2017 Global Marathon Swimming Awards
The MSF Global Marathon Swimming Awards, now in their sixth year, recognize the most outstanding achievements and contributions in solo marathon swimming. The awards are nominated and voted by members of the Marathon Swimmers Forum, the world’s largest independent online community of marathon swimmers.
Solo Swim of the Year
104.6-mile (168.3 km) swim in Lake Champlain (New York/Vermont, USA). Gardiner Island loop from Rouses Point, NY. Independent swim ratified by MSF.
Barra Award for Most Prolific Year
2017 marathon swims: SCAR (all 4 stages), 8 Bridges (all 7 stages), Kingdom Swim Border Buster 25K, Rose Pitonof Swim, Lake George 10K, Bender Memorial Swim, 3 Rivers Marathon Swim, Swim Around Charleston, Bermuda Round-the-Sound.
Photo of Abby with her kayaker for many of these swims, Alex Arévalo.
2017 marathon swims: SCAR (all 4 stages), 8 Bridges (all 7 stages), Chattanooga Swim Festival, Kingdom Swim Border Buster 25K, Swim to the Moon, 3 Rivers Marathon Swim, Swim the Suck.
Photo by Devon Clifford
Streeter Award for Service to Marathon Swimming
Photo by Cathy Delneo
Yudovin Award for Most Adventurous Swim
First unassisted swim of the length of Lago Maggiore.
Tenero-Contra, Switzerland to Sesto Calende, Italy. 37 miles (59.6 km) in 24 hours, 2 minutes. Independent swim ratified by MSF.
Photo by Arik Thormahlen
- Daniel Abel - Around Rarotonga Island
- Caroline Block - North Channel two-way attempt
- Catherine Breed - Lake Tahoe record
- Sarah Thomas - Lake Champlain
- Tom Linthicum and Dave Van Mouwerik (Lake Tahoe Marathon Swimming Federation)
- Andrew Malinak (Northwest Open Water Swimming Association)
- Greg O’Connor and Elaine Kornbau Howley (Massachusetts Open Water Swimming Association)
- Mark Sheridan (British Long Distance Swimming Association)
- Scott Zornig (Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association)