Pablo Fernández Álvarez - Senegal to Gambia
10 miles (16.1 km)
9 hours, 54 minutes on 30 December 2017
Observed and documented by Arfang Y. Jobe
First documented swim between Senegal and Gambia
- Name: Pablo Fernández Álvarez
- Age on swim date: 37
- Nationality: Spain
- Resides: Madrid, Spain
- Previous documented marathon swims: Strait of Gibraltar (neoprene), 13 September 2017, 4 hr 59 min.
- Pilots: Sarjo Demba (captain), Ousman Njie (pilot), Modou Jarju (co-pilot)
- Escort boat: Gambian Navy high-speed boat (Banjul, Gambia)
- Observer: Arfang Y. Jobe (Technical Director, Gambia Swimming Association)
- Assistant observer: Habiballah Jeng
- Other crew:
- Abba Nyassi (commander)
- Alex Ndepky (engineer)
- Baboucarr Jobe (crew)
- Alhagie Manka (cameraman)
Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, with exception of Garmin GPS watch worn by swimmer.
Please note: from 2018 forward, we will not ratify swims where the swimmer is wearing a GPS-capable watch.
- Start Location: Plage d’Or, Senegal
- Finish Location: Banjul, Gambia
- Route Distance: 16.1 km (10.0 miles)
- Route Type: one-way
No known previous swims of this route.
- Start: December 30, 2017, 07:22 UTC.
- Finish: December 30, 2017, 17:16 UTC.
- Elapsed: 9 hours, 54 minutes
Summary of Conditions
|Wind||6 knots||11 knots (SW)|
Each hour: 1 gel, 1 bottle water (500 ml), 1 fruit bar.
Download raw data (CSV).
- The Point: Pablo Fernandez becomes the first person in the world to swim from Senegal to Gambia
- Gambia Sports: Pablo Fernandez becomes the first person in the world to swim from Senegal to Gambia
- El Mundo: Pablo Fernández, el niño prodigio de Carabanchel que nada desde Senegal a Gambia para donar 12.500€
- Vanguardia de Sevilla: El español Pablo Fernández primera persona en el mundo en nadar entre Senegal y Gambia
- El Periodico: Un español marca un hito al cruzar a nado el estrecho Gambia-Senegal
- RTVE: El canto del grillo - A contracorriente por la solidaridad