Claire Leighton - Bristol Channel (Glenthorne - Porthcawl)
England (Glenthorne) to Wales
21.6 km (13.4 miles)
9 hours, 13 minutes on 30 June 2021
Observed and documented by Geth Jones
- Name: Claire Leighton
- Gender: female
- Age on swim date: 49
- Nationality: British
- Resides: Ripley, Woking, Surrey, UK
- Adrian Leighton - crew
- Alex Carr - crew
- Ceri Davies - pilot
Geth was the first person to swim the “outer” route of the Bristol Channel (Ilfracombe to Swanswa).
- Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
- Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Equipment used: Textile swimsuit (Funkita single strap one-piece), ear plugs, swim cap, goggles.
- Body of Water: Bristol Channel
- Route Type: one-way channel swim
- Start Location: Glenthorne, Devon, England (51.237124, -3.748071)
- Finish Location: near Monknash Beach (51.419329, -3.579902)
- Minimum Route Distance: 21.6 km (13.4 miles) (map)
Since the swimmer did not reach the traditional finish of this route (Porthcawl, as established by Kevin Murphy), per channel swimming tradition, the route distance is measured as the closest point of land from the start location (near Nash Point, Wales).
LongSwimsDB: Bristol Channel.
- Start: 30 June 2021, 07:00 (British Summer Time, Europe/London, UTC1).
- Finish: 30 June 2021, 16:13
- Elapsed: 9 hours, 13 minutes.
Summary of Conditions
|Water Temp (C)||16.9||18.3|
|Air Temp (C)||15.5||23.3|
Trackpoint frequency: 15 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
Note: Although observer log notes route as “Glenthorne to Porthcawl,” the swimmer did not land in Porthcawl, but significantly short of that, near Monknash Beach, Wales.
The swimmer did not submit a narrative or answer the standard questions.
The swimmer did not submit photos in the requested format, so they are instead available to view as images of a slide deck.