MSF Documented Swim
August 26, 2014
13 hours, 0 minutes
Observed & Documented by Michelle Macy
- Name: Patti Bauernfeind
- Age: 47
- Resides in: Dublin, California
Solo crossing of Monterey Bay (California) from Santa Cruz to Monterey.
- Date: August 26, 2014
- Start: 3:53:30 (Pacific Daylight).
- Finish: 16:53:30
- Swim Duration: 13 hours, 0 minutes.
- Start: Twin Lakes State Beach, Santa Cruz (36.961968 N, -122.000672 W).
- Finish: San Carlos Beach, Monterey (36.609681 N, -121.895039 W).
- Straight-Line Distance: 25.06 statute miles (40.33 km).
Second known unassisted solo Monterey Bay crossing, after Cindy Cleveland in 1980.
- Pilots: Dave Todd, Randy Harris
- Vessel: Silver Prince (Monterey, Calif.)
- Paddlers: Erin Stone, Earle Conklin, Larry Baeder, Michael Heffernan
- Crew: Kim Rutherford, Leann Harvey, Joseph Locke
- Observer: Michelle Macy
Rules & Conduct
Swim Category: Unassisted marathon swim
Feeds: Alternating among Hammer Perpetuem, Nuun + amino acid, and solid rice protein mix. Occasional mouthwash rinse.
Recorded on Garmin Forerunner worn by kayaker Erin Stone.
<iframe src=”track.html” width=”100%” height=”600” frameborder=0></iframe>
Summary of Weather Observations
Refer to Observer Log for further detail.
Wind: Beaufort Force 1 (early) to Force 3 (afternoon)
Water Temperature: 62F at start to 65F at finish.
Air Temperature: 60F at start to 70F at finish.
Swells: From flat to 2-4 feet.
Skies: Full sun.
Written and submitted by Michelle Macy.
Link to full report (7-page PDF)