MSF Documented Swim
Lake Pend Oreille
20 hours, 25 minutes
Observed & Documented by Andrew Malinak
Originally published at andrewswims.com, website of observer Andrew Malinak.
- Name: Elaine K. Howley
- Age on swim date: 36
- Nationality: United States
- Resides in: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA.
- Previous marathon swims: English Channel, Catalina Channel, Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, two-way Boston Light Swim (record), Lake Memphremagog lengthwise, Lake George lengthwise, IISA-certified Ice Mile.
- Body of Water: Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho
- Route: South-to-North lengthwise crossing, Buttonhook Bay to Sandpoint.
- Shortest Swimmable Route Distance: 32.3 statute miles
- Start Time/Date: July 30, 2014, 7:50pm local (Mountain Daylight)
- Finish Time/Date: July 31, 2014, 4:15pm local
- Swim Duration: 20 hours, 25 minutes, 55 seconds
- Start: NE end of Buttonhook Bay, Farragut State Park, ID. N47 57.202, W116 34.608
- Finish: Sandpoint City Beach, Sandpoint, ID. N48 16.313, W116 32.354
- Intermediate Route Markers: Cape Horn, Granite Point, Picard Point, Anderson Point, Contest Point
Due to the shape of the lake, the swim plan was the shortest swimmable route between Buttonhook Bay and Sandpoint. The swim distance was calculated by summing the straight-line segments between the start, intermediate waypoints, and the finish. See illustration below:
Summary of Weather Observations
- Air temperature: mid-60s to low-70s (F).
- Water temperature: high-60s to low-70s (F).
- Winds: glassy to 5-7kt (NE).
- Skies: full sun.
First solo lengthwise crossing of Lake Pend Oreille.
- Pilot: Val Kasper
- Vessel: Seabiscuit (46’ houseboat)
- Crew: Mark Howley (chief), Sunny Blende (nutrition)
- Kayak: Randy Hickson
- Others: Eric Ridgway (organizer), Bruce & Chris Usher (2nd boat), Scott Rulander (video), Jackie Kasper, Duke (poodle)
- Observer: Andrew Malinak
Rules and Conduct
- Swim Category: Unassisted marathon swim
- Swim Rules: MSF Standard
- Standard Equipment: standard swimsuit, silicone cap, goggles, simple wristwatch
- Additional Equipment: none
- Exceptions to Standard Rules: none
- Feeding: UCAN every 45 minutes, solids as needed.
- Timing: Dual stopwatch with iPhone stopwatch backup.
- Raw GPS Data: kmz, gpx, txt
- Waypoint files (gpx): July 30, July 31
- Waypoint files (txt): July 30, July 31
Link to Full Report (PDF)
Observer Narrative Report
- Observing Elaine (andrewswims.com)