Cathy Delneo - Round Trip Angel Island
Aquatic Park, clockwise around Angel Island, return to Aquatic Park
10 miles (16 km)
6 hours, 10 minutes on 30 August 2013
Observed and documented by Evan Morrison
First woman to complete RT Angel Island
- Name: Cathy Delneo
- Age on swim date: 37
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: San Francisco, California, USA
- Paul Saab - pilot of SERC inflatable Big Red
- Evan Morrison - crew / documenter
Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
Rules: Equivalent to standard MSF Rules for unassisted swims (though MSF Rules did not yet exist in 2013).
Start @ SERC/Dolphin beach in Aquatic Park, exit through Aquatic Park opening, to west Angel Island, clockwise around Angel Island, return to SERC/Dolphin beach via Aquatic Park opening.
- Route Distance: 10.0 statute miles (16.1 km)
- Route Type: island loop
- Start & Finish Location: Beach between South End Rowing Club and Dolphin Club docks, Aquatic Park, San Francisco (37°48’29.3”N 122°25’17.1”W)
Prior to 2013, records of successful Round-Trip Angel Island swims had not been systematically maintained, and existed primarily as brief narrative reports archived in the SERC email listserv. At the time, four people were understood to have done it (unassisted or otherwise): Rick Barthels (1995), Tom Linthicum (2009), Mike Tzortzis (2009), and Hendrik Meerman (2011).
In the weeks leading up to Cathy’s attempt, we talked to a few of our neighbors at the Dolphin Club. Suzanne Heim-Bowen has done a number of remarkable swims in the Bay over the years, and we figured if anyone over there had done it, it would be her. However, we confirmed that she had not.
Cathy is the first woman to complete the swim.
- Start: August 30, 2013, 04:10am.
- Finish: August 30, 2013, 10:20am.
- Elapsed: 6 hours, 10 minutes
Summary of Conditions
Trackpoint frequency: 5 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
NYC Swim log used, as this was a qualifying swim for the 2014 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim.
Station FTPC1 - Fort Point, San Francisco, CA