Natalie Merrow - Long Beach Oil Islands
Around Long Beach Oil Islands
10.7 km (6.6 miles)
3 hours, 40 minutes on 26 June 2021
Observed and documented by Cherie Edborg
- Support Personnel
- Swim Parameters
- Swim Data & GPS
- Observer Log
- Swimmer Statement
- Name: Natalie Merrow
- Gender: female
- Age on swim date: 41
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: Aliso Viejo, California
- Tim Driskell - boat pilot
- Amber Theders - pace swimmer
- Wendy Theders - kayaker
- Julie Flanagan - kayaker
Swim resume (LongSwimsDB). SBCSA board member. SBCSA and CCSF official observer.
|Beyond the Shore||Boston Whaler||Long Beach|
- Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
- Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Equipment used: Textile swimsuit (Jolyn one-piece Jackson tieback), silicone cap, Speedo Vanquisher goggles, Bag Balm grease.
From west end of Alamitos Beach, in a clockwise loop around the four oil islands, returning to same location on Alamitos Beach. North of Island White, north and west of Island Chaffee, south of Island Freeman, south and west of Island Grissom.
- Body of Water: East San Pedro Bay (inside breakwater), Pacific Ocean.
- Route Type: multi-island loop
- Start and Finish Location: West end of Alamitos Beach (east of Shoreline Marina). (33.762382, -118.180994)
- Minimum Route Distance: 10.7 km (6.6 miles) (map)
No known previous swims of this route.
Also see: Wikipedia article on THUMS Islands.
- Start: 26 June 2021, 06:01:00 (Pacific Daylight, America/Los_Angeles, UTC-7).
- Finish: 26 June 2021, 09:41:34
- Elapsed: 3 hours, 40 minutes, 34 seconds.
Summary of Conditions
|Water Temp (F)||66||68|
|Air Temp (F)||62||76|
Trackpoint frequency: 5 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
Nutrition: Tailwind chocolate, every 30 min.
I grew up in Long Beach and wanted to do the first documented swim around these four islands that I grew up looking at.
See: History of Long Beach Oil Islands (Curbed LA)
Click to enlarge.