I just go with the dosage on the package. I use infant Advil and add the dosage for adults (I think it was something in the vicinity of 2-3 teaspoons per 4 feeds or so, but am not sure.)

@timsroot, that's certainly a concern. But Advil is not just a pain masker, but also an anti-inflammatory. And so, it actually works to calm an inflammation if one occurs.

I remember reading in the USMS magazine something about someone who took in too much NSAID and ended up almost dying from renal failure. The key is probably to stick to the recommended dosage. And, I hope that with the tweak to my breath and head angle, some of the shoulder peril will go away on its own.
    edited September 2013
    @heart and @timsroot: Advil really is a good anti-infammatory. You can take quite a lot and be ok. I take about 50 mg every 1.5 hours, sometimes 100 mg if I'm in pain. I did the math with my doctor before Tahoe and we realized I could take 100 mg most of the way and still be fine. I think the daily limit is around 1800 mg, if I'm remembering correctly. I prefer a constant, slow drip to stay on top of the pain... seems to work better than waiting for pain and taking a larger dose. (For the record, I didn't take even close to 100 mg every 1.5 hours.)
  • i keep it very simple...

I weigh 90kg so i need between 80 and 90 grams of carbs per hour to maintain good levels of energy over a decent swim (more than 3 hours).

I have a sensitive stomach to gels so i have been testing natural foods, in particular potato. My formula...I blend one cooked medium potato with the skin on (45 grams of carbs) into a puree, add a pinch of ginger powder and 160ml of water. This makes a perfect 300ml drink that i can pop down in 10 seconds every 30 minutes. Tip - don't freeze the puree as it coagulates.

I have been testing this for a while now with zero stomach issues and it seems to work.

As for drinking...750ml per hour for normal days or 1L on hot and or windy days. If i am in an event where i am eating then the food already has 160ml of water added so the remainder (400ml) is sports drink. Toward the end of the race i also have some flat coke...yep sound terrible but as the body starts using its own fat reserves the caffeine assists this process. Plus the sugar is a nice treat.

Don't forget a treating yourself every other hour (you deserve it)...
    steffie
  • Mine is still a work in progress. My longest race is a 10K and my longest training swim is 10 miles (currents and 60 degrees), so it has been developed by those experiences to come up with my first official plan that I'll use for Charleston (12 miles, downstream). A little nervous that something will go wrong with it, but I've never had trouble at any long workouts. Here's what I have so far:

Grits, peanut butter toast, and a banana 2 hrs before.

1/2 orange gatorade and 1/2 water every 30 minutes
    Kona Punch gel every 60 minutes
    full gatorade, cold water, and "breathe easy" warm tea available PRN
    Oatmeal cookie or Clif bar PRN
    Albuterol @ 1 hr before race and @ 3 hrs into race (prevention)

Everyone I swim with likes Maxim but when I tried it last winter, it didn't sit well on my stomach. I've used half gatorade/half water for so many vomit-inducing workouts in college and it always makes me feel good and settles my stomach, so it has crossed over to open water nicely.
    I have severe asthma, so my entire swimming career has been careful planning for my lungs, as well. Gotta include that in my feed plan too.
    I'm also allergic to quite a few foods, including dairy..which is in a lot of prepared bars, etc. It's not that I love Clif bars, but I can eat them and they work.
  • Dawn_TreaderDawn_Treader Member
    edited September 2013
    Last minute stress over the feeding schedule for next EC tide swim. My scrambled thoughts: I seem to be able to digest most sport drinks without trouble-this was put to test in Sandy cove 6 hour swim, when my feeding bag got lost (think it was in @Colm's trunk) and Bryn just handed me whatever he could find. He mainly shared Rainy's stuff with me (unknown to her) and each round of the island I had a different cup with a surprise drink in it. It all worked, but that was just 6 hours. To the maxim fans: I can't find Maxim in Switzerland, and I was too busy to fuss over this, but it works for me too, so maybe I will get lucky and find it in Dover. I don't use hammer (too many electrolytes in the HEED and perpetuem has whey in it, and it now disagrees. So I am staying with Sponsor competition-high in carbs and lower levels of electrolytes. I saw barrels of it in Ned's guest room, so it must not be bad- or maybe it was crap and he threw it in the unused room. I trained with it all season, with no problems. My feeds are simple. 250ml Sponsor, power gel (exchanging with and without caffeine) and 1/4 of a power bar and sometimes jelly babies. I get hungry when I swim a lot.That all said....I never have been past the 8 hour mark, but I never ever felt sick before either. I am throwing into my feed schedule: chicken soup, black tea with a bit of milk, coffee, peaches, after eights, bite size peanut butter and honey sandwiches (if I ask for it and get really hungry) avocados and fresh figs are on board if my stomach asks for something solid, both full of calories and I like them and hey agree with me.
    Any last suggestion or advice before I pack up tomorrow for Dover.

Also how often should I use mouth wash? thx!

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

edited September 2013
    I liked warm green tea when I got sugared out (had enough calories at one point and at the end)...just for the hydration and a little caffine...put a little liquid advil in it at the end of the swim....couldn't chew anything much due to a cold mouth (tried chocolate...didn't melt)...and didn't want to miss the tide trying....maybe warm chocolate would have worked???...

• @dawn_treader I've spoken to several people re mouth wash, and I think all have said not to bother. If you must, use it very very dilute.
    Also I agree with your multi denominational approach to feeds. Whatever gets you through the night is good. Tinned peaches can be welcome, nice and soft with plenty of syrup. I also like Turkish delight, but a lot of people don't.
    However, you should stick to what you've used until now. It's tried and tested and hasn't let you down.
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    I tried warm Perpetuem on a 10K practice swim yesterday and was revolted by it. There's no way that would stay down. I'm going to try warm apple juice next time. And I thought a warm soup made of pureed potatoes and chicken broth sounded good too. Also, I'll try carbo pro. Maybe it's the whey that gives Perpetuem that awful taste when warm. I like it just fine when it's cold.

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

I used mouthwash nearly every feed on my EC swim. It was lovely. I think you should play it by ear and use it when your mouth and throat start to hurt. I must keep my mouth wide open because the salt water gets to me fast.
  • Hi Molly

I am with you. I have used Maxim for over 2 years and really grew to like it. On my Channel swim I hated it warm and in the end my crew stopped adding hot water. Much better... I think if you are used to it cold then have it cold. When I got it warm I did not feel it helped me feel warmer (I just felt like vomiting) To be frank, I was just bloody cold no matter what. The Maxim still got me to France though... Simon
  • It seemed like a dream when the @Lone Swimmer showed up at our trailer at Varne Ridge and when through our gear, replaced it with better gear and came back and stayed for more than an hour giving us advice. I love this place...The Forum. Will stick around awhile. Thank you Lone Swimmer, you are wonderful...P.S. the first feed I got thrown to me straight in the eye.
    steffie

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• I love this thread! It is so important that you try your feed strategy before your focus swim! I learned this lesson the hard way; when I did Boston Light Swim in 2012, my feeds weren't tried beforehand and they made me nauseous; I couldn't even take down the last feed. It wasn't a good time to learn that Clif bars and Gatorade wouldn't work as a nutritional strategy for me.

I have to give a thumbs up to Perpeteum. I know that some people can't take it down, but the proportion and flavoring are incredibly important, as well as the mixing. For mixing, I used a Blender Bottle from GNC; they are _fantastic_ for thoroughly mixing feed. The secret is that there's this springy metal ball in the bottle that mixes the feed as you shake the bottle. Very crucial when you are mixing your feed a bit heavy. Second, read the instructions for proportions and try it out. My feed was three scoops of Perpeteum per serving (normal is 1 scoop for smaller people and 2 scoops for larger people, I forget what the cutoff is right now). I learned that I needed more after trying it and still bonking in the middle of a long training swim. Experimentation is VITAL. Finally, I added OJ into the mix to give it a bit of flavor. That won't work for most people, but for me it was awesome.

I guess what I have to say is that everyone's feed works differently, and in order to find your optimum feed you have to try it. During my Catalina channel swim this summer, I fed every 30 minutes with alternating feeds: the first was my Perpeteum mix and the second was low sodium chicken soup with a mouthwash rinse chaser. I think that it's good to have a changing feed so that you don't get sick of your only nutrition source. I had several people question my choice of chicken soup for a feed, but I'm glad I insisted on it for psychological reasons (even cold chicken soup makes me feel warmer), it was a great source of protein which I do think is really important (at least for me), and the fact that some runners use it in the ultramarathon running world which gave it cred. In the end it worked flawlessly.
    steffie
  • cynswimscynswims Member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks everyone for sharing your feed details!

My longest swims have been 6h in Lake Tahoe (water temp 65-66 deg F). I start with my regular breakfast and a couple ibuprofen tablets beforehand. During the swim I alternated Heed and Perpetuum every 30min, including a dose of liquid ibuprofen ~5 hrs after my first morning dose on land. The powdered drink mixes were mixed with warm water on the boat (thanks, terrific crew!), 1 scoop powder to about 12 oz water. I had a gel (Gu or Hammer, and I try to avoid those that have significant caffeine) each hour. I am 5'3" ~120-125#.

I fed from a large bike bottle on a rope with bright pink floats attached to my motor escort. I seem to be blessed with windy days on that lake. Feeding on a bottle on a rope is tricky in a winds that exceeded 20+mph for some of the swim. I was either getting dragged by the boat if I was upwind from it or I was frighteningly close to it if I was downwind.

Coach's notes say I only got down 2-3 oz on a couple feeds in rough conditions, more typically I got 5-6oz. One says I got 12oz during a long stop but I am skeptical of that. I felt I was a little behind on hydration on the swim I am describing (Though there is a theory that I drank some of the lake too!) I try to balance drinking as much as I can comfortably with keeping feeds short.

How do people feel after a swim? I wanted salt and was vaguely queasy and sugared-out after each of my 6h freshwater swims so I may try to mix in some broth feeds. I don't care for the idea of taking solid food (though in fresh water it might be okay). I haven't felt queasy while swimming, at least.

Since I haven't done really long swims most of my training swims are 10K or shorter. I used the same formula for a 10K race (but no warm water at the feed station :) and it seems perfect for that.

I plan to do a Tahoe length crossing in 2014. Looking forward to getting more practice and learning more here.
  • gtswimgtswim PennsylvaniaMember
    This is all great inforamation for someone new to marathon swimming.

A follow up question, and it may be personal preference to some degree, but at what distance or swim time do you need to consider a feeding plan? I swam a 5k this summer, with no feedings, finished strong and in a time just under 1hr17 min. I did eat a banana and watermelon and was plenty hydrated before the swim. I'm doing a 4.4 mile in June and expect to finish under 2 hours. Should I be concerned with feedings or will a similar game plan of eating and hydrating befor the swim be ok?
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    I used to swim through the 4.4 mile GCBBS without feeds. You'll be fine, but starving at the finish. They usually have good food at the finish.
    If the swim is tough one due to unforseen conditions, even though you had a big bowl of steel cut oats and hydrated with carbo drinks before, you may find it beneficial to feed...you may want to tuck a couple of goos in you speedo..can put in a small bagee so they don't float away....good insurance after an hour or so....
    steffie

@ gtswim GCBS?? I thought they weren't pulling names for the lottery until January, or do you have early bird status? Doubt you will want to stop for a feed but Sharko's right. Never a bad idea to have a gel pack in your suit for insurance.
  • Mike_GemelliMike_Gemelli Rutherford, NJMember
    For
    gregoc wrote:
    I used to swim through the 4.4 mile GCBBS without feeds. You'll be fine, but starving at the finish. They usually have good food at the finish.

I did the GCBBS a few years back and a support boat offered me a cheeseburger about half way through the race, so I ate it...FWIW it was one of my worst races ever.
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    One thing is make sure you eat enough. I used the same equation for EC as I did for Catalina, but the colder water increased my caloric needs. I didn't adjust properly and ran out of steam after 14+ hours. I also started to get cold and I think that also had to do with not eating enough as well.
  • gtswimgtswim PennsylvaniaMember
    @JBirrrd Yes, early bird. I didn't want to take any chances with the lottery and wanted to do the swim by or at age 45.

I'm thinking I should be ok without feeding and it seems from the comments I will. Maybe I'll tuck a gel in my suit just in case.

@Mike_Gemelli There is no way I could eat a cheeseburger in the middle of a swim.
    Good for you then @gtswim. :-) I will be at the finish cheering on my friends. As you probably know, it's a big event in MD. It will be fun for you to be a part of the excitement. I don't know your level of experience, but don't worry about the feeds. Shouldn't be an issue at all. All the best with your training!
    bump. I'm researching now for a potential long swim next year, so thought I'd bring this back up to the top.

@holte2f, I use Vitargo and am very happy with it.