MSF Documented Swim
- Name: Grant Wentworth
- Age on swim date: 28
- Nationality: United States
- Escort Vessels & Pilots
- 25ft Boston Whaler Guardian, piloted by John Boreland.
- 35ft custom Scopinich, piloted by Tom Harty.
- Navigator: Ron Kramer
- Observer: Paul McQueeney
- Coach: Chloe McCardel
- Kayakers: Mark Wentworth, Matt Evans, Brian Ebke, Scott Arcenas.
- Shark Divers: Andy Olday, Blake Knowles, Chris Jankins.
- Other Crew: Janel Jorgenson McArdle.
Crossing of Nantucket Sound from Cape Cod to Nantucket Island.
- Start: Point Gammon, Great Island, West Yarmouth (Cape Cod)
- Finish: Great Point (Nantucket)
- Certified Route Distance: 18.6 miles (29.9 km).
Second-ever swim of Nantucket Sound, after Paul Asmuth (1986). First swim in this direction (Cape Cod to Nantucket).
MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Start: July 24, 2015, 04:25:12.
- Finish: July 24, 2015. 16:26:06.
- Elapsed: 12 hours, 0 minutes, 54 seconds.
Summary of Conditions
- Sea Temp: 70F (min) - 74F (max).
- Air Temp:
- Wind Speed:
Hourly trackpoints. Download raw data (CSV).
Download PDF (5.8 MB)
Note: the official (straight-line) route distance is 18.6 miles, not 25 as stated in the video.
The flotilla, approaching Great Point.
Flotilla approaching the finish, as seen from Great Point Light. Photo by Nicole Harnishfeger.
Grant heading into the beach with kayakers. Photo courtesy of Nantucket Hospital.
Grant exiting the water at Great Point. Photo courtesy of N Magazine.
Grant on the beach after finish. Photo courtesy of Nantucket Hospital.
Other Supporting Data
- Operations Manual (prepared by navigator Ron Kramer) - includes information on local tides and currents.
- Pre-Swim Summary Document
- Nantucket Magazine: Sound Swimmer
Selected Swim Resume
- 2014 English Channel Relay.
- 26.5k Long Pond Swim in Mount Desert, ME. 16.5k
- Nantucket Harbor Swim.
- 3x Town of Nantucket - Wauwinet 10k.
- 3x Alcatraz Swims.
- Swim Across America Boston Harbor Swim. 1.5 mile
- Bill Reeve Echo Lake Swim.
- 1-mile Swim Across America Nantucket.
- 1-mile Hudson River Swim for Life.
- 1k NYCSWIM Brooklyn Bridge Swim.