Patti Bauernfeind - Monterey Bay
Twin Lakes Beach, Santa Cruz to San Carlos Beach, Monterey
13 hours, 0 minutes on August 26, 2014
Observed and documented by Michelle Macy
- Name: Patti Bauernfeind
- Age: 47
- Resides in: Dublin, California
Solo crossing of Monterey Bay (California) from Santa Cruz to Monterey.
- Date: August 26, 2014
- Start: 3:53:30 (Pacific Daylight).
- Finish: 16:53:30
- Swim Duration: 13 hours, 0 minutes.
- Start: Twin Lakes State Beach, Santa Cruz (36.961968 N, -122.000672 W).
- Finish: San Carlos Beach, Monterey (36.609681 N, -121.895039 W).
- Straight-Line Distance: 25.06 statute miles (40.33 km).
Second known unassisted solo Monterey Bay crossing, after Cindy Cleveland in 1980.
- Pilots: Dave Todd, Randy Harris
- Vessel: Silver Prince (Monterey, Calif.)
- Paddlers: Erin Stone, Earle Conklin, Larry Baeder, Michael Heffernan
- Crew: Kim Rutherford, Leann Harvey, Joseph Locke
- Observer: Michelle Macy
Rules & Conduct
Swim Category: Unassisted marathon swim
Feeds: Alternating among Hammer Perpetuem, Nuun + amino acid, and solid rice protein mix. Occasional mouthwash rinse.
Recorded on Garmin Forerunner worn by kayaker Erin Stone.
Summary of Weather Observations
Refer to Observer Log for further detail.
Wind: Beaufort Force 1 (early) to Force 3 (afternoon)
Water Temperature: 62F at start to 65F at finish.
Air Temperature: 60F at start to 70F at finish.
Swells: From flat to 2-4 feet.
Skies: Full sun.
Written and submitted by Michelle Macy.
Link to full report (7-page PDF)