Haydn's English Channel Swim "The Undone Way" is revealed.

HaydnHaydn Member
edited June 2015 in Cheering Section
Haydns' English Channel swim "The Undone Way" is revealed. Starts 12 September at High Noon.

http://www.haydnwelch.co.uk/previous-swims/english-channel-the-undone-way
Tagged:

Comments

• sylmarinosylmarino San FranciscoMember
    I love the graphic!!!
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    Cool! There are so many points to swim between on this planet; this is fantastic. Good luck!

Also, love how you've pushed your work and play into the same website. Is the Gleitze/Rolex/Channel similarity lost on anyone here?

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• Best of luck Haydn! Will be watching the tracker. Enjoy yourself now.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @Haydn, good luck brother.

For those of us on tiny iPods who need their reading glasses but can't find them, can you explain the site you're taking off from? North of Dover?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Correct me if Google Maps has led me astray, but Dungeness is the pointy bit to the southwest. So his course would be more of a west to east route than the traditonal "done way".

Thanks malinaka. I just can't see sh!t on this tiny screen.

• Bet of luck, Haydn! We're pulling for you.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    What a great undertaking, Haydn!
  • He is currently about 8 km (in a straight line) from where he started. With the tide, of course, it is a greater distance. It looks like he has been in the water 4 hours.

Go Haydn!

For some reason, I got a kick out of this sentence in the description of the boat:
    "The boat, based in Folkestone, is fitted with a gas cooker for tea plus facilities for making sausages/bacon."

-LBJ

• Hmmm - If I am interpreting this correctly, I think that Haydn must have been pulled out because the boat seems to be heading back to its home port.

-LBJ

• I am afraid my Channel swim did not turn out at all well. I will write a blog when I have gathered my thoughts in a day or so. The undone way remains undone. Please somebody plan to try it next year.
    Thanks for letting us know. Glad your well. We look forward to hearing about your experience.

Was your swim outside the normal sanctioning of CSA/CS&PF? Hypothetically, would one need to sign up with them and go through their process to attempt what you attempted?

• I swam with the CSA . There were no additional obstacles that I was made aware of. I guess even the coastguards had no worries. And right now, i have been woken up by what sounds like a gale blowing , it's just gone 4 in the morning and I am warm in my bed at Varne Ridge. I could be battling the weather by now 5 miles off the Cap. Instead I am safe, warm, rested and starving hungry. And don't expect to make up another Maxim feed for six months. Oh, and can't wait to get rid of this blubber.
  • Bad luck Haydn. I was thinking of your attempt all through yesterday. Maybe next time eh?
    Good effort, brother.

• Woke up this morning and the sky is Blue. Kind of fancy doing a Channel swim. I am on the mend.
  • Hayden Good Luck on your next attempt, in your bed doesn't really count, I don't envy your waiting.
    Leonore
  • Hayden you might be looking for Greta Anderson who made a crossing the same year I did.
  • It was Mary Margaret Revell tried it in 1964.
    Anyone know of her today?
  • Now my Channel swimming friends have had their swims. I have put my thoughts to paper. It was therapeutic. http://www.haydnwelch.co.uk/previous-swims/english-channel-the-undone-way/
  • ill have a peak when I don't have to sit in the cold chair in front of David¨s door ;)

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• jvjjvj Charlotte, NCMember
    Haydn wrote:
    It was Mary Margaret Revell tried it in 1964.
    Anyone know of her today?

I believe she lives in Centreville, Maryland and is a local historian. She has quite a few articles published under the name Mary Margaret Revell Goodwin including the one linked below from 2008 that details her childhood and how she started swimming. It recounts her travels around the world swimming different straits and bodies of water and what she encountered both in and out of the water. If you google her articles some of them have contact info but don't know if any are current.

http://people.bakersfield.com/home/ViewPost/77408