Sherri Mason - Lake Chautauqua
Lakeside Park to Lucille Ball Memorial Park
14.75 miles (23.7 km)
10 hours, 37 minutes on 19 June 2017
Observed and documented by Cindy Nelson. Co-ratified with Lake Erie Open Water Swimming Association
First known lengthwise swim of Lake Chautauqua
- Name: Sherri (“Sam”) Mason
- Age on swim date: 44
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: Fredonia, New York
- Escort Boat: Colbolt 220S (Mayville Park boat launch)
- Pilot: Chris Tobbe
- Observer: Cindy Nelson
- Paddlers: Jeff Bloodworth, Jeremy Wodson
- Crew/Feeder: David Akin
Lengthwise crossing of Lake Chautauqua, from Lakeside Park, Mayville, NY to Lucille Ball Memorial Park, Celoron, NY.
- Start: Beach in front of Carlson Community Center at Lakeside Park, Mayville, NY (42.241546, -79.494480).
- Finish: Northwest corner of Lucille Ball Memorial Park (42.111403, -79.282720).
- Certified Route Distance: 14.75 miles (23.7 km). Actual swim path slightly longer due to near-shore weeds. See GPS track below.
MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, unmodified.
- Start: June 19, 2017, 06:02 EDT.
- Finish: June 19, 2017, 16:39 EDT.
- Elapsed: 10 hours, 37 minutes, 44 seconds
Summary of Conditions
- Water Temp: 77F (min) - 84F (max)
- Air Temp: 66F (min) - 81F (max)
- Wind Speed: Calm to 10 mph, NW
- Wave Height: 0.5-1 feet
- Skies: Overcast, mostly cloudy variable winds
Sun and Moon
- Sun Direction: ↑ 83.79° E
- Sun Altitude: 32.62°
- Sunrise Today: 5:34 am↑ 59° Northeast
- Sunset Today: 8:17 pm↑ 301° Northwest
- Length of Daylight: 14 hours, 42 minutes
- Moon Direction: ↑ 176.13° S
- Moon Altitude: 57.97°
- Next Moonset: Today3:16 pm
- Current Moon Phase: Waning Crescent
- Illumination: 27.7%
Route line in white. 30-minute trackpoints in orange. Track total: 15.54 miles.
- GPS: SPOT GPX, CSV
- Route waypoints (CSV)
- 1 large Nalgene bottle: premade fruit smoothie (bananas, berries, oatmeal soy milk)
- #2 KIND Bar PB flavor
Click to enlarge.