MSF Documented Swim
Point Loma to Imperial Beach
9.0 miles (14.5 km)
May 22, 2016
4 hours, 59 minutes
Observed & Documented by Cherié Edborg
- Name: Scott Zornig
- Age on swim date: 56
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: Coto de Caza, California
- LongSwimsDB profile
- Escort Boat: Le Zurich
- Pilot: Brandon Bolic
- Observer: Cherié Edborg
- Crew: Lynn Kubasek (videographer), Rachelle Petrucci (support swimmer).
The swim started from a small beach under the east-facing cliffs of Point Loma (dry feet), east of the Zuniga Jetty. Since the boat captain was concerned about the swim leaving from military land which we did not have permission to use, he remained 200 meters off shore while I quietly swam to shore, navigated some sharp, submerged rocks, exited the water for a few seconds to achieve a dry foot start, and then began the swim. The route went just south of the end of the Zuniga Jetty. The swim finished south of the Imperial Beach pier and Imperial Beach Blvd on the sand (dry feet) for a total straight line distance of 9.0 statute miles. The escort boat remained approximately 350 meters off shore at the finish. Since there were strong currents during the swim, we were pushed to land and “hugged” the curvature of the San Diego coastline. The actual distance covered was closer to 10.5 miles.
The original plan was to finish the swim closer to the U.S./Mexico border, but due to the clarity of the water and the impending Tijuana River (and because I was tired), I cut the swim short.
- Start: Beach below east facing cliffs of Point Loma (32.665898, -117.239849)
- Finish: Beach south of Imperial Beach Blvd (32.575271, -117.132966)
- Route Distance: 9.0 miles (14.5 km).
This was the first known swim from Point Loma to Imperial Beach.
- Start: May 22, 2016, 07:59:20.
- Finish: May 22, 2016, 12:58:45.
- Elapsed: 4 hours, 59 minutes, 25 seconds.
Summary of Conditions
- Sea Temp: 64F.
- Air Temp: 62-67F.
- Wind Speed: Mostly light winds, some chop in late morning.
GU and Perpetuem, every 30 minutes.
5-minute trackpoint interval. Download raw data (CSV).
<iframe src=”map.html” width=”100%” height=”450” frameborder=0></iframe>
by Lynn Kubasek