My Rules

JamieJamie Member
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
I have decided to use this forum to post the rules I have created for my next swim. I do this to be clear on how I will attempt this swim and if completed to set the standards for those coming after me. If there any questions or concerns I would like to address them now. In the event there are changes or additions to these rules they shall be made clear prior to the swim and made public.

1.I will enter the water on dry land under my own power.
2.I will wear 1 porous jammer suit. (sorry I look funny in a speedo)
3.I will wear 1 cap.
4.I will wear 1 pair of goggles.
5.I will have allow support kayaks in the water with me at all times.
6.I will have two independent observers (due to length of swim) rotating on a schedule that they choose. The shall be trained in the art of observing open water swims understand the rules of my swim. They will have the authority to call the swim if an infraction is done. Their sole responsibility is to observe. They may not assist the swim in any way.
7.I will allow support swimmers throughout my swim. These support swimmers must swim abeam or behind me.
8.No person may purposely touch me for the entire swim.
9.I will not hold on to any support boat or apparatus attached to support boats from start to finish.
10.I will not utilize any un-natural forward motion including drafting off any support vessel (behind or on bow wake.
11.I will allow the support team to hand me any requested items in a method that does not aid in resting or forward progress. This includes nutrition, sun block and lube. I will apply these items myself.
12.At no time will I nor my crew purposely litter. If accidental littering occurs we will make every effort to remedy the situation.
13.In the event animals are present they shall be treated with respect.
14.GPS tracking will be available online including data points.
15.Live observer report will be available throughout the swim to include stroke rate, gps location, feedings, water temp, air temp, wind speed/direction, current and swimmer condition (1-10)
16.The decision to end the swim shall come from me, the doctor on board, my wife or the observers.
17.At the end of the swim I will exit the water under my own power and shall pass the farthest water line.
18.The official length of the swim shall be the closes straight line to the finish, not the actual distance swam.
19.The official time of the swim shall stop upon fully clearing the water.
20.At no time during the swim shall Debbie Lopker be able to change outfits or do her makeup.

With love and respect - Jamie
Tagged:

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    And back with love and respect to you!

loneswimmer.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Where are you swimming, or are you keeping that secret? (Or did I miss it in another thread?)

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• @ironmike I have not announced it yet. Trying to get it all put together before I do so. Cheers - jamie
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Roger. Good luck.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• JenAJenA Charter Member
    I *LOVE* this idea of pre-set rules and ensuring those who follow you can replicate your (controllable) conditions. Good job!
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    I love it! This reads like The Swimmer's Daily Affirmations. Say these every morning when you wake up.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.