Scott Connelly - Lake James
Catawba River to Linville River
24.2 km (15.0 miles)
9 hours, 9 minutes on 20 July 2020
Observed and documented by Julie Connelly
First documented Lake James length swim.
- Name: Scott Connelly
- Gender: male
- Age on swim date: 21
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: Concord, North Carolina
- Chris Connelly - pilot
- Julie Connelly - observer
- Robert Connelly - lifeguard, feeder
- Richard Faulkner - first mate
- David Ricketts - captain (secondary boat)
- John Faulkner - photographer (secondary boat)
- Mark Groeninger - photographer (secondary boat)
Escort Vessel: pontoon boat (Marion Lake Club)
- Former USA Swimming administrative official.
- Competitive swim coach for 15 years.
- CPR, AED, and First Aid certified.
- Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
- Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Equipment used: Swimsuit, swim cap, Desitin (sunblock).
- Body of Water: Lake James
- Route Type: one-way
- Start Location: Lake James Landing boat ramp, near Catawba River mouth (35.729685, -81.981623)
- Finish Location: Boat ramp at NC Hwy 126, near Linville River mouth (35.792884, -81.869078)
- Minimum Route Distance: 24.2 km (15.0 miles)
No known previous swims of this route.
- Start: 20 July 2020, 06:25:45 (Eastern Daylight (America/New_York, UTC-4)).
- Finish: 20 July 2020, 15:35:20
- Elapsed: 9 hours, 9 minutes, 35 seconds.
Summary of Conditions
|Water Temp (F)||75||89|
|Air Temp (F)||70||101|
Trackpoint frequency: 15 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
Nutrition: Every 30 minutes - water, Gatorade, occasional Clif bars, Kind bars, Twix.
See Morganton News-Herald article below, under Media section.
Click to enlarge.
Morganton News-Herald, August 3, 2020.