Sharks in the EC? Are you kidding me?

molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
edited October 2013 in General Discussion

Comments

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Don't worry about a littler blue shark...they are our friends!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Blue sharks are all over the UK & Irish coasts, and very shy. I know they are there, but have never seen one.
    Copelj26

loneswimmer.com

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    Yes, there are sharks in the English Channel. http://www.sharktrust.org/en/british_sharks is a lot more informative and factual than an exaggerated media article and states that there have only been two unprovoked shark attacks in English waters since 1847, neither of which was fatal. There have been many thousands of EC attempts and I haven’t heard of any attacks on swimmers during attempts. There are also a number of sea swim events organised in the South of England every year with hundreds of participants and as far as I know no-one has been eaten or nibbled!

The pictures in the article were taken off Falmouth which is in Cornwall on the far west of the English Channel where it borders the Atlantic. Dover is around 400 miles to the east where the English Channel borders the North Sea.
    Paul_Rollason
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    Thanks for the input. I wasn't really concerned - just thought it interesting and a bit humorous. Even sharks have more sense than to swim the channel.

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• Paul_RollasonPaul_Rollason Falmouth, CornwallMember

I live in Falmoth and there has always been a shark fishing industry here taking tourists out to bother the marine weldlife.
    I have been in the water with basking sharks a few times whilst snorkling as a kid and you can dive with blue sharks a few miles down the coast.
    Paul